“Disappointing birthday 😥” 2 of 5 bubbles

Twig and Spoon Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Ash
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Disappointing birthday 😥”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I took my mum here to try to celebrate her birthday - I hadn't appreciated that it closed so early 4.30 ! My local garden centre in bournemouth is open till 8pm Thursday and Fridays and are still serving meals.
On arrival I was informed - kitchen was closed but could have hot drinks and a selection of cakes was available and that if I wanted the afternoon tea that I would have to come back another day ...
Good idea I thought till I saw that the afternoon was only served for a minimum of two persons !

My mum has just celebrated her 94 th birthday and doesn't have a huge appetite - and afternoon tea is one of her favourite things - but there is no way she could eat a whole one - I checked with one of the staff to make sure that was the case - yes it had to be for at least two persons.

We have had afternoon teas all around the uk and the world and have never come across this crazy idea ever before.

Needless to say - we won't be back - it would be a complete waste and would be upsetting for mum , an afternoon tea to share for the two of us would have been absolutely ideal - but still - it was not to be - we will be off to one of the other numerous places in the area to have what I know she will really enjoy and something to suit her size of appetite and it won't be here !

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MissyMosey

Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Always a winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This restaurant never fails to deliver on quality and value. The atmosphere and staff are welcoming and the food is consistently good. It is a regular haunt of ours because of all the above.

Tunbridge Wells
“Lovely Little Place For Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Really recommend this restaurant for a delicious lunch. Just called in originally for coffee and we were tempted by the lunch menu. I had a delicious smoked chicken, bacon a and avocado sandwich with lovely vegetable crisps and a blue cheese dip, my husband eventually decided on a cheese plowman's and wasn't disappointed. The place was busy but the staff were really brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. Thanks guys

London, England, United Kingdom
“A lovely afternoon treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had an excellent afternoon tea today and was spoiled rotten by Olivier, Sharron, Joshua and Chkoe, you all made my birthday treat very special. Thanks guys! The sandwiches were lovely with hand carved ham, and really fresh smoked salmon. The scones were perfect, and the cakes really tasty. We eat here regularly and have never had a bad meal. I highly recommend booking a table for lunch.

1 Thank Jennifer R
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Worth searching for among the begonias”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

You need to be in the know when it comes to this little gem, because the majority of tables were reserved when we visited. You can even book online at: http://www.twigandspoon.co.uk/reservationsnew.php
The menu is varied, delicious and very reasonable. Everything we tried seemed to be home made and the portions were very generous. You can also have wine with your meal if required.
The staff were very smartly dressed and efficient. Definitely not your average garden centre cafe and well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2014