“Lovely, comfortable and perfect for a family”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Santa Barbara, California
“Lovely, comfortable and perfect for a family”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our recent trip to Maui was a family vacation for five. We all loved the Kapalua Villa we stayed in. Keep in mind there are different types of Kapalua villa that can be rented, ours was a "Golf Villa" which had a lovely ocean view over the gold course. Nice two story condowith a master bedroom suite upstairs. Downstairs was a pull out sofa bed for sleeping. Large lanai with table, chairs and two chaise lounges. Walking distance to a very nice pool (one of several) but not walking distance to the ocean. If that's important there are other Kapalua Villas such as the Kapalua Bay Villas.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Aloha DRoseS_11,

Thank you for posting your positive review! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Kapalua Villas!

The Golf Villas are very peaceful. We have three different groups, the Golf Villas, the Ridge Villas and the Bay Villas, and they all offer their own charm. The Bay Villas are the closest to the ocean, and all groups of villas offer varying (but wonderful) views.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Maui!

Kapalua Villas-Maui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary with 9 days at the Kapalua Bay Villas. We reserved an oceanfront gold villa- 29B3 and initially was disappointed in the placement of the villa. Our unit was set back a bit from the other oceanfront villas so it was not a full ocean view- not as much privacy from the other villas as I had imagined. After spending the first night, we decided to stay and not switch units. The management was very willing to move us upon another unit opening up but we realized we were in Maui so no need to stress too much about it!
We explored much of the west side of Maui but without question our favorite beach was directly in front of our unit- Onelea beach(sp). You can gain access by walking down the trail on the hill- it felt like we had our own private beach!
For the most part, our unit was very updated( gold villa) and the only issue we had was our washing machine did not drain out when we first tried to wash clothes. We called management and they arrived in 10 minutes to take a look. They could not repair the issue so they completely replaced the unit immediately. We were very pleased with how everything was handled.
Overall, we had a wonderful time at the Kapalua Villas and will definitely return- this is a great place to stay if you are looking to escape the busier Kaanapali resort area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EricaG197
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Aloha EricaG197,

Thank you for posting your review today! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your vacation on Maui. Oneloa (aka Ironwoods) Beach is indeed beautiful and very private, a very tranquil place to spend your day.

I am sorry that you had issues with the washer and dryer in your unit but pleased that our team took care of everything so quickly for you. We apologize for the interruption.

I hope that you returned from your vacation rejuvinated and relaxed. We look forward to seeing you again in Kapalua soon!

Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I reserved this place a year in advance, 7 nights, and while booking it I noticed some of the comments about some of the places being outdated or needing work. I thought I would take the chance and hopefully get lucky with one of the updated villas. Plus I was paying additional for a Gold Ocean View. No luck, the 1 bedroom villa we were in was not only old and outdated, but the view was blocked by a strange storage box out in front of the villa. The box partially blocked the view of the ocean. The kitchen had an ant problem. For the money I paid I was extremely disappointed. I complained (which I hate to do) at the front desk; however, was told that each villa is different and that I could have asked for a specific villa or location. I told them that I had thought I had paid for a nicer "Gold - Ocean View" villa and wouldn't have known in advance which 1 bedroom villa was the nicest. It is important that you are aware that this area of Kapalua is extremely windy. The three pools in the area do not have jacuzzis (wife and kids were disappointed). If you walk two blocks South to Montage/Kapalua Bay it is a lot less windy. The area was beautiful. I love Maui and can't wait to go back. I will not be staying at the Kapalua Bay Villas. I have stayed at Honua Kai in Kaanapali previously ... and I wished I would have paid a little more this trip and stayed there again.

Room Tip: I have stayed at Honua Kai in Kaanapali previously ... and I wished I would have paid a little more...
3 Thank JTravel14
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Aloha JTravel14,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day and posting your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your unit! We certainly want all of our guests to be pleased with their accomodations!

I do see that you booked an oceanview room, and your unit does have oceanviews especially from the upper floor. It sounds like an oceanfront room would have been more to your liking. You also expressed your disapointment that there are no jacuzzis, our property does boast 8 swimming pools, but we do not have any jacuzzis. Our information on the Expedia site where you booked your room does not indicate that we do. However, I do apologize that you were let down.

We are on what is known as the "windward" side of the island, and indeed it can get windy! This is one of the things that makes Maui so beautiful that we can have so many vastly different ecosystems on our little island.

Again, I apologize that you were disappointed. I do hope that you will visit again in the future, and I can help you with anything to make your accomdations and next visit more to your satisfaction.

Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our family stayed at The Kapalua Villas for 8 nights; first stay in Kapalua, but we have visited Maui numerous times. If you choose an ocean view Gold Villa, you will not be disappointed. Very well appointed, clean, with beautiful views. Our villa was considered "partial ocean view" so we were not sure what we would get. I must say that we were not oversold! The view is literally golf course, then what I consider full ocean view. Extremely beautiful. The service is exceptional and every person we run into has been more than helpful and friendly. The only thing that was not great was the A/C in our room did not work well. Maintenance came the first day and said it was fine. It was not (we do have fairly extensive experience with A/C living in Phoenix!) and we asked for it to be checked again. They said they called an A/C repair person, and offered to move us to another and/or bring us some fans. We had them bring fans and decided to see if the A/C repair person could fix it. It never really got fixed, but we were okay with it - guess we are used to the heat! Overall, great visit and would stay here again. One additional thing: this is not the greatest place for small children (our kids are teenagers), as it is very quiet, the pools, while there are many, are smaller. There are no formal kids activities. That said, if your kids love the beach, you would be fine.

