“Get off the tourist trails and go to Quellomayo!”
Review of Yellow River

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quellomayo
Yellow River
Ranked #1 of 1 Quellomayo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This review is long overdue! This was one of the highlights of our week in Peru. My boyfriend and I stayed here in April 2014 for two days and one night, on our way to Machu Picchu. We would have stopped in on our way back, if we had had the time. Tatiana's place is beautiful, lush, and truly magical. We ate like kings, thanks to her delicious cooking and learned a lot about the area, politics, current issues over dinnertime conversations with her and her father. I can't even count all the fruits and vegetables that grow on their land - coffee, cacao, passion fruit, bananas, avocados...

There are amazing trails - short and long - to wander into the Peruvian jungle. There's even a hot spring down at the Quellomayo river to rest your legs. Tatiana drew us a map of how to get out and trek to M.P, though we really didn't want to leave. We hope to be back soon! Thank you for everything, Tatiana, especially those cheese sandwiches that you sent us off with. They were a life-saver!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Wow, thanks....Tati is a great cook I agree, sorry I didn't get to meet you guys myself, but I'm so pleased that you had a such a good time. Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it and hope you do make it back one day. Safe onward travels and thanks for posting some photos too.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here for two days and absolutely loved it. Andy and Tatiana are wonderful hosts. We loved the freshly ground coffee and the beautiful gardens. The bed was comfy and the room simple but clean and cosy. Plenty of nice walking options and a lovely stop off on the way to or back from MP - we went on the way and got a bus to the train station after. We will certainly be coming back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we remember your visit very fondly and hope that you do get the chance to come again in the future. Say Hi to Rio for us and enjoy the post world-cup peace and quiet.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at Yellow River for 5 nights and would thoroughly recommend it if you're looking for something a bit different. It is remote but that's the beauty of it. It isn't just about the accommodation- which is great for the price it's the whole experience you get from staying with this lovely family. If you're a food lover then you're in the right place (even if you're a vegetarian like me), I was there in June and was surrounded by mandarins, avocados, passionfruit, bananas and the list goes on... The coffee and chocolate workshops they run are really interesting also.
I am left with great memories from my stay- a trip to the hot springs is highly recommended- the walk there is an adventure in itself. If you want to get off the tourist trail then this is the place for you, you're not treated so much as a guest but more of a part of the family which is much better. Thanks again Tatiana & Andrew!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thanks so much for your comments, it was great to get to meet you and up about things back home in the UK. We're glad you managed to find us online (many don't) and that your stay was a good one. It's lovely to be able to share stories and to be honest we learn a lot about Peru through what people tell us of their travels. We loved having you to stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had an amazing stay at Yellow River. Tatiana was a perfect host, cooking up delicious meals, sharing knowledge and stories of the region and showing us how chocolate is made.
Only after going to stay in this small relaxing, quiet Homestay, we can understand the amazing reviews. :)
This homestay is 110% recommended! Make some time before/after Machu Picchu and come to this little piece of heaven.

Also recommended is the half-day trip to the Hot Springs in Santa Teresa! Amazing hike with a reward!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thanks for your lovely, kind words. It's a pleasure to welcome lovely people like yourselves into our home, thanks so much for choosing us, we hope you're well.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 relaxing nights at Yellow River at the end of our 3 month trip to South America. It was definitely our favorite accommodation of our entire trip, and very reasonably priced at $35/pp for lodging, breakfast and dinner. We loved learning about the tropical fruits growing on the farm and particularly loved learning about cacao, going through the whole process from harvest to sipping our own hot chocolate. The location is beautiful, peaceful, and isolated. The perfect way to relax and prepare for our return to reality.

The hosts, Andrew and Tatiana, as well as their beautiful daughter Maya and Tatiana's extended family, were just delightful. They really made us feel like we were in our own home, and we loved sharing the dinner table with them. It was a great opportunity to dive into Peruvian culture and politics from both Andrew's perspective (coming from the UK) and Tatiana's perspective (born and raised in the area). We learned more in our time at the lodge than on any other tour or museum ever could teach us. They also both happen to be fantastic cooks and utilized the amazing produce found right in the farm. Truly delicious!

It is a bit of an adventure to get there, but the road is safe, paved and smooth from Cusco to Santa Maria. It only cost about $9/pp for the four hour van ride but you may have a bit of a wait to depart from the city. It is also close to Urubamba (2.5 hours or so) and may be worth sopping there en route.

I cannot recommend this place enough and if I could do it all again, I would've used this route to go the back way to MP to avoid the mass tourism as much as possible.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hey guys, so glad you enjoyed your stay. It was good to meet you both and get a chance to learn a little about where you live too. Safe return home and if you have any nice pictures we'd love to see them.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed two nights and had a relaxing time. Andrew and Tatiana were great hosts, and showed me the farm where they grow coffee, bananas, pineapples (they grow on the ground, not in trees!)... Andrew showed me how to process coffee using an old grinder, which was pretty cool. The meals were super filling and delicious. I was able to practice my Spanish with Tatiana and her father, who also lives there. One of the best things was the visit to the hot springs, which reminded me of the time I lived in Japan and used to go to onsen quite often. I didn't expect to find anything like that in Peru! After my stay at Yellow River, I went to Aguas Calientes in order to visit Machu Picchu. You start the walk from the hydro-electric dam, and follow the train tracks. It takes about 2.5 hours. It's a pleasant and picturesque walk. I think this could also be done in the reverse, for example, by going to Aguas Calientes first, seeing Machu Picchu, and then finishing by going to Yellow River. The location is beautiful, but a bit remote. (Note: I met Andrew in 1995 when I studied abroad my junior year at the University of Sussex. This is the first time I've visited him in Peru.)

Room Tip: All the rooms seem equally good in terms of location. I was in a room with a double bed, which was c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hey, it was fantastic to see you again after all those years. I'm so glad you liked the place, we're really loving being here in Peru and it was great to show the place to someone from the old days :) I really hope we can return the favour one day and visit you. Love from the family and of course Tyson the dog.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Reccomended by a friend, Yellow River was a calm oasis away from Cusco and the tourist scene. The farm offered a great view into Peruvian agriculture and coffee processing. Visiting Yellow River, the hot springs at Santa Theresa, or hiking through farmland and mountains make for excellent day trips. It's a great place to relax before or after Machu Piccu and Tatiana's cooking is amazing!

• Stayed: May 2014

Thanks for your lovely words. We really enjoyed meeting you and hope that your return to work was smooth. The weather is still just as hot as when you were here... we're hoping for some rain for the farm right now!

Been to Yellow River? Share your experiences!