“My FAVOURITE place in the world.”
Review of Genesis Eco-Oasis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ek Balam Village
Genesis Eco-Oasis
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed with a group of 17 of us from March 5th until the 12th. I had never been here before, but members of our group have been coming here for 10 yrs. First impression. I don't even know where to begin. Amazing. I love the open air feel of the place. The dinning area is inviting. The grounds are so lush with tropical vegetation. I walked around the grounds the whole week and don't think I had seen everything. (Cool bomb shelter) I had seen most of the rooms there and liked them all. I stayed in the Iguana room and enjoyed it. I loved the Bi-folding doors on the room and the front porch. The food served was mostly Vegetarian, which was fine for this Meat eater. After a day or too, I really enjoyed it. I have since come home trying to copy the food from Genesis in my own kitchen. The cook staff, yard staff, and Lee the owner were nothing short of AMAZING!!!!! There are toooooo many to list but my favourite things about Genesis are the Amazing pool which I enjoyed as much as I could. The Mexican coffee which the kitchen staff would make (Awsome), and Swerta my buddy, who I hope to see this summer. There is so much to list on here but I don't have all week to write about it. This really is one of my FAVOURITE places that I have been, and cannot wait until I get back here. See you again Lee. Tell Antalano Canada say's Hi.

Room Tip: I save the spa an excellent, counting the pool as the spa, which is breathtakingly beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lochliam

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Can't say enough wonderful things about this retreat! We arrived after dark and we weren't sure if the door would be open. There was Lee to welcome us and offer us help with our bags and tea and made us feel welcome. She up graded our room at no extra charge. It was a special place with a hanging bed and outdoor private bathroom. The grounds were lush and the pool was clean and inviting with beautiful plants all around.
Lee has an awsome staff of very friendly gracious people. The food was home cooking mexican style served up when ever we were hungry. This retreat is very close to Ek Balam ruins and the city of Valladolid. One hour north is Rio Lagartos where flocks of pink flamingos can be seen. Chichen Itza and Merida are also within a 2 hr drive.
We stayed here for 2 nights and would stay her again. Ek Balam is a charming little village off the regular tourist places of the Yucatan. We have recommened this retreat to our friends and family.

Room Tip: stay in the bird's nest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dtravelling_show
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My family stayed here for a few days during our trip around the Yucatan. It was our favorite place. We loved the lush and tranquil energy of the village, ruins and Genesis.
Each room has its own unique feeling and layout. If you can, stay in the birds nest. It is very magical, high up in the trees, with a hanging bed. The compound is a lushly landscaped garden, with a wonderful cool pool, in the center, that is filled with water that comes from deep underground.
The food was wonderful. Much of it organic, and grown on a nearby farm. The owner, a wonderful Canadian woman, also blended whimsical cocktails, that were made with fresh local fruit.
The owner also organizes wonderful cultural exchanges.
You can spend the day with a local family learning to weave or cook tamales, and just get to experience what their life is like in a small village. Our 8 year old son was introduced to one of the neighbor boys, and for the next 4 days that we were there, he so enjoyed playing soccer and hanging out with all of the village kids.
Ek Balam is a gem, if you are looking for a unique and authentic experience, spend some days at the Genesis Eco-Oasis!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Triciagourley
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Me, my wife and my son of seven stayed at the Genesis from December 17th to 21st. We arrived directly from Cancun airport late in the evening and were warmly welcome at our arrival and were cooked up a delicious ratatouille. We were pleasantly surprised by the authenticity, simplicity, and beautiful grounds of the place. The breakfasts were delicious, and every night the young chef prepared wonderful meals from local produce. The atmosphere was great. We fell in love with the place and the people and would gladly return any time we get a chance. Lee, the owner, was a welcoming and authentic woman who toured the pueblo with us and explained much of the Mayas' and the milieu's history and situation. The time spent in Ek Balam pueblo was by far the most rewarding of our trip to Yucatan. The ruins of Ek Balam are the most special ancient Maya site we visited, and the closeby cenote of X'Canche is one of the best we've seen and bathed in. Of course, the fact that the whole experience was tied in with environmental and social principles was more than great. We also ground maize and made tortillas, ground cocoa for chocolate drinks, and observed the weaving of great hamacs, all with native Maya. We're very happy we could buy our top-quality hamacs from the expert Maya at EK Balam. All in all, a marvelous stay at the Genesis Eco-Oasis, which we would recommend to any friend. We're now thinking of organizing writing and other retreats there, and at the very least, would love to do our own little retreat again. It is also very well located, a mere 17 km from Valladolid and a myriad of ancient sites, and away from the crazy city centers. Our WALK to the ruins with our son was GREAT.
I'm not including photos, they would not do the place justice, and others post them anyway.
I have nothing but good feelings and memoirs from the place.
NB Lee also makes a great Margarita!!

