“Lovely hotel but not suitable if you can't do steps”

White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Platis Gialos
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel but not suitable if you can't do steps”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

As all the other reviewers have said, the hotel is amazing with one of the best rooms I've had; beautifully furnished and amazing views. What is not clear in anyone's brochure though is the fact that you have to walk down (and up! )30 steep concrete steps just to get to reception, and if you are in one of the bungalows or want to get to the pool it's a 7 minute walk up and down some steep steps with no handrail and some very steep paths. I know this does not bother most people, but it would have influenced our choice if we had realised. It also made it impossible for us to use the beaches as all down many steps, and to get to Lassi you have to go along the beach as the road is not safe to walk along. Being picky the terrace bar is lovely, but with no umbrellas for shade nobody can use it during the day as it;s just too hot, and there was nowhere comfortable to sit outside unless you could get to the pool or beach areas. I also don't understand why the process is in place to get people to queue for the dining room, give their room number and be shown to a table; the hotel is too remote for anyone to try and get a free meal and it just causes a jam.
Entertainement limited to musicians on 2 nights. If you want a peaceful holiday this ios the right place, but be aware it's not suitable for people with any kind of walking difficulty

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view as otherwise you face the hillside/road. Bungalows can be a 7 minute walk away an...
1 Thank JEC269
WhiteRocksHotel, The White Rocks team at White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience and that you have think highly of our services. We thank you very much for taking the time to rate us and share with the travel community your thoughts.
In regards to your comment about the street outside the hotel, kindly note that in order to quarantee the safety of our guests, we do have a well lit seafront foot path which is also a wonderful romantic walk from the main building of the complex towards our Corner Bar. Therefore there is absolutely no reason to use the road when you have the option to make a wonderful walk inside the hotel premises.

In regards to your question about the queuing in the Dining Room, kindly note that in any hotel that not all guests have booked a half board accommodation, your hostess needs to register whether you are consuming your half board meal and charge your room account accordingly or check your reservation for an la carte dinner if you are not staying at the hotel. Inevitably when 20 people or more wish to dine at 7.30 sharp, this may produce a temporary queue.

Dear guest, we wish you all the best and we are looking forward into welcoming you in the near future.

The White Rocks team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the White Rocks Hotel at the end of June and what a week. Where do I begin! I guess from the start...

Location
No more than a 15minute transfer from the airport which was perfect and a 7euro taxi away from the main town, Argostoli. You are also a short walk away from the man made resort, Lassi where there are restaurants and bars etc. There is also the costa costa beach there which was the best beach within walking distance. We personally chose to go in to Argostoli when we did venture out which is beautiful and full of great places to eat and drink. If you go in the mornings you can see the majestic loggerhead turtles come into the harbour with the fishing boats - a must see.

Hotel & Rooms
Doesn't look much from the outside as it's shrouded by trees but it was simply fantastic. Spread across the side of a cliff there is so much there. Everything about the hotel is done to such a high standard. We stayed in a sea view bungalow which was AMAZING. Located right next to the pool and private beach we had picturesque views of the ocean and sunset. The bungalows are spacious and there is everything you could possibly need. The bathroom in our bungalow was great, two large sinks, a massive shower and seperated toilet. There was lots of space for hanging up our clothes too. Even the mini bar was well priced. If you want a drink you have the lobby bar, the WR bar, the corner bar and the cocktail bar - all of which are fab. The pool is a good size and we never had problems getting a sunbed even when we strolled down in the middle of the day. The private beach is beautiful. There is loads of seating outside the bars and restaurant where you can watch gorgeous sunset.

The restaurant
Hats off to the chefs. This is by far the best buffet restaurant I have ever eaten from, bar none. The food was completely different every day and completely delicious too. There is a massive variety of meat and veggie dishes. I am greek, so I know greek food and I tell you, this was good. The desserts were what really surprised me, usually they aren't so good in Greece but everything I had (and I had a lot) was great. The restaurant itself is large and you have lots of space. There is an inside and outside bit and the people that work in there are amazing. The guy who greets you on the door is a star and everyone that served us was a delight. The chef comes out and stands in the restaurant whilst you are getting your food and he is funny and charming. If you want to go out for dinner and you are on half board you can swap your dinner for lunch if you ask at reception the day before. We did this a couple of times and lunch food was just a good. Make sure you have a fix beer - much better than Mythos!

