“Amazing service!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
USA
“Amazing service!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

So this was the third resort we visited in July - August. We wanted to see all of the island. This was the final stop and chosen for total relaxation.

The service is what makes the Ritz brand so vaunted. From the valet quickly learning our names to the awesome cabana attendants to the best beach bartenders this place is about pampering the guests.

The beach was gorgeous! It's only drawback was the afternoon wind. Sometimes the sand blasted us. The resort sits on a bluff above the cove and it's a serious walk for some. Luckily golf carts can provide rides. We loved the slow pace of the resort being far from the beach.

We rented both types of cabanas. The simple one is $100 a day and has a refrigerator with unlimited sodas.

The better kind was $300 a day and we much preferred it. Those cabanas overlooked the pool with a view over the ocean. The others face the pool with the hotel as a background. Those cabanas had televisions, a ceiling fan, robes, a sofa, refrigerator and more room. It's a must.

We had an evening flight out so the hotel let us use stay all day and enjoy the pool. They gave us keys to the gym's private bathrooms so we could shower and change.

An example of the service: my son kept coming back to the cabanas with fruit smoothies. He said the hotel would let him trade in two cans of soda for the delicious smoothies. He did this for days and we made sure he took tips to them. Our last day week mentioned the great deal (especially since the cabanas had unlimited sodas and the smoothies were about $15 each). The bartender said that was definitely not hotel policy. They made him that deal just to be nice. Amazing service!

We loved this resort. I cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2013
2 Thank OregonMichael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Freeport, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The staff was wonderful and ready with bottled water and a map when we ventured out. The resort was very quiet and the food very good. The pool area is fantastic but we wished we could see the ocean more clearly for the price we were paying. However, they do have a nice golf cart shuttle to take us down to the beach and back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Timothy J
Sussex
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I want to start by saying that I am a big fan of the Kapalua area - this was my 5th year there. I think that the slightly worse weather there (compared to the rest of the resorts) is worthwhile for the quieter environment and more lush landscaping. I am also a big fan of the Ritz-Carlton brand, and use it extensively for travel. This was my first stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua, and I’m afraid it disappointed in a number of areas. But I will start with the good stuff. What the RC Kapalua is good at is the general relaxing feel of the common areas - this even includes the pool, which is in marked contrast to any other resort on Maui, and I have seen most of them! Pool service is good, the lobby is understated but classy, and the landscaping is extraordinary - truly beautiful. The staff are also generally excellent in their interactions with guests, though I think training and communication is lacking (more on this later). The staff and food in the Club Lounge was excellent - truly what the RC brand is all about. However, I felt really let down by the hotel in general. 1) The rooms are not well soundproofed - I got only 2 hours sleep on my first night, due to noise from the room above - they weren’t being noisy, but we could hear every little sound they made, furniture they moved. Then noise started from two separate parties outside near the pool area - a post-wedding party in one hot tub and a spring break group in another. I called the front desk to let them know, as it was 11:20 at night. After 20 minutes, nothing had changed, and the noise got worse with singing, someone’s iPod dock, etc. So I got my clothes back on and went to see the front desk in person. When I got back to my room, the sound all continued for a good 30 minutes more, before it stopped after midnight. The following day, there was no follow up from the front desk or management, and I had even emailed them too. So I asked to see a manager, and the Rooms Executive met with me. She was excellent in her customer service, and the hotel moved our room to a top floor so we couldn’t hear upstairs noise, and gave us Club access, and also refunded some of our room charges. This was all excellent follow-up, but the hotel did not do any of it pro-actively, and I would still have preferred to have just not had the noise in the first place. The parties were not quietened as they should have been, and the soundproofing issues (the new top-floor room still had some issues, with noise from below this time!) are not acceptable in a 5 star hotel. 2) Housekeeping at the hotel is inconsistent - they are all friendly staff, but one day, they randomly set out our sofabed for no apparent reason, they failed to replenish our toiletries for 3 days running (they finally did so after we left empty toiletries in the middle of the bathroom floor), and generally had different level of service every day. 3) The TV system was down and had been down for many weeks I gather. This meant you could watch cable TV, but no movies, no hotel services, and an annoying process of turning on the TV each time to be greeted by a loud pop sound and a "Missing Link" screen. Just all felt cheap and again not 5-star. 4) The pool was too cold to get in EVERY DAY of our stay. The pool was empty even on the hottest days - everyone that tried to get in, immediately decided against it. This was a pretty clear signal to the staff that something was wrong, surely? Every other resort has people enjoying the pools all day, while RC Kapalua has three giant empty pools. Even worse, we asked 4 people about this, including the hotel manager, and got 4 entirely different responses. Very weird. One pool attendant told me the flame for the heater was the wrong colour so they couldn’t use it as it wasn’t safe. Another pool attendant told me they were fixing it that afternoon. Front desk told me that the heater had been checked, was working perfectly and that it was the weather that made the pool feel cold. And finally the hotel manager wrote me a nice email that thanked me for bringing it to his attention, and implied he had no idea there was an issue. Bizarre. 85F and no one in the pool - what? Basically the only consistently good service we had at the hotel was from the Club staff - and I therefore ask the question of why should you have to pay an extra $290/night (for Club access) to get excellent service at a 5-star hotel? Perhaps because this is ACTUALLY a four-star hotel in a five-star location. Very disappointed and sad - want to keep visitng Kapalua, but can’t stay at the RC again in its current state. Lower your expectations and you might still love it though.