Room Tip: I find that each habitation has its own charms and advantages. Honestly, I'd like to try them al...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emmanuel41
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stopped in for breakfast before continuing on to Ek Balam. It was a nice refreshing surprise to discover this oasis in Mexico.
Lee, the owner could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. She had her staff whip up a delicious breakfast on the spot. The food was fresh and grown by Lee on her nearby farm.
We did not stay in the inn but would have if we had had the time. We toured the grounds and the room that was in the trees up a delightful whimsical metal winding staircase.
Genesis is not to be missed!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane J
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were planning to stay one night at Genesis in July in order to enter the Ek Balam site early the following morning. The day before arriving I sent an email to confirm our arrival time. I then received a response informing me that the owner (Lee) had returned to Canada for medical reasons and that the hotel was closed. While I sympathise with his reasons for closing, it would have been helpful to have been informed. Had I not contacted Genesis, we would have arrived to find the place closed.

We quickly had to find a place in Valladolid - The Marques right in the main square- ans as it happened, we were very pleased with this location. Valladolid is a beautiful city and we were able to drive to Ek Balam the following day in about 30 minutes.

A few days later, Lee contacted me agin to offer a free night's accomodation the next time I am in the area. As I am unlikely to visit Ek Balam again, this was too little too late.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shaun M
GenesisEcoOasis, Owner at Genesis Eco-Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

My apologies for not giving you more notice that I would have to close the lodge the day of your arrival. It is unfortunate that you could not take advantage of my offer for a free stay the following day or so. I hope you used one of the other lovely hotels in Ek Balam and enjoyed your stay in the area.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I had high hopes for this place - but unfortunately we were disappointed. It might have been because it was the last stop on our tour around Yucatan so we had a lot to compare it to but it just didn't match up. The welcome and service was below average in comparison with our other experiences - and although the rooms are charming and the grounds pretty - noone showed us properly around or explained the basics of the place like breakfast, dinner, the showers. We were left to discover for ourselves... It is however clean, pretty and well located - but bring your earplugs - the owner's dogs howl all night long!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank evejackson

I am sorry that you felt you were poorly attended to. Sometimes we are so overwhelmed with other tasks we forget to give the personal touch that people seem to love about Genesis. I wish you would have felt comfortable enough to ask for assistance so that we could have rectified the situation at the time and made your stay more enjoyable.
Thank you for bringing up the dog situation. It needs clarification. I have several adoptable rescue dogs in a separate, enclosed area on a corner of the property. They have access to the property between 12am and 3pm when there are no guests here...or if the guests are comfortable having them around. At night they are moved to my residence so that they do not bark and disturb the guests. I have an old dog which is allowed on the property at all times unless someone indicates discomfort with that. The village dogs do bark or howl occasionally at night to warn us of the imminent dangers of a wandering cow, a slow moving skunk or nocturnal opossum. It's annoying but infrequent. Also, know that Sundays are for family and friends here and by nightfall the young men, home from their work in Cancun, are busy socializing and visiting. The dogs in town tend to bark as people return home, sometimes late, sometimes with a few drinks. If properly prepared, guests can enjoy the advantages of experiencing life in an authentic indigenous village without the drawbacks. Many guests travel with earplugs when they stay in places with traffic or other unfamiliar noise. Also, while staying in tropical, open-air environments you might want to use your room fan to create white noise to mask outdoor sounds. Still, it seems a pity to miss all the unique sounds of a Mayan village, the hum of the jungle at night and the calls of early morning song birds and roosters.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ek Balam Village
0 mi away
Dolcemente Ek Balam
Dolcemente Ek Balam
#2 of 2 in Ek Balam Village

Been to Genesis Eco-Oasis? Share your experiences!