“SO-SO Service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
“SO-SO Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are accustomed to five star service and expect every little thing to be taken care of for you, this is not the place for you. Although the hotel's housekeeping, pool and concierge service are exceptional, every other area of the hotel could use some more training. The Taxi coordinator, Ruth, was on point about 85% of the time. We would order taxi's in advance, only to wait an additional 20 minutes for a cab, making us late to various activities. We also overheard other guests complain due to lost rental cars and over an hour wait for their luggage to be delivered to their room. The Beach needs a good raking and constant clean up. There are no chairs or servers on the beach, thus creating a mass amount of towels and plastic cups being left behind. The service at the pool bar restaurant could be far more attentive. Some tables were left unattended to, resulting in several birds eating leftovers. The golf cart that is assigned to take you up and down the hill, from to the hotel to the beach, is rarely there. This hotel is a gorgeous property and that staff is good but not great. They very rarely go that extra mile that other five star resorts usually do. For example, most five star hotels are in the habit of escorting you to locations on the hotel, if asked for directions. This Ritz attempts to give you directions but you are mostly on your own. Instead of being offered things, you are constantly asking. There isn't a lot wrong with this hotel, the staff are simply missing that extra level of service. I would expect this to be rated a 4 star hotel, not 5.

Room Tip: Don't expect a full ocean view when booking a deluxe ocean view room. You will have to lean over...
4 Thank GiaNinna S
The Ritz Carlto... K, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Aloha GiaNinna S, I deeply apologize that our service did not exceed your expectations. Our ladies and gentlemen go through intense and continual guest service training to ensure that they deliver excellent service to our guests and I am sorry to hear that you experienced anything less. I have made notes on each point that you outlined and will address it with the team so we can continue to improve. Should you like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at ian.mcphee@ritzcarlton.com or by phone at 808-665-7037. Mahalo again for taking the time to leave your review and I hope that you will consider The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua for a future stay. Me Ke Aloha Pumehana, Ian McPhee, Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I couldn't imagine a hotel experience exceeding the one I enjoyed at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua. The customer care team was remarkably thoughtful as they helped us celebrate our honeymoon with champagne and two deliveries of various treats. I can't imagine better customer service exists anywhere else in the world.

With only 3 visits to Maui, I am far from an expert. However, the resort's pool, cove, spa and gym created an environment second to none. The only reason this resort receives a "very good" in lieu of "excellent" is price. I realize that you get what you pay for and I respect that axiom. With that said, I found the $30/day "resort fee" to be too "Vegas Strip" for my taste and I found the cost for a shared dinner (one drink apiece, one app, one salad, one main course and a dessert) about 30% over what I would have expected to pay for a meal with a view of the Pacific. *Special note… For the very best in professional service, make a point to dine at the resort's Terrace restaurant and PLEASE request Robert (Roe-bare)… you won't be sorry.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We chose The Ritz over The Four Seasons based on family friends who have stayed at both.

The Ritz level of service even prior to our arrival was honestly second to none and the Reservations Supervisor Jim Forkner is a global stand out when it comes to true 5 star service.

We had a few issues with our original reservation due to The Ritz doing maintenance on the residence/villa accommodation which we had booked and advanced paid for.

My initial reaction was to simply cancel and go to The Four Seasons, however the way Jim personally looked after not only my concerns but went out of his way to ensure a happy outcome was enough for me to retain my booking with The Ritz.

I also had my sister in law and brother in law stay her just prior to our arrival and they also had nothing but the utmost praise for Jim and in fact all the team at The Ritz.

The service truly is second to none.

The resort is beautiful as are the flowing pool/s and the resort location itself.

There are some not to be missed restaurants and attractions near by such as Merriman's restaurant which we feel is one of the best in Maui and the nice thing is The Ritz shuttle will take you and pick you up by the shuttle. Kapalua Beach (where Merriman's is) is not to be missed especially if you enjoy snorkeling. On one 20 min swim we were lucky enough to encounter 3 turtles which to swim with is just a beautiful experience in itself.

Breakfast: Being lucky enough to have traveled a large portion of the world we'd say The Ritz buffet breakfast is in fact poor and offers little variety and by no means leading the way for 5 star. It doesn't help that the usual Terrace restaurant where breakfast is apparently served is closed for work and hence breakfast is set up in a temporary location where we have been unable to order anything from the ala carte menu.

Pool service/food: The Ritz offers a somewhat limited food and drink menu by the pool. That said we did find the food very good as was the service most days, however once or twice it was very difficult to in fact order and on one occasion I had to find the gentleman twice to remind him we were still missing part of our order, which was met with a lack of care to be honest. That said the other pool attendants were exceptional, it was simply someone having a bad day I guess... The pool is apparently 24hours, yet you can't order a drink or a snack after 5pm which seems a little too early to shut things down.

Private dinning: We looked into this option for a private dinning experience, and although we don't mind spending on an amazing meal we found The Ritz pricing nothing short of ridiculous and hence we took our money elsewhere.

Suites: Although we didn't get what we originally booked being an ocean front villa, we were put in an ocean front suite (with some extras thanks again to Jim) which is, as stated at the ocean front of the complex. We generally stay in ocean front villas or ocean front suites, so know this level of accommodation very well including price/value for money and this is where The Ritz falls a little short. Although a beautiful suite, good size and good outlook the suite is a little out dated with some of the furniture and could do with a modern/fresh touch. All we can do is compare resort to resort inc size, view, location and price and The Ritz would be down on the list for the price per night for the ocean front suite based on our personal travel.

Overall/summary: Service is second to none from the second you drive up right through to the beautiful housekeeping team who never have anything other than an amazing smile to greet you time and time again as your paths cross - they are truly just lovely.

The resort itself is beautiful as is the location and it's just unfortunate timing that during our stay several parts of the resort are under renovation including usual breakfast restaurant.

At this stage I know we'll again return to Maui, but I'm just not sure if we'll return to The Ritz.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I was skeptical about the location BEFORE we arrived. The book about Maui warned it was not a convenient location however, the location was second only to the crazy good customer service!! We walked the beach at Kanapali, where most of the other name- brand resorts were & couldn't wait to get back to "our Ritz". The beach behind our hotel was beautiful & never crowded. The grounds are breath taking & literally no one is there other than ritz guests. The other hotels were right on top of each other & bordered a very crowded public walkway. We were 20 mins from lahaina, a city full of shopping & restaurants & even closer to smaller shopping centers, yet we felt we were in the country. Customer service : 2nd to NONE!!! Valets always offered bottled water/towels & to put the top down on our car as well as directions & advice if needed. Pool attendants offered to polish your sunglasses & offered fresh fruit on skewers IN the pool as you swam. I could go on & on....if you do one thing in Maui, I recommend you stay at the Ritz!!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Jvspen
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I spent a week at this resort in early April and had a wonderful time. Folks like Kris, Lawrence, Franklin, and Claudia, made this trip extra special. The customer service and attention to detail made me feel like I was a very important guest throughout my entire visit. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. They even have two little mascots(pot-belly pigs) Loco and Moco that come out during the day and visit you! I would highly recommend staying here on your next visit if you want to explore the beautiful offerings of Maui, in addition to being treated like a celebrity! :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lisa m
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a 5 night stay here, rooms spacious with nice outdoor area. We had a room overlooking the gardens which was nice and quiet. Pools and grounds are well kept. Staff are lovely and very helpful. Ate at all the restaurants, favourite was the beach side restaurant, great to have lunch overlooking he ocean. The only negative thing is there is no shaded areas at the pool and no umbrellas. You can hire a cabana but it's $50, it seems a bit expensive just to be shaded from the sun!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmandatheNurse
Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

First time in Maui and I'm glad we picked this hotel. Having stayed at other Ritz-Carltons, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. I booked an ocean view room which had a perfect view of the pool and a good ocean view from the balcony. I was offered an upgrade to an ocean front room for an additional $400/night, I checked it out but I preferred my view. The grounds were very well kept, the service was impeccable, the two restaurants we tried were top notch, I could find nothing wrong with this place. We had initally tried the Grand Wailea in Kihei but it was fully booked, this one is a little further from the airport than expected but the drive up there is beautiful and the hotel is very quiet. My wife doesn't really enjoy travelling as she's most comfortable in her own bed however, she had no complaints about this hotel which says a lot.
. .

2 Thank Babajide O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!