“Good B&B, Great Driver/Guide for Seeing Beautiful Cornwall”

B&B at the Fieldings
Ranked #13 of 19 Truro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This is a very nice clean B&B in the sweet little town of Truro. Mike and Avril made us feel welcomed and gave us perfect recommendations as to where to eat dinner. We also engaged Mike as our guide around Cornwall. On our own, we could have never found all the wonderful places he showed us. We thoroughly enjoyed our time, and Mike's driving skills are amazing.
Look forward to seeing them again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SusieDoug
There are newer reviews for B&B at the Fieldings

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I am compelled to write about my two stays at this friendly b and b. I felt somewhat annoyed to read the negative comment from AM1976Irieland nothing could be more different from my stay.
I arrived initially early July for a four night stay, Mike and Averil were very welcoming and very informative of what awaits you in Truro and surrounds. As a single traveller I was delighted with my double room, ensuite and window view looking down into the city. Made more enticing by the view of the cathedral day and night. The continental breakfasts were more than enough but the hosts will oblige if you prefer a cooked breakfast. Mike has a wealth of knowledge about Cornwall and his tours are truly amazing, I joined a fellow traveller on the Lands End tour and wasn't expecting four wheel driving through some of the mining landscape, such a memorable experience. Averil is very knowledgeable regarding literature on Cornwall, family history and provided me with lots of information about checking on my Cornish ancestry.
I travelled for three months in the UK and decided to finish off my trip in Truro and unwind in a place I enjoyed at this great b and b. I spent another week and a bit here, beautiful river journeys
and just relaxing were the icing on the cake for me. Made more special by the charming hosts in
this beautiful part of the country.

Room Tip: Quaint and charming rooms with antiques, room at back provides lovely view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank MinkieCanberra
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed at The Fieldings for two nights and the accomodation and breakfast were excellent. The day trips we went on with Mike were very insightful and enjoyable due to his broad knowledge of the local area. We were met at the railway station by Mike and he on our departure he willingly dropped us back at the station.

We would recommend this type of accommodation and tour to those who want to have a more personal experience of Cornwall or those travelling by themeselves.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank london_travellers_11
Reviewed 13 August 2010

In August of this year three of us (all sisters) visited Salisbury, Glastonbury, Truro and many parts of Cornwall, and then went on to Ireland where we stayed in Knock, Clifden, Doolin, and Ennis. In all of these places we stayed in B&B's and had a local driver/guide to ensure we got to see our long list of sites of interest; mostly stone circles, iron and bronze age sites, standing stones, dolmens, old churches, and holy wells. We experienced many B&B's and hosts throughout the 2 week trip, and based on this experience, we would rate the service at the Fieldings very high. We stayed at The Fieldings for 6 days.

We had comfortable rooms - each with a small shower in the room and both sharing a bathroom on the same hall. We enjoyed good continental breakfasts each day and wonderful coffee and tea as desired. The two most notable points to make about this place are its hosts and its books. Averil and Mike are gracious, caring people who we connected with immediately and who felt like family to us. They are "our kind of people".

The house is loaded with books in every nook and hall and shelf; most are about Cornwall or some aspect of Cornish life. They provided a very delightful addition to our tours of the area. Mike was our tour guide/drive each day. We left the house by 9am and returned by 8pm most days. Mike provides great colorful commentary about the history and local lore surrounding the sites we visited. He is an excellent driver and knows every highway, back-road, and country lane. He drives equally well forward as well as in reverse (which is a highly needed skill we found out). We know that we could not have found the sites we wanted to see nor enjoyed ourselves as much if we had not had Mike there. Mike truly has a gift of being able to read his clientele. We felt sure he had our every wish already granted before we thought of it. We highly recommend Mike and Averil if you are looking for a central location for your own Cornwall adventure. We have very fond memories of this trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2009

My wife and I went to Truro on holiday at the end of May this year. We booked 5 nights at "The Fieldings" in Truro based upon the good reviews on Tripadvisor and the pictures on their website. When we arrived we spent an hour looking for the B & B on the road it was listed at. When we finally found it, there was no sign advertising the B & B. I noticed straight away that the house looked nothing like the house on their website and became worried. There was little or no parking outside the house. We were led into the house by Averil Inglefield to the hall, which although old fashioned, looked ok. We were taken upstairs to our "room". As we entered a horrible mouldy smell hit us, the room looked like something out of the 1950's and by the look of it has not been decorated since or had the bed linen changed. There was a shower in the corner of the room, not in an ensuite, just smack band in the corner, upon inspection there was a good quantity of green mold growing inside it. At several places the wallpaper was peeling off the walls and on one wall there was damp running up it. The only window in the room had scaffolding directly outside it and the carpet was covered in all manner of debris, it was disgusting.

My wife and I spent all of about 5 minutes in the room and then left after telling Averil Inglefield that the room was disgusting and that I would not spend time in it if she paid me. We then had the trouble of trying to find somewhere to stay while we were on the first day of out holiday, fortunately we found a Premier Inn just down the road and actually managed to enjoy the rest of our holiday.

I would sincerely try to dissuade anyone from ever staying at this residence.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank AM1976Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2006

We only stayed there for three days, but I was really impressed how much we enjoyed it. The room was good, food was wonderful and Mike's knowledge of Cornwall if truly excellent

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank Lev2
Reviewed 6 August 2006

Fieldings Guest House, 35 Treyew Road, in Truro, is the perfect location for seeing Cornwall. Mike and Averil Inglefield are the perfect hosts. The en-suite room we had was bright and quiet, the beds were comfortable, and the food was fabulous. Guests have the choice of a full English breakfast (eggs, Canadian bacon, sausage, potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms) or a continental breakfast (cereal, croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, tea, and toast). What I loved most about Fieldings was the books. There are books everywhere – in the bedrooms, bathrooms, dining room, hallways. There are books about Cornwall and England, as well as novels set in Cornwall. They also have a wonderful collection of children’s books. Guests are welcome to take the books to their rooms.

In addition to having a B&B that is centrally located for touring Cornwall, Mike Inglefield is an incredibly knowledgeable tour guide. We hired him to drive us for three days. He knows every road in Cornwall. The money we paid him was so well-spent. We were able to view the magnificent scenery while he drove on those impossibly narrow Cornish roads. He took us to places we never would have found on our own. He also knows great places to eat. I will never forget the Knickerbrocker Glory he convinced me to have in a small café on Lizard Point, the southern most point in England! I don’t know what was more unforgettable – the ice cream sundae or the breath-taking scenery all around us. Mike offers five tours that cover the whole of Cornwall or guests can self-design a tour. Mike was so accommodating to even our strangest requests. Being Daphne DuMaurier fans, my traveling companion and I wanted to see Frenchman’s Creek. With his ordinance maps, Mike found it and and we tramped through the woods to reach it. To see the tours that Mike offers, check out: http://www.cornwalltour.com/. With so much to see and such narrow roads, I highly recommend hiring a guide like Mike Inglefield.

7  Thank outoftheclassroom