“Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

A 15 minute walk along stunning cliffs to get to the most beautiful bay. Great beach for kids, very protected.

North Vancouver, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Gorgeous little gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This little bay is like a jewel in the crown of Maui. There is a white sand beach and beautiful warm water with waves perfect for kids. Just off shore is great snorkelling. It has a parking lot above with bathrooms and showers for cleaning off at the end.

New York City, New York
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“3.5 Dots: Picturesque Beach with ok snorkeling.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

My husband and I came to this beach one morning for snorkeling. It is a very picturesque crescent shaped beach with snorkeling on the left side (when facing the water). I am a beginner snorkeler, so I did not find the snorkeling as safe and as easy as the snorkeling in front of the Westin. There are some natural shady spots under the coconuts trees which was really nice, especially for my husband. Worth a look but I enjoyed Napili Bay which is next to Kapalua better.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“High prices, poor service at rental shack”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Kapalua bay is a beautiful beach. However, we found the service at the Kapalua Dive Co rental shack very poor. The prices of snorkel and view board rentals are exorbitant. About six times as much as you would pay in Lahaina. After renting snorkel equipment for me and my daughter, I struggled with getting her mask and fins fitting right for about half an hour (we are experienced snorkelers). When she decided she would rather do the view board like her brother, we went back to swap out the snorkels that neither of us had even gotten in the water with. They charged us for an hour rental of snorkel gear plus the rental of the viewboard plus an extra charge for fins with the viewboard. All totaled it was $52 for under an hour of swimming with viewboards, more than our daily car rental. My advice, visit this beach but get your gear elsewhere.

1 Thank VTtravelers4
Kitchener, Canada
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“A snorkeling and Swimming Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

This beach is just north of Napili beach off of the Lower Honoapiilami Road. There is a small road that goes part way down to the beach with parking along both sides or you can park out on the main road (on the shoulders). We were here around 11:00 and parked on the main road

This bay is very pretty and not very large. Not great if you want to go for LONG walks along the beach as there is a point on each end. Tip to tip this beach may be 400-500 metres wide (not a great judge of distance).

The water and undertow is mild here compared to other beaches on Maui. Lots of people snorkeling on the far end of both sides. I took my gear out on the LEFT SIDE (as you face the water)... The water was a bit turned up this day so the it was a bit cloudy near shore but as I worked my out it cleared up a bit. Lots of coral and different types of fish. No big schools of fish but enough to keep you interested. I did talk to a few people on the beach and they said the day before was excellent for visibility. So obviously you are taking your chances from day to day.

Yes the water is calmer for swimming but it is also very rocky in the water, so wear water shoes to avoid stubbing your toes.

To the RIGHT SIDE of the beach is a place to rent equipment - snorkeling gear, booggie boards etc. Way out near the points, there is a very good break where the waves were pretty large and watched a few experienced boogie boarders ride these. If you know what you are doing on a board, then its a great spot to boogie board but NOT for the rookies.

Stunning views and warm calm water make this a beach worth visiting

Visited September 2011