“Wonderful”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. The service is impeccable, the rooms are beautiful, the food is magnificent, and the ambiance is wonderful. I've been coming here since I was 18 (15 years!) and I can't wait to come back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coco G
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in a few hours back. Certainly not ritz quality. We got here after a long journey from the east coast. Car rental and traffic and lunch got us here after 18 hours door to door. As we reached the hotel I was on the passenger side. The bellman opened the door without my being aware of him being there and there dropped my camera. No apologies. Then he doesn't even bother to give a luggage tag. After tracking the luggage and what seemed like a convoluted mile long walk the assigned room on the third floor facing the golf course had an outdoor patio that had a feel of a motel to it. No privacy. Walk out straight onto to the walkway. All that aside, we were charged $30
Resort fee for wifi and water and coffee and tea in the room. Water? No where to be found. Towels not enough and coffee machine has all
Kinds of leafy gunk in it. Don't know when they cleaned it last. I have called twice to get us a different unit and I was asked why I wanted a "new" unit. I don't want a new one I just want a clean one. As I write this it's been over an hour and I am still waiting for my coffee machine. Perhaps I should ask for a refund of $30. Can I give a 0? Would love to do that!

14  Thank arndtheworld
The Ritz Carlto... K, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Aloha arndtheworld,

Please accept my deepest apologies for the experience you described below. This is certainly not indicative of The Ritz-Carlton service for which we are known. I will certainly address this with my team, but would also appreciate the opportunity to speak with in further detail. At your convenience, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 808-665-7037 or via email at ian.mcphee@ritzcarlton.com.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana (with warmest regards),
Ian McPhee
Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently returned from a 5 day vacation with my girlfriend to Maui for my birthday. As far as the hotel goes, it was amazing. At night the grounds are lit with gas torches and give the hotel a really good vacation feel. The beach is really nice as well. We saw several turtles right from the beach. The food was good, the sushi was really good. The one glaring negative is the wind. It was windy the entire time we were there, we drove to the southern half of the island where the weather was much more normal, but when you get out of the pool or the beach the wind makes things a little rough. One other complaint is the beach is a pretty long way away from the hotel if you can catch a golf cart its not bad if not it sucks. Overall i dont think I will go back, but I dont really like Hawaii anyway so Im a little biased.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neilhurlock420
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is an all-around great hotel. I recently stayed here with my family of 4, and everyone enjoyed it. There are three pools, one being a relaxing adult pool, and two hot tubs. The kids loved the shuffleboard court and the bocci game, which are conveniently located right near the third pool. There is a beach, but it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk all the way down there. Although, there is a golf cart that takes you up and down the hill to the beach, if you are there to catch it on time. The basketball and tennis courts that are located by the beach are a bonus. There is also a great field with soccer nets, and a lacrosse set. Although we did not participate in the kids club, it sounded great, with all of the various activities they do, including snorkeling & underwater photography. If you have time, stop by & see the two pigs that are located near the sports courts. The kids love petting them & watching them eat lunch. The suite my family stayed in was very spacious, and the employees are very helpful. Grace, at the front desk, was especially helpful & friendly to us. Overall, the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua was a great experience for my family of 4, so I would recommend staying there.

6  Thank surfergirl560
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is close enough to Lahina to allow you access to great shopping and dining as needed ... Yet far enough away to give you a peaceful experience. And a different weather experience. (It showers more up here and is not as boiling hot as Lahina)
The hotel has a shuttle to a few restaurants off property that are incredible. Merrimans is the best - go at 3 for happy hour to get great prices and great food. There is a great little store in walking distance to get all the drinks / food your family could want at a cheaper price vs the hotel. The hotel breakfast buffet was lovely- you can order extra items from your server like eggs benedict or fresh donuts. There is different fresh juice tonic included in it each morning too.
But rent a car for your trip if you want to avoid a bunch of cabs to get around to Lahina or Ka'anapali for shopping. They are not cheap.
Ocean-view rooms are a view from the balcony only but they do put great seating on the balcony for that.
The suites have an awesome well equipped kitchen. Dishwasher, frig and freezer make it like home. All the bar glasses you could want w a shaker a blender etc it is a perfect room for entertaining esp if you are traveling w a group.
The pool staff is friendly and helpful. The pool looks out at the beach but the beach is a walk down a path away. Note - it is not real close.
Nice amenities for activities - soccer and lacrosse nets are available as are tennis courts at no fee. And a croquet lawn is right behind the pool.
There is a hiking trail along the water that makes for a great morning hike along the golf course.
The spa is fairly small but well appointed and service was good. Cicy in the spa did an awesome job helping me select services.
The fitness center has everything needed including some free classes - barefoot boot camp w Claudia was great. Yoga is 20 bucks but worth it if you like a more intense class, we left sweating!!!

5  Thank SharaAbra
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have been here for a week celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary! Flat out best experience of our lives and the ladies and gentlemen of the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua have created wow moments for us each and every day! Treat yourself to this experience! It will be for you as it was us "unforgettable"! A special shout out to Annie who Kris who went way above the call of duty to help my wife and in our celebration! Both of you have my eternal gratitude!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John R
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We've been to Hawaii a number of times but this trip was our first time to Maui. The hotel is located very far from the airport and other attractions, maybe about 40 min drive. But it's beautiful, we had the best view and the best sunset, the staff is very nice and welcoming, and more importantly the crowd is nice, well, that's what you expect from Ritz, they never fail us. The restaurants were good, the room was very comfortable and clean and spacious with a very nice balcony facing the ocean. It has a small beach and it is very close to an upscale neighborhood and many gulf courses, I would say it's good for who like the resort idea, we were a bit bored but not because of the hotel, but because of Maui itself.

Room Tip: Partial view rooms that are not blocked by the tall trees are good enough to have an ocean view, no...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Calisun77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!