Room Tip: Top floors best to avoid hearing neighbours, and of course for views. Club service excellent and exc...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank InmateSussex
The Ritz Carlto... K, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Aloha, I appreciate the candid feedback you provided about your experience - both the areas you enjoyed in addition to areas where we can improve. And I thank you again for bringing the pool temperature to my attention during your stay. As a five-star hotel, we pride ourselves in providing the finest personal service and facilities for each of our guests and I deeply regret that we fell short in some key areas while you were staying with us. We truly value your opinion and I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about the rest of your stay so I can take the proper action. I may be reached at your convenience via phone 808-665-7037 or again by email ian.mcphee@ritzcarlton.com. Me Ke Aloha Pumehana (with warmest regards), Ian McPhee, Hotel Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We just returned from our family vacation to Maui and Oahu. We stayed at the Ritz in a one bedroom residential suite with a kitchenette for 6 nights. We were impressed with all aspects of this hotel (not sure how people can say this isn't 5 star - those people must be incredibly spoiled!). We loved our room - it was the perfect size for our family of four. Our room was on the fifth floor overlooking the mountains and ocean - the view was absolutely spectacular! We found the service to be outstanding - we were immediately welcomed with lei's upon arrival. Our room was attended twice per day - it was impeccably clean.

The pool area was beautiful and had plenty of room for families and adults traveling without kids (separate pools). It was definitely windy by the pool (and we had a couple of quick rain showers) but I didn't mind - it was very comfortable.

The grounds of this hotel are among the nicest I've ever seen. Its very secluded and peaceful, but you're still a quick drive from some larger towns for shopping and meals (we loved visiting Lahaina!).

The staff at the Cousteau Ambassador program on the hotel grounds were also excellent. We did the whale watching zodiac tour with Chelsea and had a fantastic afternoon. Definitely the most memorable afternoon of our vacation!

We stayed at this hotel using Marriott Rewards as my husband is a platinum member - but we would definitely return to this hotel even if we could not use points. It was everything I expected and more!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed here last month and had some great moments. First, the location is built right next to an ancient Hawaiian burial site, so some great undisturbed views of the Pacific. The rooms are well appointed and you get a nice set up of Mai Tai's on your first night in. The service in the bar and by the pool is great. Because the pool is multi- level there is more than enough room for grown ups and the younger crowd. Opportunity areas: wait staff in the main restaurant, too little activity or destinations on property. The way the elevators are set up to go to the bottom level is like going around the river and through the woods just to go to the pool or our room, which as a platinum member we were pretty disappointed about.

All in all, for the money, we expected more overall.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowpeach
Dallas
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife, son and I stayed at this property last November. We had an ocean front room and it was nothing short of spectacular. Yes, this is a pricey place to stay and there could be some debate about that, but then again, you are paying for service and the view. Make no mistake, my wife and I will would come back here if we have a chance. My son who is in his twenties, never misses a trip with dad and mom to Hawaii. He had nothing but praise for the sheer beauty of this place. Go enjoy, sit a the pool and let them bring you the drinks. Also, don't miss the sushi bar, that's a must if you stay there.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean front room. There is no obstruction of the view and you can watch the whales. We saw...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Winfield, IN.
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were well taken care of by everyone at this fabulous hotel.
We included the breakfast in our package and it was a highlight of each day. Service was flawless.
I can't say enough good things about staff there from front desk personnel to cleaning staff.
They even sent us a beautiful plate with chocolate covered strawberries on our 40th anniversary then local beers and snacks on my husband's birthday.
We will definitely stay here on our next visit.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!