“A perfect day of golf”

Kapalua Plantation Course
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Kapalua
More attraction details
Owner description: Consistently ranked as the #1 golf course in Hawaii, playing The Plantation Course is sure to be on every golfer's bucket list. Designed by Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore, the course was designed on a grand scale in keeping with its location on the slopes of the West Maui Mountains and offers dramatic ocean views from virtually every hole. Its lengthy 7,411 yard par 73 layout challenges the pros but it's wide fairways and generous greens make it very playable for the average golfer. With dramatic elevation changes, this course offers plenty of downhill tee shots. You'll feel like one of the pros when - with the aid of the aggressive slope of the 18th fairway - you will enjoy hitting one of the longest drives of your life. The Plantation Course is the site of the PGA TOUR Hyundai Tournament of Champions each January featuring an elite field of previous year's PGA TOUR winners.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This was a gift to my husband for his birthday -- and he absolutely loved it. He had an early morning tee-time (I was a cart rider). They have this place run so smoothly. You pull up, drop off the clubs then can go park. They have a (small) area to practice a few balls before you start your game. The course is kept up so nicely. The views are stunning. The carts had coolers with ice and 2 bottles of water for you, which was a nice touch. We were in a group of 4 guys playing, and one guy got a caddie. I wish I knew his name, but he was awesome. He worked so hard at helping that guy (and also helped everyone too -- finding balls, giving a bit of advice here or there, etc). When you come back to the clubhouse they make you a complimentary personalized name tag for your golf bag. My husband loved the course, but found a few things more challenging than at home -- slick greens, lots of deep sand traps, elevation changes, etc. If you can make the time for a bit of golf here on Maui, it's worth it!

1  Thank Jen E
"play golf"
"average golfer"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2014

we played the ocean course and really enjoyed the layout and especially the par 3 over the raven by dr. flemings beach, quite a site to see and play, keep it left and let it roll down to the green.
have eaten at the resturant several times always a treat especially if you can get an table on the lanai looking down the first hole fairway, still can't believe that's a par 4 as if you drive it your in the raivne if you lay up you'll never make par. great service at the planataion returant get a bottle of wine and enjoy the sunset that you can't beat.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I read the previous reviews that complained about the staff at this course and I must say that we were a little apprehensive about our scheduled round of golf.
I have to start with how well we were treated by the entire staff from the pro shop, cart folks, to the starter. At the turn, we even joked that we could use a few extra balls and one of the cart crew flipped us a couple of spares that they had accumulated. Nice touch.
The course is as beautiful as others have mentioned. The layout is spectacular with elevation changes and blind shots from all of the various tee boxes. The course was in fantastic shape and although the pace was slow, we didn't seem to wait long between shots.
We also played Wailea Gold on this trip and it cannot compare to this course.
If you are in Maui, this is the course to play!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is just a great course. The view doesn't hurt either. It's expensive, and it's HARD, but it is the second best course I've every played (after Pebble Beach). I played three times on this trip, all in the morning. The staff was great, it wasn't too busy - never played in a foursome. Two twosomes and a threesome. Great kids rate (in comparison to the rack rate) so took my 12 year old to play. Great experience for father-son time. It is a course that you need to get used to. The starter gave us great info on the wind, the break toward the ocean, the grain of the greens. He saved me shots for sure.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2014

All of the reviews that rave about this place are true. Some complained of poor service but I had nothing but excellent, friendly and professional service. I played 3 rounds here during a nine-day stay. All were completed within 4 to 4 and a half hours. This course is not for occasional golfers who struggle to hit a high ball. There are quite a few carries required. The Bay course is quite nice and certainly more enjoyable for the occasional golfer who wants to feel good about their round.
That being said...this is a great course. It has very long downhill-downwind holes and very short uphill-upwind holes. I struck 9 irons of 180 and 110 on various holes based on wind and elevation...what a blast! The greens are fast and break towards the left side of Molokai in the distance. downhill puts of 20 feet must be struck like 4-footers. Uphill puts are struck for twice the distance you think. I hit a drive on 17 leaving 180. I aimed a 9-iron (no wind or hill it would have been a 6 iron) 25 yards right of the stick. It landed right front and proceeded to roll to 3 feet from the pin. Nowhere else would you strike such a shot.
The GPS and guidance provided by the system on the cart is essential and very helpful.
This is a great experience for the average to good golfer. Do it!

1  Thank Chillmann