The people
What really makes this hotel so great are the people that work in the hotel. Everyone is a true delight. From the guys on reception that helped my boyfriend by ordering flowers from a local florist to be delivered to our bungalow on my birthday and then arranged for the flowers to be put in a vase on display whilst we were out of dinner, to Yiannis the superb barman in the WR Bar who makes the best espresso martini I have ever tasted and made us feel so at home. The maids who clean the rooms are great at what they do and friendly when you bump into them, the guys and girls that serve in the restaurant who can never do too much for you, the porters, the receptionists. Everyone is amazing. You can tell that this is a family run hotel as it has real character. We had the pleasure of sitting in the WR bar with the owners who were holding a private function for the Greece vs Costa Rica WC match and they were lovely people. They sent us dessert and even a round of drinks when Sokratis scored. They engaged with the people in the bar and you can see the wonderful attitude of the staff stems down from them.

I will finish now as this is a long review but as you can tell I just LOVED this place and have already told everyone I could to book to come here. We will be back. Thank you White Rocks for a holiday to remember.

Room Tip: We stayed in a sea front bungalow, well worth the extra money if you have it!
6 Thank LondonKate_10
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience and that you have think highly of our services. We thank you very much for taking the time to rate us and share with the travel community your thoughts and feedback.

Dear White Rocks guest, we wish you all the best and we are looking forward into welcoming you in the near future.

Frinton on sea
Reviewed 9 July 2014

White Rocks is a fantastic hotel providing first class and friendly service, wonderful setting overlooking the Ionian sea, beautiful recently refurbished rooms in both the Hotel and the Bungalows. If you are looking for a peaceful and restful holiday this is the place for you as long as you realise it is on the side of a cliff so there are a lot of steps and slopes to negotiate! This helps to keep you fit despite the copious amounts of excellent food and drinks that you are tempted to enjoy! I would recommend it to couples who want a quiet rest. this hotel is addictive and most people seem to return at least once or twice, some every year.

Room Tip: Always request a seaview room in the hotel or one of the bungalows.
2 Thank Jude1Frintononsea
WhiteRocksHotel, The White Rocks team at White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We cannot thank you enough for your kind words. We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience, that you have think highly of our services and you consider yourself a "White Rocks Addict" !! We thank you very much for taking the time to rate us and share with the travel community your thoughts and feedback.

Dear White Rocks guest, we wish you all the best and we are looking forward into welcoming you again and again in the years to come.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Recently returned from a fabulous week away with my wonderful mum at the White Rocks - what can I say that hasn't already been said? The views from this hotel - where ever you sit/stand are simply second to none, the view is truly amazing and enchanting. We upgraded to a sea-view and if you think the extra money isn't worth it...you are so wrong! We spent ages on our balcony just mesmerized by the stunning view from every angle!

The room was spotlessly clean, spacious and had loads of ‘storage’ space – even for someone who packs too much like me. Both the wardrobe (with loads of ‘sensible’ coat hangers) and the numerous drawers available had loads of space and to be honest, they looked empty after I’d unpacked (whereas usually it looks cramped and there’s certainly no space for anyone else’s clothes!) Bathroom had everything plus more besides that you could want and the shower(s) were fantastic.

The 3 beaches (which are all within walking distance of the hotel) are all different and depending what your personal preferences are, I can’t believe that at least one of them wouldn’t meet all of your desires! The hotel’s ‘private’ beach was pebbly but awesome and extremely charming in some sort of unique way. The pool was also lovely but tended to be hotter than the beaches because of it not getting the breeze that was heavenly, I assure you. The other 2 beaches were both sandy and beautiful – as is everything and everywhere around this hotel. We spent a day at each of the beaches and honestly can’t say we had a favourite as all were so gorgeous in different ways. Likewise, the pool area was lovely with plenty of loungers but the ones on the beach were by far more comfortable!

The pool/beach bar is lovely and set within a garden-like setting overlooking the beach – what can I say… I miss it immensely, just sitting there in the afternoon having a gin and tonic and feeling quite smug because of being somewhere so beautiful and having the time to just sit and watch the world go by….can’t tell you how much I wish we were still there.

