Genesis Eco-Oasis
US$76
US$57
US$34
US$33
hotel colonial la aurora(Valladolid)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$44
El Meson del Marques(Valladolid)
US$68
Casa Tia Micha(Valladolid)
TripAdvisor
Casa Marlene(Valladolid)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmayan villagetortillasfed pooloff the beaten pathtortilla makingfriendly dogstourist trailswimming pool and gardenbig hugtranquil place to staylocal communitytiny villagelove dogstwo twin bedsfrom scratchempanadaslocal cenote
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Lee is an amazing hostess and brings her enthusiasm for the local area, her hotel and Mexico to her guests. She has meticulously planned and built an amazing tropical retreat. If you love tropical plantings, cool gardens and adobe architecture this is a place for you. The information provided about the local area, traditions and her Maya farm impeccable. We enjoyed the relaxing vibe of our courtyard gardens, pool, dining area and also bike rides to the Ek Balam ruins just 2 kilometers away. To be able to experience the amazing and cool cenote (open air limestone pool) in the Ek Balam ruins was so refreshing and a visual pleasure. Lee has used her imagination to use products and materials to save the environment. She also employs local persons in cultural and hotel activities. We had fun learning how to make tortillas with a local Mayan neighbour, what a hoot! We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed with a group of 17 of us from March 5th until the 12th. I had never been here before, but members of our group have been coming here for 10 yrs. First impression. I don't even know where to begin. Amazing. I love the open air feel of the place. The dinning area is inviting. The grounds are so lush with tropical vegetation. I walked around the grounds the whole week and don't think I had seen everything. (Cool bomb shelter) I had seen most of the rooms there and liked them all. I stayed in the Iguana room and enjoyed it. I loved the Bi-folding doors on the room and the front porch. The food served was mostly Vegetarian, which was fine for this Meat eater. After a day or too, I really enjoyed it. I have since come home trying to copy the food from Genesis in my own kitchen. The cook staff, yard staff, and Lee the owner were nothing short of AMAZING!!!!! There are toooooo many to list but my favourite things about Genesis are the Amazing pool which I enjoyed as much as I could. The Mexican coffee which the kitchen staff would make (Awsome), and Swerta my buddy, who I hope to see this summer. There is so much to list on here but I don't have all week to write about it. This really is one of my FAVOURITE places that I have been, and cannot wait until I get back here. See you again Lee. Tell Antalano Canada say's Hi.

Room Tip: I save the spa an excellent, counting the pool as the spa, which is breathtakingly beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lochliam
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Can't say enough wonderful things about this retreat! We arrived after dark and we weren't sure if the door would be open. There was Lee to welcome us and offer us help with our bags and tea and made us feel welcome. She up graded our room at no extra charge. It was a special place with a hanging bed and outdoor private bathroom. The grounds were lush and the pool was clean and inviting with beautiful plants all around.
Lee has an awsome staff of very friendly gracious people. The food was home cooking mexican style served up when ever we were hungry. This retreat is very close to Ek Balam ruins and the city of Valladolid. One hour north is Rio Lagartos where flocks of pink flamingos can be seen. Chichen Itza and Merida are also within a 2 hr drive.
We stayed here for 2 nights and would stay her again. Ek Balam is a charming little village off the regular tourist places of the Yucatan. We have recommened this retreat to our friends and family.

Room Tip: stay in the bird's nest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dtravelling_show
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My family stayed here for a few days during our trip around the Yucatan. It was our favorite place. We loved the lush and tranquil energy of the village, ruins and Genesis.
Each room has its own unique feeling and layout. If you can, stay in the birds nest. It is very magical, high up in the trees, with a hanging bed. The compound is a lushly landscaped garden, with a wonderful cool pool, in the center, that is filled with water that comes from deep underground.
The food was wonderful. Much of it organic, and grown on a nearby farm. The owner, a wonderful Canadian woman, also blended whimsical cocktails, that were made with fresh local fruit.
The owner also organizes wonderful cultural exchanges.
You can spend the day with a local family learning to weave or cook tamales, and just get to experience what their life is like in a small village. Our 8 year old son was introduced to one of the neighbor boys, and for the next 4 days that we were there, he so enjoyed playing soccer and hanging out with all of the village kids.
Ek Balam is a gem, if you are looking for a unique and authentic experience, spend some days at the Genesis Eco-Oasis!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Triciagourley
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Me, my wife and my son of seven stayed at the Genesis from December 17th to 21st. We arrived directly from Cancun airport late in the evening and were warmly welcome at our arrival and were cooked up a delicious ratatouille. We were pleasantly surprised by the authenticity, simplicity, and beautiful grounds of the place. The breakfasts were delicious, and every night the young chef prepared wonderful meals from local produce. The atmosphere was great. We fell in love with the place and the people and would gladly return any time we get a chance. Lee, the owner, was a welcoming and authentic woman who toured the pueblo with us and explained much of the Mayas' and the milieu's history and situation. The time spent in Ek Balam pueblo was by far the most rewarding of our trip to Yucatan. The ruins of Ek Balam are the most special ancient Maya site we visited, and the closeby cenote of X'Canche is one of the best we've seen and bathed in. Of course, the fact that the whole experience was tied in with environmental and social principles was more than great. We also ground maize and made tortillas, ground cocoa for chocolate drinks, and observed the weaving of great hamacs, all with native Maya. We're very happy we could buy our top-quality hamacs from the expert Maya at EK Balam. All in all, a marvelous stay at the Genesis Eco-Oasis, which we would recommend to any friend. We're now thinking of organizing writing and other retreats there, and at the very least, would love to do our own little retreat again. It is also very well located, a mere 17 km from Valladolid and a myriad of ancient sites, and away from the crazy city centers. Our WALK to the ruins with our son was GREAT.
I'm not including photos, they would not do the place justice, and others post them anyway.
I have nothing but good feelings and memoirs from the place.
NB Lee also makes a great Margarita!!

Room Tip: I find that each habitation has its own charms and advantages. Honestly, I'd like to try them all.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family