Don't believe the photos -its much better!
If you're looking for a relaxing holiday in paradise go to Vilamendhoo it is heaven.
After much research/deliberation we choose this island and we stayed in a detached Jacuzzi beach villa on the north side and it was perfect.
Open the curtains and you can see the sea -wonderful!
This meant that we were in the adults only section of the island and eat our meals in the Alhima Restaurant which serves the same food as the Funami but is much smaller.
Your room boy attends twice a day to clean/restock minibar/change towels/turn down bed but is not intrusive. You are also allocated your own waiter in the restaurant who serves your drinks.
Tipping is expected but worth every cent as the staff can't do enough for you.
The food was delicious -There was a curry corner serving 3 curries every lunch & dinner but a wide variety of other foods including fish/meat/vegetarian. We were spoilt for choice and unlike some buffet restaurants the food was not repetitive, All the bread was baked on site -still warm and hard to resist.as were all the fantastic deserts.
Entertainment is good/average and is mainly in the Bothi Bar. Karoke/Crab racing/cultural nights
A very good band plays on Thursday and the same guys play soft music in the sunset bar on a Friday. The local/guest football match on a Sunday was good fun.
You can walk around the island in 20mins or if feeling energetic Kayak in 40.
A lot of emphasis is put on snorkelling but you have to exit the reef at a certain point and enter further along the reef -the current can be strong so beware. The fish that you see even in shallow water are amazing -reef sharks stingrays parrot fish humbugs angel fish etc.
The island have a family of herons living there and also fruit bats fly around.
Our only problem whilst there were the mosquitoes were out in force and hungry! so go prepared - don't forget the high factor sun cream as the sun is very strong and its easy to burn.
Leave the posh shoes at home -most people walk around barefoot as reception/bars/restaurants are all sand-at the most take cheap flipflops
Thanks to previous trip advisor review wine is now included in mini bar as is beer soft drinks water tea and coffee on the all inclusive plan Spirits Sweets Juices also avaliable but expensive, Drinks in bars were good and plentiful! Beer wine local spirits and some cocktails -the only thing that would make it better would be branded spirits.
All in all a fantastic holiday and thanks to Lou (Thomson Rep) and all the staff particularly Shazy and Haleem for a wonderful holiday and making my husbands birthday very special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Odigeo and Travelbag so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island