“fantastic experience”

Ranked #9 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Price range: US$7 - US$66
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Robin Hood & Little John is a beautiful country pub surrounded by extensive garden areas. Now under new ownership with resident chef offering great food from sandwiches to A La Carte menu lunchtimes & dinner (excluding Mondays) and freshly prepared Sunday Carvery. Great real ales and extensive wine selection. Family run with a friendly attentive team and warm accommodating atmosphere!
Reviewed 24 June 2013

i was advised to visit this lovely pub whilst in the area. the welcome and service was extremely friendly. decided to stop and eat, the food was great and of a high standard.

I'd recommend this pub to everyone. the couple running it are extremely professional, great staff, fantastic food, friendly locals and the pub and grounds are stunning....

a huge thank you

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I took a friend to eat at this pub as it is very close to where I live. I had been told a new publican was running it and it was good.
Over the last 15 years that I have known of this pub and it is a shame that its fortunes depends on who it runs it.
Unfortunately, I thinks we have another year or so before I get back to this establishment to eat again, or at least until I know it has a new set of publicans and chef.

It started all well with a fairly friendly welcome as I got there. the pub was very busy and I was glad I booked a table.
It was a Friday lunch time in May but with really poor weather outside. and inside it was cold!. one room had the fireplace on, but the room where our table was didn't and it was cold. my friend never took off her coat, I put it on half way through.
We ordered a baguette and a wrap which were described as coming with chips and salad.
It took a while to get our food, but it was understandable as most tables were occupied with patrons.
When our good came it looked lovely, the chips though were less than a handful and as I was travelling I was having this as my main meal of the day I ordered an additional bowl of chips. This was before I tasted the chips on my plate. You were ok if you got the thinly one which were nice and crispy, the minute you got to the mid size or larger ones, you bit onto them and found the centre not cooked.
I asked for the bowl of chips to go back and be cook better and we got back a new bowl of chips which were still uncooked!
The wrap and baguette were really nice and so the filling which was fish for both of us.
When we finished the main course, I looked at the time and there was more than 1/2 hr before I needed to go and catch a train, most tables were empty by now so we decided to order a dessert: ice cream and a sticky toffee pudding with ice cream.
25 minutes later it had not arrived yet. I had to cancel the order or I would have missed my train. as I cancelled the order, the dessert arrived... Shame.
All in all, even though the lady who served us was friendly enough there wasn't warmth and it felt things had to be done her way... difficult to pin-point.
I'll have to wait to the next set of publican to visit this pub again... what a shame :-(

jo h, Manager at Robin Hood & Little John, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Hi Anna

Thank you for your review, I apologise that you did not enjoy your visit with us at the Robin Hood and Little John, I did however expect a review from you.

I think some comments are slightly unfair and a little personal.

I am sorry that you thought the chips were undercooked which we took back to cook further for you, however did not have any complaints from our full restaurant. I understand a table was booked we did offer you a table by the open fire which you declined and opted for a larger table furthest away from our fire, if you were cold that table by the fire was still available we did also have a little heater on. With regards to the puddings we apologise these took so long had we of known that a train was to be caught I would of have our chef make it a priority.

We try to offer good friendly service which I think we offer, we have a lot of good reviews and repeat business here, however understand if we did not suit your taste.

Once again I apologise for your disappointing visit.

Jo Hughes proprietor

Reviewed 27 January 2013

You know there is an old saying,
You go to a restaurant for the first time and its great, so you right a review about it.
But one says when you go back again, its not normally the same?
Well going back to the Robin Hood & Little John Restraunt again on Friday last was great,
For us it had the same atmosphere, happy and very friendly staff, and without doubt the food again was excellent.
So it's my feeling one should always go again to check them out, if you find what we did, then it is a truly great Pub/Restaurant. And it in the country with great scenes etc.
We will defiantly be returning again.
Capt.Harry

Reviewed 2 December 2012

My wife and I called in for a very late Saturday lunch on a cold December day. The pub restaurant was by then almost empty but the welcome was still great.

The Robin Hood and Little John pub is set in a wonderful countryside location. The restaurant section has a late 1940's feel about it; wooden panel work, embossed painted wall paper, white washed ceilings and a burning coal fire in the grate. The atmosphere and music we found both cheerful and relaxing.

For lunch we both very much enjoyed our home made steak and kidney suet puddings served with jackets and ample side vegetables. More vegetables were freely available just for the asking. The weather was too cold for beer so we settled for a couple of glasses of house red with coffee to follow. Price £16.25 per head.

Although personally not a McMullens’s ale fan it has to be said this is one of McMullen’s more genuine and better pubs, providing good value with both fresh food and very friendly service. Certainly well worth a visit.

Directions: The pub can be difficult to find. When driving out from Welwyn take the 1st lane on the right after entering the 30mph zone approaching Codicote. Drive along the twisty lane past Little Orchard Nursery and continue. You will eventually find the pub located further down the same lane on the left.

1  Thank Servicised
jo h, Manager at Robin Hood & Little John, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for a positive and great review, I am delightful you enjoyed your time with us, we try to offer the best standards in food and service. Myself and the team enjoy what we do at the Robin Hood & Little John and am glad it shows.

We have now started to offer either mulled cider or mulled wine perhaps if you are in the area again you may like to try some.

Once again thank you for your review.

Jo
Proprietor

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Went there with some friends from the Gym,
I hand't been there before, but was recommended by one of the guys.

The food was just excellent, my fish (Sea Bass) was one of the best I have had in long time.
and to top it up the wines we had were also excellent.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the restaurant itself is small but very effective.
I was told that it is better to book early as it gets very busy most of the time.
Will defiantly go back sooner than later.
Capt.Harry

1  Thank CaptHarry1
jo h, General Manager at Robin Hood & Little John, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review. I am so glad you enjoyed our pub and our food, We enjoy what we do very much and like to provide good food and service. It makes us so proud to have such nice genuine feedback , we hope to see you again in the future.

Once again Thank you