“Kapalua Bay Villas Will Spoil You”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We've stayed at the Kapalua Bay Villas 3 times over the last two years and will probably continue to stay there as long as we're fortunate enough to visit Maui.

We've invited first timers to Maui to stay with us at the Bay Villas and they have been back on their own since then and have said the Bay Villas were the best place they've stayed on the island.

There's a special aura when you're on Maui and adding an extra dose of luxury and peacefulness you feel at the Bay Villas makes that aura even more special.

We'll be back on Maui next month and guess where we're staying? You got it - Kapalua Bay Villas.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed in a 1-Bedroom Gold Villa (Gold = renovated/updated) with a golf course view. This view is less expensive than the Ocean view of course but we decided to spend the saved money somewhere else. The view to the golf course was also good. Weather was not as great. It rained a lot and so it did not matter if I have an ocean view or a golf course view. It rained either one.

The Villas are very nice, modern, good appliances incl. Bosch 24" washer and dryer, granite counter tops, 2 Flat screen TVs (one small in bedroom, 1 bigger one in the living room). Room was clean. The daily service included changing towels (as many you request, also for the beach), daily newspaper, wireless internet (mine did not work)...but for that you have to pay the resort fee in addition to your regular room rate. So don't be suprised. The room also will be cleaned each 3rd day, that means vacuumed and swiped. This service was not very good. This cleaning was 3rd class but when you want you can always call the reception and complain. I decided not to complain too much this vacation but your free to do so and I think then they will improve also the service.

Overall I can recommend this (Gold Villas) appartments.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed at the Kapalua Ridge Villas in a gold villa for 2 weeks in November/December. It would be hard to describe all the superlative parts of this resort in a review. Perhaps the best comliment I can pay to the resort is to say that the wow factor is everywhere you look.

The location is outstanding - beach, ocean views, sunsets, golf and sun.

We had rented a one bedroom Ridge villa overlooking the Bay villas and Ritz Carleton residences and the ocean. The location on the ridge gave us spectacular views of some of the resort grounds and the ocean from the lanai and one of the golf course fairways from the front side. We watched whales breaching in the channel between Maui and Molakai, incredible sunsets each night, and the most intense rainbows we can remember seeing.

The one bedroom unit we rented was large, well equipped, very comfortable and furnished appropriately. Everything worked and worked well. One minor problem was resolved quickly and cheerfully by the resort maintenance staff.

The restaurants on site were easily reachable by resort shuttle (a great perk). The dining experience at Merrimans Kapalua is world class, with tremendous views of Kapalua beach and the ocean and the cusine easily matched the views.We also visited Sansei at Kapalua for sushi and the Pineapple Grill. The food and dining experience at both was wonderful.

We golfed the Bay course one day and while expensive its views and quality easily paid back the cost. The golf staff were professional and polite to work with.

The area around the resort, and nothing is too far away in Maui, if you have a car, is excellent for exploring. Lahaina is a very interesting day trip - not far away but a different world from the Villas.

We stayed two weeks, could have spent the entire winter or a lifetime there. Sigh.

Room Tip: A ridge oceanfront gold villas is an excellent choice as the view lends so much to the experience
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2011

There may be less or more comfy condos (and that is what the "villas" are, simply condo-units), but the main issue at this property is the safety-thing. I stayed for two weeks and never ever noticed security staff. In the day-time you may see a few golfers, but at night this place is really abandoned. So many empty buildings there! They have an extremly poor street-lightning. Coming back from dinner was always a kind of "darkness closed about us-experience" and felt definitely bad. The worst place I visited on the islands in more than 20 years.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bi17
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We rented a Bay Villa for 8 days late November initially and extended for 3 more into December...wish we could have stayed even longer. It had a marvelous view, was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Craig Hayase from Quam Properties even came by on a Saturday to make sure everything was in order. He was wonderful to deal with as were all the members of the Quam staff who helped us out with a door code problem. We would definitely come back and stay here again. It's close to great beaches, tennis, yoga, fine dining. And everyone we met at the BBQ was friendly. And oh those cardinals who visited us in the morning...very cute.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Aloha,

Mahalo for the wonderful review of Kapalua Resort. While it appears that you booked your accomodations through a rental agent other than Kapalua Villas, we share in the efforts to provide a world class destination resort and I will surely pass along your comments to Craig (I agree that he is indeed, a terrific person) and the other managers at Quam.

We will look forward to your future visits here in our piece of paradise, please call on me if I may assist in booking when that time approaches.

