“Probably good if you don't get a room at the front”
Review of Mannings Hotel

Mannings Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed on business and both my colleague and myself were given rooms overlooking the front of the hotel - needless to say with no double glazing to speak of, cobbled streets and noisy party goers passing underneath our windows until gone 4am neither of us got any sleep. Receptionist seemed a bit too keen to try to get us to eat in their restaurant (we didn't as we had already made a reservation elsewhere) - even before I had got into my room she rang up to say they had a table available 'if we wanted it' despite already being told we didn't! Will try again next time I am in Truro on business and hopefully a quieter room at the back of the hotel may be moer conducive to a good night's sleep. Agree re the car park charges . they were not made clear when I booked and are a rip off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel not overlooking the main road
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank David9

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Mannings - yes - very good. Central Location off Boscowen Street and just in Lemon Street. It's a very short walk to the Cathedral and to the market and just over the road to the theatre. So it's location is really excellent. One smallish problem was getting a taxi from the station down to the hotel. I mentioned this at reception and was told that it's always been a problem in Truro. Check-in was swift and friendly - there is no lift - beware those that need help to get above the ground floor. The single room was smaller than I thought it would be from the description but it was clean, warm and comfortable. Each night I slept very well. The rooms were quiet and that is a bonus for me. I was advised to make bookings for a table in the evening but that was not necessary as I ate with friends in the city and in the surrounding districts each night. The room was cleaned efficiently each day. The reception very helpful about the local buses, trains etc., and there were plenty of information about local sights, attractions and events. Breakfast was superb.

Checkout was speedy and efficient and I was offered a taxi back to the station which was not necessary as I was being taken by my friends. The hotel bar was comfortable and pleasant - with a good mix of friendly people. I met the hotel owner Mrs(?) Manning - sorry but I have forgotten her name - who was very solicitious and kind.

My only complaint was the size of the room but overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recomment Mannings to anyone who likes a comfortable hotel in the centre of the wonderful city of Truro

Room Tip: If you are infirm ask for a 1st floor room. Climbing the stairs can be a problem.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank nancledra53
Reviewed 27 December 2011

On route to Falmouth for Christmas, my wife and I had cause to be in St Austell for business on the 23rd and decided to stop in Truro overnight. Having selected this centrally situated hotel and made arrangements to dine elsewhere, within an hour of arrival we sat in the bar and soaked up the atmosphere! We immediately cancelled out table elsewhere and made arrangements to dine in the Hotel and were certainly not disappointed.
Atmosphere, buzz, fast, efficient service with a smile and food that can only be described as superb. We opted for a shared starter of duck and spring onion brochette – WOW! For me followed by a rib eye steak and get this; I don’t do mixed lettuce salads and prefer simple broad leaf lettuce in this case iceberg with cucumber, with lots of onion and tomato with olives and a decent dressing and that’s exactly what I got, no fuss no bother and there was even better to come! As I always do when having a steak and salad, I ask for a fried egg and in many cases cannot get one, but never understand why not; can’t or won’t a Chef lower themselves to simply fry and egg? Manning’s however rose to the challenge and then some. Having placed my order and expecting the usual response from the kitchen, I was more than a little surprised when the waitress returned to enquire as to whether I would like my fried egg with a hard or with a runny yolk – the latter of course!! Now that’s what I call service, especially on a busy Friday night with many of the tables occupied for local firms Christmas parties – in short nothing was too much trouble. In the meantime my wife had blackened –chicken on noodles –another dish worth a try as it looked and tasted superb.
The hotel room was huge with modern facilities and a great en-suite (shower and bath). Two issues however;
Firstly we always sleep with a window open for fresh air. Sadly both fasteners were broken and had been replaced with short bolts, but even with these drawn back the sash could not be raised or lowered, so a job for the housekeeper (room 21).
Secondly, I can understand why a hotel in a City location might seek to charge a fee for parking, but only non residents or those arriving too early or leaving too late. Accordingly, to be charged £6 parking on top of the room rate, especially when we checked in and out in accordance with the specified timetable is in my opinion bordering on a rip-off and at the very least naughty. I appreciate its not expensive, but it’s the principle as any guest is going to want to use the on-site car park, so a note to the Management - please restructure the room rate to include parking fees OR ensure that your reception informs all guests on arrival that use of your car park carries a (slight) surcharge.

As for the question in the title of this review.... the answer is yes!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BM_Pete56
Reviewed 24 December 2011

This is truly a fabulous hotel. On arrival at reception we were greeted by a lovely, friendly lady who was very efficient and helped with parking and getting luggage into hotel. We had a City Double room which was spacious and well equipped, the bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet. The hotel restaurant is amazing - plenty of choice and the service was efficient and friendly, nothing was too much trouble! We opted for the duck bruschetta to share, rib-eye steak and blackened chicken for our main course, the portions were generous, well presented and very tasty. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and was vibrant. The cocktails are a must in the bar! We will definitely stay here again and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 18 December 2011

On a business trip this summer I left my earrings in my room by mistake. I phoned the next day and asked for them to be placed in an envelope with a first class stamp. I was told that I would need to pay £5.00 for them to be sent registered post. I explained that I am out everyday and registered post would be difficult for me. I was happy to take the risk. They still refused. I was told that I would need to phone back with my credit card details and they would be kept in the safe for me. I phoned today and I was shocked to find out that they have been given to a charity shop. I was at no time informed that this would happen. If they don't value their customers enough to put a first class stamp on an envelope or pick up the phone I don't feel that they deserve my business. Needless to say I won't be back. I will instead look for trusted brand names in hotels who offer true customer service.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JanB186363
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed in October for a Girl's few days away. I arrived by train - a short walk downhill to hotel and a very cheap taxi ride back uphill on leaving. The hotel also has gated private parking. Staff could not have been more helpful and friendly - when I left my mobile behind on leaving - it was posted back to me first class arriving within 2 days. Room comfy (we had a king size bed each),fluffy towels, warm and quiet. Hotel really well located near Cathedral and town centre, shops, restaurants - however Mannings Restaurant was so good - delicious food, especially sea food and reasonably priced we ate in every night. Would definately go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have stayed at Mannings many times because the staff really do make it like home, the rooms are above average and the attached restaurant provides the very best food. There is secure parking (chargeable) and being right in the centre of the city, it is an ideal place for a relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: Go for the City rooms ... or apartments if you can afford it
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
#2 of 24 in Falmouth
Penventon Park Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Redruth

Been to Mannings Hotel? Share your experiences!