We were on a half-board basis which is good because you can exchange your ‘evening meal’ for lunch if you want and we did this a couple of days. The restaurant was excellent (and I’m fussy!) and the staff are in a class of their own. They don’t tend to advertise the fact that soup is available at lunchtime but trust me…ask for it because it is delicious! On one day we were given this as part of our 'meal deal' anyway, but on another we were asked to pay extra for it as it was part of the A La Carte menu – didn’t make much sense to me but it was worth every Euro because it was so tasty.

Breakfast has everything you could possibly want to eat as too do the evening meals – we never had the same thing twice which is good but some days the food was so tasty you wanted the same thing again the next day! Thomson (although the rep is fantastic) don’t seem to let people know about the dress code for the restaurant in the evening – which they should – but the hotel are very clear about it and strict in adhering to it. Men – you need shoes that are not open-toed, long trousers and generally to look smart and ‘dressed’ for dinner – my Dad would have approved! Ladies – you need to dress as you normally would for an evening meal abroad! I must admit that my mum and I quite enjoyed sitting on our balcony or in the lobby bar and playing the game ‘you're not getting in for dinner’ as new guests arrived!

All of the hotel’s bars give exceptional service (as does every department at this hotel) but some drinks were quite costly – for example a glass of sparkling wine or a vodka and tonic were 6 Euros plus and this adds up after a while. I advise you to take the 5 minute walk to the supermarket (not the first one you come across – go to the next one as it’s much better) and either buy a bottle of wine or spirits there (and then get the mixer from the hotel bar with ice, etc) as it works out much cheaper but obviously the hotel don’t advocate such a suggestion!

We couldn’t fault this hotel and both of us wish very much that we were still there – if you are going to this hotel you really don’t know how very lucky you are!

Room Tip: Go for the sea view - this is one hotel where the upgrade is truly worth every penny
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Smurf24
WhiteRocksHotel, White Rocks team at White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience and that you have think highly of our services including our evening dress code. We are very pleased that you have appreciated our private beach, the scenic seafronts, the staff and the food quality. We therefore would like to thank you very much for taking the time to rate us and share with the travel community your thoughts in such a humourous and entertaining language!

Dear White Rocks guest, we wish you all the best and we are looking forward into welcoming you again in the near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just returned from 7 days at White Rocks. Staff very friendly and helpful and the hotel very clean. A great location on the sea front with access to a private beach, which is very stony but free sun beds and a beautiful sandy beach for which there is a small charge not owned by the hotel. The food is good and well presented but after 7 days did feel a little repetitive. Situated close to the centre of Lassi and an array of other bars and restaurants. All in all I would recommend the White Rocks Hotel.

Room Tip: See view rooms are better as other rooms look over wooded areas or car parks.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

We are very pleased that you had a wonderful experience and that you think highly of our services. We thank you very much for taking the time to rate us and share with the travel community your thoughts and feedback.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Excellent hotel in a beautiful setting. Cleanliness of the hotel is second to none. this was our 12th Greek island we have visited and certainly stands out for it's service. I don't need to go over the details because everyone has just about covered them. They have some excellent staff.
Lassi itself doesn't have much to offer and wasted an evening going to Agostoli but with facilities as good as at the White Rocks there was really no need to go anywhere else. Food and drink prices were very fair.
If I was being picky and had any complaint it would be that it would be nice to have somewhere to eat outside as it's so stunning and there could be more entertainment in the evening.
Would certainly go back to see more of Kefalonia.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view. It's worth every penny.
3 Thank angela s
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have just returned from 2 wonderful weeks at the White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows in Kefalonia. We had a bungalow room, which was situated a good 5-10 minute walk from the main hotel building. The room was a good size, plenty of storage space and tea/ coffee making facilities and near the pool and beach. The food was excellent, plenty of choice, well cooked and well presented. Although on occasions the food could be a bit too spicy. A soup option and a cheese board would have been nice.The home made bread was delicious and often still warm. The pool bar offered well filled home made baguettes, pizza and salad.

Everywhere was spotlessly clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is well situated for the local shops at Lassi and the main town of Argostoli, which was a 5 minute bus ride away. Although the buses were not very frequent.

We have enjoyed our stay at White Rocks, but feels it should be highlighted in brochures etc that the bungalows, pools and beach are situated a good distance away from the main hotel (including dining room) and anyone with walking difficulties would find the steps and inclines in the hotel grounds quite challenging.

4 Thank saunders_13
Emelisse Art Hotel
Emelisse Art Hotel
#2 of 7 in Fiscardo
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa

Been to White Rocks Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!