Mahalo nui loa,

Kapalua Villas
anthony.freda@outrigger.com

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I booked this hotel based on reviews as well as my memories of being in Maui over 15 years ago and how much I enjoyed the snorkeling in Kapalua - it was our favorite snorkeling spot that trip. Kapalua Bay was as I remembered it - beautiful golden beach, small secluded bay, excellent variety of fish that are so easy to see even when you are close to the shore. We even saw a sea turtle! The bay was not too far from our room - we stayed in the Bay Villas, so were able to take the path along the shore - maybe a 10 minute walk.

The condo room itself was much better than I could have expected. We stayed in a Gold 2 bedroom villa with an ocean view. The place was huge - there were actually 3 full bathrooms - and the kitchen, living room, and dining room were more than adequate space for my husband and me and another couple. The only disadvantage was that the second bedroom was a loft - so it was open to the first floor which gave less privacy. We were only there for 3 nights, so it was not really an issue, but it would probably work better with kids as opposed to another couple.

We really enjoyed being on a large resort property with plenty of restaurants as well as having access to the Ritz Carlton pool. The shuttle service that takes you around the resort is easy to use and great for when you want to go to dinner and have a Mai Tai or two.

Overall, we had a great time and would recommend to others!

Room Tip: Bay villas are close to the Kapalua Bay and beach access
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Aloha and Mahalo for your review,

I agree that a destination resort location such as ours, provides all the dining and activity options to create a very positive and memorable experience. The additional benefit of Kapalua Resort is that it offers peace and tranquility at the same time, allowing each guest to determine thier preferred mix of highly energized and highly relaxing moments...

I hope that we can welcome you back at some point in the future.

Stay well and stay in touch.

Kapalua Villas
anthony.freda@outrigger.com

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We are supposed to be going to the Kapalua Villas this weekend, so, based on the recent reviews regarding the discrepancy in the rooms and service, I thought I best call in advance to make sure we were all set to go. This is our first trip with our baby and so, as you can imagine, I am a little anxious that everything will be as expected. We did upgrade to Gold based on the Kapalua Villas website and the description, etc.

I called yesterday to confirm the reservation and ensure that we had a crib as requested. Come to find out, although the website for both the Kapalua Villas and the site in which we reserved the accomodations on, say a crib is an additional $5, apparently, it is not a crib, but a Pack n' Play Playard (basically a playplen). While a Pack n' Play is fine, for the size of my daughter now, we really need a crib (as they mentioned on the website). Apparently, now to get a crib we have to pay an addtional amount over the quoted amount on their website. When we questioned the discrepancy the woman that was helping us basically said we had to pay it as the website stated a Pack'N Play......which, oh by the way, it doesn't.

Then, I was asking about the condo we will be staying in and the person helping me was basically no help, saying she had never seen it, etc.

So......to say that I am a bit uneasy for the trip we have coming up is an understatement. I wish I had stuck to my original plan and just rented a suite in a hotel. I will update my review once our trip is over.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank L B
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Aloha,

As noted in our recent email correspondence addressing the same concerns, I am sorry to hear that our communications, both written and verbal, have not been as clear and reassuring as they should be, I shall address the matter at all levels amongst our team.

Cribs are in fact available and are of the standard configuration. These items are ordered from a vendor when advanced notice is provided as is the case here. While the daily rate is higher than the $5 noted on the site, I cannot of course fault an arriving guest for our clerical error, two actually as I notice that there is no indication of the charge being applied on a daily bases either. As such, I will provide a standard crib throughout your stay at no charge.

Pack and Play units are on hand and are generally used when a guest fails to reserve a crib prior to arrival.

Final room assignments are not set until we have entered into a very short (sometimes 24 hours or less) time frame prior to arrival.

The reasoning for this is lengthy and as such, worthy of a detailed response: With a vast array of unit criteria including view, number of rooms, quality levels (gold and standard), and other variables both within and outside of our direct control, we recognize the frequency of change in such assignments. All of this is compounded by the fact that we operate as a rental agent on behalf of individual unit owners and have a fiduciary responsibility to equalize rental revenue within each category which brings us back around to our not designating specific units to future reservations.

King beds are not guaranteed to be in both rooms and in fact, a great majority of our multi room units have two beds in the second and/or third bedroom. In line with our previously acknowledged, unclear communications thus far, such a request has nothing to do with the level in which the unit is located but is simply determined based upon availability on the date of arrival.

Similarly, please note that our units come in both one and two story configurations, a request can be made for either preference but availability will be the ultimate determinant when assigning the units.

I can assure you that my team will provide you with accommodations that meet the category criteria and we will take any specific requests into consideration.

Thank you for brining your concerns to my attention, I will do whatever is in my power to ensure that your experience here at Kapalua is worthy of praise and consideration for return visits.

Kapalua Villas Maui

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!