“Wonderful friendly island”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We were on vilamendhoo for the first 2 weeks in May,sadly my wife Amanda who does not keep well was unable to travel due to ill health so it was decided that myself and my 11 year old daughter Stephanie would travel,this was stephanies 6th time to the Maldives and my 7th having visited among others meeru x3 and kuredo which are sister islands of vilamendhoo. This and other reviews helped in our choice and vilamendhoo ticks all the boxes from the wonderful standard and choice of food ,the house reef for snorkeling,the family pool which was never that busy,there's plenty to do or do nothing or just relax but the main thing is that this is a very friendly island with very mannerly staff from solah(director of operations),shirzham our waiter and the other waiters who help clear up,sahana always smiling and stopping to chat in the funama restaurant, Robin and all his staff in the bonthi bar, John in the family pool bar, the island is also kept immaculately clean with the work of the room boys and gardeners including the smiling elderly gent who raked the leaves outside our beach villa 109.This is an island I would definitely recommend to everyone and I will definitely return hopefully next year with Amanda so she can also enjoy this wonderful friendly island,once again a big thank you to everyone on vilamendhoo for making us very welcome and also always asking how Amanda's health was and giving myself and Stephanie a holiday to always remember.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Evan M
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Evan,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for your frequent visits to stay with CCR resorts.

I am glad to hear that Vilamendhoo is your ultimate holiday island in the Maldives. It means a lot to me and the team. I am sure many guests will agree with you that having this lush green island with white sandy beach and one of the best house reef at the door step, it’s hard to find somewhere else even in the Maldives.

It is such a great scenery at the Boashi Pool that we exclusively serve for families. The palm trees where herons nest, fruit bats fly around from one tree to the other. I am so glad that you loved it like many other guests and I have noticed many couples also like to spend time at the Boashi Pool.

I thank you so much for appreciating the cleanliness of the island and the team work and efficiency of my team who puts an unbelievable effort every day to deliver excellent service.
Evan, it was so special for us to see Stephanie growing every time we meet her and I hope Amanda is doing great now and that she can visit us next time.

It was a joy for me personally to meet you and Stephanie after meeting few times in Meeru.
I am really looking forward to welcome you all back to Vilamendhoo.

There are newer reviews for Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was a wonderful holiday! The food on the all-inclusive buffet was top class - lots of variety and always something different to eat. I want to share a few pics I took of the fish. Thank you Vilamendhoo for making my Maldives dream come true. :-))

Room Tip: We liked the north side of the island. Our room was No. 200 (Jacuzzi Beach Villa), but you could be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KarenBanwell
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear KarenBanwell,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you so much for writing this great review and I am so glad that dream came true for you.
I am delighted that our food quality and varieties met your expectation and I will share your review with our kitchen team.

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

My team and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our 2nd trip to the Maldives.
Booked with First Choice
Travelled out to Vilamendhoo with Thomas Cook from Gatwick & seaplane transfer from Male in October 2013.

This was our 2nd trip to the Maldives, we loved it so much the first time, we decided to go back to an Island close by. After studying the map we chose Vilamendoo as it is ‘next door’.

We are from the North West but decided to go to Gatwick for the direct flight as we found the transfers at Dubai tiring. The flights were comparable to a budget airline though and I will fly Emirates again next time and maybe do a stopover to break the journey as for me the holiday starts the moment I set foot on the plane. The TC plane was old & tired the food & drink was poor.

Weather was mixed but always hot averaging 28 deg, but very windy.

On arrival we were offered the opportunity to go a couple of days to another island. I declined as I was keen to settle down and not pack all over again!

The island is lovely & well maintained. Accommodation was really surprising, comparing it to the more expensive Lilybeach I would say it is just as nice. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Beach Bungalow (adult end of the island). Although there are insects, ants etc. the seals on the doors are so good nothing got in. The room was kept perfectly clean. The mini bar was a bit of a nightmare, half is All inc and the other half has to be paid for, everything is listed on a sheet of paper and I think you are supposed to tick things off as you take them. On holiday especially after paying All inc I really don’t expect to pay for anything and I certainly don’t want to strictly keep tabs on everything we consume! So we asked for all items not included in the All inc to be removed and for it to be filled with All inc items. They got the hang of it!

Open air, loos & showers, are common place in the Maldives, it’s a bit different but we know what to expect now and quite like it!.

No mosquitos on the island, I didn’t get one bite whilst on Vilamendhoo- Happy days! I did get 3 nasty bites at the sea plane waiting area though; take a repellant stick in your hand luggage for the wait there if they bother you.

Food was good, nicely presented; it is ‘AI’ so it’s never going to be perfect. Sadly the service in the restaurant is really only just OK, lacking in attention to detail & lack lustre (I am comparing with Lilybeach). Overall though, the other staff were friendly & worked hard to keep the island clean & tidy.

Now for the big deal breaker, the All inc drinks inc cocktails are very poor, the wine is yuk, the beer is also a struggle to drink, the cocktails are made from similarly poor grade alcohol. This along with the service is something that needs looking at by management. We are not huge drinkers so when we do have something it has to be good quality and they failed on that miserably, we thought the house wine and beer was just awful. There really was nothing on the AI plan that was enjoyable accept the sparkling wine at Sunday breakfast! However, others seemed to be drinking it, so maybe we are fussy! There have been other comments on this on TA so come on Mohamed Solah, sort this out and Vilamendoo will be direct competition for the amazing Lilybeach!

There is no dress code, although most people were smart in the evenings. We like the desert island experience and the Adult end was quieter and had low key entertainment only a couple of nights in the pool bar. However for those with kids or just wishing a bit more interaction, the main bar in the family part was always very busy and had entertainment most nights I believe.

Tipping is discretional. I never got the feeling that it was expected – which is good – we tipped at the end of our stay the staff that we thought had gone that extra mile for us.

Went on the complimentary Whale shark, boat trip but didn’t get to see one that day although there were Manta’s.

The wonderful reef is what we went for though and it didn’t disappoint! I loved the snorkeling and was out most mornings for 7am, with sundown at 5.30 you must make the most of the day. Plenty of Sharks, Rays (eagle & sting) and hundreds of beautiful reef fish & Turtles live amongst the healthy corals. A gigantic Napoleon Wrasse came up to us on a couple of occasions for a nosey! Just at sundown is the time to see highly poisonous Lion fish. The danger didn’t stop there we spotted Scorpion fish almost perfectly camouflaged on the edge of the reef. There are areas with damaged coral but still lots of fish. Pity the water clarity suffered a from the windy conditions.

The island was busier than Lily beach but still not too over crowded. There was a rowdy group that spent all day at the adults pool drinking, so we went to the other pool in the center of the island a few times, it was really quiet, great for an afternoon nap in the sun. We always found a bit of paradise.

I would thoroughly recommend this resort for anyone who enjoys the ocean and sealife, I also think it is good for families.

Areas that should improve: Quality & selection of the Alcohol on the AI plan. Areas of the beach have exposed & broken sand bags, these could be tidier. Staff in the restaurant could be more personal & attentive. Management appears blasé about complaints & need to show commitment to resolving any problems.

Would I go back? maybe, if the AI drinks package improve.

Take: Mosqui repellent, for anywhere other than the island. Conditioner, theirs is not good enough.

Don’t take: Too many clothes & shoes!

Take: Snorkel, Fins & Mask – the hire charges are high & the equipment has seen better days

Do- the free Trial Dive if available

Do- Walk along the beach at night to view the amazing phytoplankton in the surf.

SEE link:

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Beach villas have a beautiful, easily accessable reef, steps away from your door.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sandizzzz

Dear sandizzzz,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!

I would like to thank you so much for writing a very detailed review of your holiday with us during October 2013.

Your constructive feedback will definitely help us to improve and we will take your comments very seriously. Please allow me to explain some of the points that you have raised.
Regarding mini bar, we have increased the value of the minibar therefore, more items are now included, to make it easier for our guest, we have a menu on top of the mini bar with “AIP” items identified.

I am sorry that you felt that our AIP cocktails and wine not up to the standard, our F&B Manager is working on improving the quality but please be assured that we serve best available wine, beer and cocktail that are appreciated by majority of All Inclusive Plus guests.

We have also taken serious note of the service that you have received at the restaurant which is not up to our standard and we will ensure that we focus on your comments in our trainings and will bring the service level up to the standard.

Tipping on the island is not mandatory. It is up to our guests to tip or not, Vilamendhoo pay is one of the best in this range of hotels and our team is working hard to deliver the best service to all of our guests without discriminating.

Thank you for your feedback in general about friendly and courteous team that we have.
Its great to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us and had great underwater experience while snorkeling and it is unlucky not to see whale sharks.

I will personally follow up on areas that you have recommended to improve and definitely all of us want you to be back to have another good holiday with us.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed 10 nights at the resort, obviously there were quite few Chinese stay such long.
Thanks to my wife's support, I got my PADI open water diver certification at the Euro-Diver diving center. All guys are quite warm and helpful.

We have lots of remarkable memories in this island, Whaleshark, Manta Ray, Nemo, Turtle, Dolphin and so on.

Snorkeling is perfect around reefs and accommodation is excellent. The most important thing is the price is quite cost effective than other resorts including Lily Beach which is only mile away.

We look forward to going back again someday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side is better for snorkeling. Beach Vila is the most cost effective selection.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allenzhang628
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear allenzhang628,

Sunny greetings from Honeymoon nest in Indian Ocean!

Thank you so much for sharing your special honeymoon with us. It was great for me and my team to organize everything.
It is encouraging to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your honeymoon.

Congratulations for your open water PADI dive certificate. You are so brave to complete the course.
I will convey your compliments to the professional Euro Diving Team.

It is such a great experience to swim with Whale Sharks, Mantas, Turtles etc at one place and Vilamendhoo is just in perfect location to do all these activities throughout the year.
And the whole holiday experience is very relaxing and the island is very quiet but you can really make it busy like most of our guests with lots of excursions, spa, diving or just snorkeling around the island etc.

allenzhang628, I am thrilled to learn that you will be returning to stay with us again in a near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just returned from our second visit to Vilamendhoo Island Resort. The staff there can never do enough for you and needless to say the resort itself is absolutely beautiful. It is so peaceful and relaxing. The food is amazing and I challenge anyone who can visit the all inclusive restaurants (there are two - one for families and one for couples only) and not find something they like to eat. The food is of exceptional quality and is all cooked fresh. The diving experience is exceptional too and the Euro Divers are fantastic and so friendly and helpful. The coral reefs around the island are out of this world. I was unlucky enough to have needed medical attention whilst there due to a small mishap I had and the Manager, the staff and the Doctor could not have been more helpful or kind. I was really well looked after. We will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: The water villas are wonderful to stay in and worth the extra if you can stretch to it. Coffee in t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JenniferNew

Dear JenniferNew,

Sunny greetings from your home away from home!

It is such a pleasure for me to learn that you found service by my team on a high standard. We pride ourselves on personal and friendly service team here and I am delighted that you felt well looked after by our enthusiastic and dynamic team. I will be sharing your review with all of the team.

Our Executive Chef Marc and his team is very proud that you felt the good was great and they are determined to keep focused on improvement so that when you return for the 3rd time, it will be even better than the second visit.

I have shared your compliments to our Euro Dive team and it is certainly true that this area is best for diving and snorkeling in the Maldives and courteous and friendly staff of Euro Divers make it even more fun and enjoyable for our guests.

I am glad our in house Doctor was there to help when you needed him on the island and this is the idea of the clinic on the island just to help out the guests when they need minor medical attention.

Jennifer, I am looking forward to personally welcome you back for the 3rd time to Vilamendhoo.
If there is anything that I can help you with, please contact me directly on reservations@vilamendhooisland.com

Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was my second visit. The first time was with my husband and 2 sons and this time with my Mom and 2 sisters. To me it is one of the most beautiful places to go to as it is the natural beauty of the the island, sea and the tranquility of the setting. We love snorkelling and it is one of the best we have ever been to in all our travels. The staff at reception were very good, helpful and so friendly, at the restaurant, Nazeem our waiter was very friendly and great and the manta ray excursion, Mohamed was fantastic!

Room Tip: The Beach Villa rooms on the South side are less windy and closer to the reef, yet the North facing...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sonja W

Dear Sonja W,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

I was delighted to read your review following your recent stay at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa.

It was a pleasure for us to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo and thank you very much for brining your family to stay with us.

We always strive to achieve excellence through hard work and dedication of our team and it speaks itself when our repeaters like you return year after year to stay with us.

As you have mentioned, the island is very natural and we wish to keep and maintain that way with a spectacular house reef and crystal clear water with fine white sandy beaches.
I am so proud that reception service and your waiter Nazeem and Mohamed from excursion did a great job to deliver excellent service.

Sonja, we can’t wait for you to return to Vilamendhoo. Please contact me directly if there is anything that I can do to help you to rebook with us.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked our holiday through Hayes and Jarvis. Vilamendhoo has it's own lounge within the seaplane terminal so your well looked after. Only had to wait 30mins for the plane and what an experience. A must if you can when going to the Maldives.
We arrived at the hotel and were informed our room type wasn't available for the first night so we were put in a garden room. We raised the issue with the rep who was very helpful.
It appears to be happening more and more all I would say is dig your heels in and push for compensation. Eg room upgrades, meals trips etc.
The resort itself is beautiful and well looked after. The staff are amazing so attentive nothing is too much trouble. A real assett to the hotel keep looking after them!!
Rooms are to a very high standard we stayed in a garden room, jacuzzi beach villa and jucuzzi water villa.
We did a couple of trips while there, sun set cruise, manta rays and whale sharks. All were amazing and we had experiences we will remember forever.
We preferred to spend our time at the sunset bar pool very nice and it's cooler with the wind. The wok bar is good in the afternoon is watch the sun go down too.
The house reef is amazing its huge, wide variety of fish, rays and sharks.
Food is a very high quality, always different which is unusual for buffet style restaurants.
Would love to return so time, would highly recommend going very good value for money.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jaime N

Dear Jaimie,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for your recent visit to stay with us.

I appreciate your comments and will share your compliments with my team.
Your feedback provides us the opportunity to learn how to better serve our guests.
It is true that seaplane experience is amazing and must do when holidaying in the Maldives. I am glad that CCR Lounge at the airport was comfortable and convenient.

I apologize for not getting your room upon arrival but I am glad that we managed to sort out the problem following day. Please allow me to explain that these situation are not common and our goal is to provide the booked category of the room to the guests upon arrival.

Thank you for your compliment to the island and the hard working team who keeps the charm and beauty of the island with the local hospitality.

Like you have mentioned, our rooms are very new and well maintained. Room attendants work very hard to keep the rooms at the best standard. I am so glad the trips that you did were amazing and of high quality.

Sunset Bar and the infinitive pool is a secret romantic spot for many guests and I am delighted it was your favorite spot on the island too.

Our Executive Chef and his team is so motivated to learn that you and other guests appreciate the high quality of food we serve, it means a lot to the team.
Vilamendhoo team wants to welcome you back in a very near future and would like to thank you so much for a fantastic stay with us.

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Sun Island Resort
Sun Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!