Room Tip: Gold Villas are the way to go; it will cost a bit more, but they are all very nicely upgraded.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Aloha Youngimpressions,

Thank you for your review! I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time at the Kapalua Villas. It is indeed very peaceful here, I am happy that you got to enjoy a nice relaxing vacation.

I am sorry to hear however that the A/C did not perform well. We will be sure to follow up on that issue.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit our beautiful island paradise.

Loxahatchee
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We are at day 5 of 7 at the Ridge Villas in Kapalua. We have a Gold Oceanview which is great - the vistas are gorgeous. It's very quiet and private but maybe that would be different in the high season. Sensei was super Asian cuisine, and the snorkeling is fabulous at Kapalua Bay and Honolua Bay is even better. We did the Manaha Ridge Hike which was spectacular - uphill it's quite strenuous but the shuttle brought us back down. Not for a novice hiker. Overall I would definitely come back here - it's close to Ka'anapali and Lahaina but there are no crowds. If you want a party scene this is probably not the place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon D
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Aloha Shannon D,

Thank you for posting your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Kapalas Villas and you were able to partake in the many things we have to offer here. It is indeed peaceful and relaxing here, that is what a perfect island vacation is all about!

We will see you when you return!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at Kapalua Villas. Overall, it was wonderful.

If you upgrade to the gold villas and stay in the Bay Villas, you'll have a condo that looks brand new. The place was immaculate the fixtures and furniture were nearly flawless. Our view out our Bay window and lanai were incredible. The bathroom was very nice.

The grounds / resort itself is so impressive! The landscaping was absolutely stunning. They really keep the place up. The staff was great, too. They're always tending to the grounds and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was.

The spa was great too! Everything is free except for classes (but they have a reduced rate for guests at KVs) and massages. My wife got a massage and raved about it. The staff there was wonderful (Cara, etc). Treat yourself to a spa visit (or two, or three) if you can.

Other places on the property: The Honolua Store was great!! Very clean and well organized. The food selections were very good and the liquor selection was incredible! This is a great place to grab a meal, snacks or drinks to cut costs. I thought the prices were very reasonable. Save your receipts for the entire trip and you'll get a nice gift.

We also stopped at the Wine Palette and Merriman's. Merriman's is very nice, but pricey so you might want to do what we did and just do drinks there. The view from there is great! Wine Palette was very nice but note that they only have appetizers, not full plated meals.

My wife and I absolutely loved our stay. If it would allow, however, I would rate it a 4.5 as there were a few minor issues:

> There's no ATM anywhere (except at the Ritz which is a pain). I don't know why they can't simply plant an ATM machine in the lobby or in the Honolua store. It would be a convenience for guests and seems like such a simple fix.

> AC didn't work real well, esp, if you had the Bay windows open. I called about it and the man who came said "that's the coolest I can get it" (and it was warm and stuffy) "it's just how these units work" (???)

> The biggest issue was privacy. Know that the way the villas are angled, your neighbors can easily see clearly inside your condo and hear you on the patio, etc. This I can deal with but we had an AWFUL neighbor downstairs that ruined our trip. My wife were out on our patio on our second night (it was our anniversary). I speak softly and my wife speaks moderately. It was just the two of us simply having a normal convo on the patio. The guy below blew a gasket and screamed and cursed for 5 straight minutes for us to shut up. He really had a screw loose. It was only about 10:15 pm and it was just the two of us. We didn't have a party, weren't blasting music, didn't have kids running around, weren't speaking loudly, etc. He said he "only wanted to hear the wind". We ignored him bc we felt we were entitled to have a normal conversation on a patio but warning: if you get a neighbor who is rude and supersensitive to noise there could be an issue (the hypocrite had no problem making his own noise with two loud guests as well as smoking smelly cigars).

Despite this little hiccup, we had a great stay here (I don't blame KV in any way for the incident with the neighbor - sometimes you just get unlucky with your neighbor).

Stay at Kapalua Villas!

Room Tip: We stayed in 14b1 (Gold Villas, Bay Villas). Worth the upgrade to Gold. The view (Molokai, the oce...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BMac2005
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Aloha BMac2005,

Thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review! I am pleased that you had a wonderful time at the Villas. You have included some great tips for fellow travelers - I love the Honolua Store (however it is a little dangerous for me to have so much good food available so close!)

I am sorry to hear that your neighbor did not extend the spirit of Aloha. Please keep in mind that we do have security on duty, and in the unfortuante event someone acts in such a manner they can ask them to calm down.

We look forward to hosting you again when you return to Maui!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the villas for our anniversary. It was great, spacious, awesome kitchen with all the kitchen appliances and cookware you need, washer and dryer.
Spa and gym was excellent
I would say, I could see other people maybe complaining about the wear of the furniture or scuffs on the walls.
The cleaning is an extra cost as well.

I love the place and plan on going back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JTat001
KVL-Management, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Aloha JTat001,

Thank you for taking the time and posting your favorable review. We are so pleased that you chose us for your anniversary vacation!

We hope that you will join us again soon.

Kapalua Villas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!