The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The Kapalua Villas, Maui(Kapalua)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$1,402
US$1,351
US$384
US$360
US$251
US$296
Aston at Papakea Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$302
US$484
US$466
US$525
3,664 results
All reviewsthe banyan treeclub levelresidential suiteburger shackhonolua storesushi restaurantterrace restaurantour honeymoonkapalua areadt fleming beachfour seasonspineapple grillcoastal trailplantation housegeneral storelobby barbeautiful property
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Your first impression of the lobby and reception area is not indicative of what you will experience in the rest of the hotel. The lobby looks like it could be in Kansas City as opposed to Kapalua...notwithstanding the view at the lobby end, of course. The point is that the lobby, flanked by a routine sushi restaurant and a ho-hum lobby bar, does not do the rest of the hotel justice. I want a striking lobby and a fun lobby bar; this is a vacation spot and I want to be put in vacation mood immediately! The Riza Carlton is lacking there. However, that is about as bad as it ever gets. The rest of the hotel and the hotel grounds are immaculately manicured and maintained. It is a beautiful property in a beautiful location. I was in some sort of a junior suite with a living room, kitchen, and bedroom. The room was spacious and decorated tastefully. The bathroom is way too small! The room had two balconies which I thoroughly enjoyed in the late afternoons and mornings. The bed and linens were heavenly and the air conditioners kept the room cooled perfectly day and night. The pool area is great with a mix of adult and kid pools depending on your preference or mood. I had no problem finding chaise lounges and there seemed to be no problem with the early morning "chair reservers" that frequent tropical pools; pool staff kept an eye out for that. Shade at the pool was at a premium as there are no umbrellas (too windy I suspect) and not a lot of shade trees. Cabanas were available to rent if you wanted some time out of the brilliant sunshine. The pool food menu was adequate, but could use some enhancement as the choices are insufficient if you are a guest for several days as I was. The pool drink menu was inventive; I found the sangrias to be especially tasty! Be aware- the hotel is on the northwest point on the island and it is windy. Not just a little breezy, but downright gusty pretty much all day/night. It did not bother me as it provided a nice cool-down from the perpetual 85 degree sun during my July stay. However, this may be a different story during another time of the year. The Kapalua area is 20 minutes by cars to LaHaina and 10 minutes to Kaanapali; sometimes there was traffic. Otherwise, there are several restaurants (don't miss Merrimans), a general store, a delightful wine bar, and lots of golf all within the Kapalua enclave. The hotel provides free shuttle service within Kapalua...although you can pretty much walk anywhere. There is a great 2 mile beach trail that is perfect for exercise and runs from the Ritz Carlton throughout Kapalua. Service at the hotel was expectantly exceptional. Everyone from the concierges to pool staff to bell staff to wait staff was cheery and helpful....of course, they are in Hawaii why would they be anything else?1? Generally, I thought the same about the employees of all of the restaurants and shops, etc that I frequented during my trip. It was a welcome change from the mood and service you sometimes receive even at high end resorts. I did find that the housekeeping staff was poor. I noticed that the room was not cleaned thoroughly on several occasions. Toiletries and towels were not replaced. Parking is expensive at the hotel and you do need a car if you ever plan to leave the hotel confines. The resort fee seems to cover nothing but internet access and at $30 per day seems excessive for what you are getting/using. I often judge a property on my likelihood to return and for the Ritz Carlton I would return without hesitation. The hotel is expensive- rooms, food, drinks, everything. You do, for the post part, get what you pay for at this hotel. I was blown away and at the same time blown away! Also, if you are thinking about this area of Hawaii, you should also consider the new Montage Hotel which is very close to the Ritz Carlton, but sits in a more favorable geographic/climate location. I had breakfast and drinks at the Montage and it is a stunning property, seemingly worthy of consideration.

Room Tip: East facing rooms get the am sun that really start to heat up the room. Because of the way the hotel is situated and proximity to the beach, there are not a lot of rooms that are truly "full oceanview". Save a couple of bucks and request a partial ocean view on a high floor- probably just as good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Latitudes_Dancer
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Ritz Carlton Kapalua is the best of the best. We felt so relaxed and comfortable. The entire trip was wonderful. The level of customer service at the Ritz Carlton is unparalleled. Everyone we met who worked there were so kind and helpful. We really enjoyed visiting with all of the employees we encountered. The rooms, cleanliness, and food was phenomenal too.

I loved the three tiered pool. My husband and I very much enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the adult pool. The family pools were great too… but as a couple we loved the quiet. The entire trip was peaceful, easy, and really perfect. I personally loved the breeze… it felt cooler than other parts of the island, but plenty hot to swim and lay out. After visiting Kaanapali Beach and Wailea, we were really really sold on Kapalua. It's calm and less crowded, over all the atmosphere in Kapalua was the perfect fit for us. You can be as busy exploring the beautiful surroundings or as relaxed as you'd like.

We really enjoyed talking the employees and guests about their recommended activities. Thanks to their advice we found an amazing snorkeling spot Kapalua Bay Beach and we swam with turtles, twice! We've stayed at many 4-5 star hotels around the world, and yours is one of our favorites. Thank you so much... We will be back! We booked through Costco travel and it was great!!!

Room Tip: We had a basic room and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NRS5
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The concierge here makes the ENTIRE place. We booked all of activities and restaurant reservations through them and they were great! AMAZING!

The hotel is quite large and to get to your room is quite the experience through mazes, etc. However, it is worth it. We would stay here over the south side of the island if we were to go here again.

It was a wonderful experience!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brivid B
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent the fourth of July week with a 17-member extended family group. A few things: 1) I regularly work and vacation in Hawaii, and have stayed at many hotels on all four of the primary islands; and, 2) I had low expectations for this property based on comments from friends (several years ago, prior to the 2007 renovation). Overall we found that the property was beautiful, the service was good and the rooms were comfortable. I was concerned about the proximity to the beach - the hotel is not direct ocean-front - the beach is accessed via a path and is 100-200 yards away from the hotel. While it was a bit of a hike, there is a restaurant and towel service at the beach, and the separation added to the low-density feel of the property in general. The only real issue arose at checkout as it related to billing, which caused us to have to spend 30 extra minutes at the front desk figuring things out. I also agree with other reviewers that the resort fee and parking fee are silly - I understand that resort fees are part of the game now, but they are so annoying nonetheless and would prefer to have an all-in rate. All that being said, we would absolutely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. The service is impeccable, the rooms are beautiful, the food is magnificent, and the ambiance is wonderful. I've been coming here since I was 18 (15 years!) and I can't wait to come back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple