“Snorkeling and free diving”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hardest thing when going snorkeling and free diving in the Maldives is to get a decent unbiased information on how is the reef and fish life. Everybody claims that everything is just amazing, but there are few pictures or videos which can prove it. It is true that most of the reef and fish in the Maldives are well above the other places in the world, but which are amongst the best and money wise at the reach?
We will try to wrap three islands we have visited so far - Embudu, 4 years ago for 16 days, Madoogali, 3 years ago for 3 weeks ,and the last, Vilamendhoo, for 16 days.
Embudu is very near Male, just a boat ride, packed and small rooms away from the sea, little breeze. We have stayed in the water villas, which was nicer. The reef is/was the poorest compared to Madoogali and Vilamendhoo, but there is strong current in parts of the reef and the visibility was very good, with lots of fish. The coral was average. But, it is the cheapest of the three.
Madoogali is very nice, pristine white sand, self standing bungalows apart from each other. The reef on the east side is beautiful, but short compared on what you can see in Vilamendhoo. Madoogali has a more pristine feeling than Vilamendhoo, less crowded accommodation. The lightning in Madoogali is much more discreet and better designed, you can gaze at the stars and still not trip over when walking!
The fish life in Madoogali was poorer than in Vilamendhoo, less species.
Vilamendhoo was a great surprise, considering few reliable information available concerning the reef and fish life. Pity the island is sold more as the beach, honeymoon , spa and pool place.As any of the Maldivian islands, the stereotype which the average tourist wants is winning. What one needs in the middle of the fantastic lagoon and the best reef? A sweet water pool with chlorine instead of swimming in the clearest waters one has around the island. Vilamendhoo should be advertised as a snorkeling and free diving destination instead, but, you know, the guest is king...
Since the reef at Vilamendhoo is really huge, a big island, you can see in time almost any kind of fish passing by in the Indian ocean. The coral is very healthy, huge table corals almost everywhere cascading in the blue.There are 10 exits to the reef, and a very nice coral garden at the north east side.
We were very lucky to meet Mr. Solah, director of operations, very kind, efficient and a reef lover himself. As qualified, experienced snorkelers and free divers we were able to make photos of the many outstanding spots around Vilamendhoo.
The whale shark trip was outstanding, free diving with the whale shark was real fun.
The overall visibility was very good to average, depending on the current/lack of current in some days.
To wrap it up, Vilamendhoo has the outstanding, big reef and plenty of fish life.
We were for the first time on full board instead of all inclusive. The all inclusive, we found, was needles, since we do not drink that much. The bottle of good red wine started from 40USD in Vilamendhoo, but there was the 30% discount on happy hour time, just before dinner. The 1,5 litre bottle of water was 4,5 USD. The all inclusive wine we drank in Embudu and Madoogali was not worth the package.
Oh, we forgot about the food, but when free diving you do not eat much....there was plenty of all,
well, the pasta was overcooked. Maybe we will need to return, to check if the pasta is properly cooked!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank pathfinder_9
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear pathfinder_9,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

First of all, thank you very much for writing a so detailed review and comparing us with few other resorts in the Maldives that you have visited.

Thank you very much for your concern about the delicate environment that we have. We certainly try our very best to maintain and respect the nature.

I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and thank you for your constructive comments.

It was very interesting to share your thoughts whilst you were here. I managed find more details of regarding our swimming pools. Both pools are now chlorine free and with refined salt treatment with solar energy the water is rewashed and treated.

Thank you for such an amazing pictures on Flickr and on Tripadisor. I am glad that I was able to help you during your stay here.

Our new Executive Chef has trained all the live cooking chefs and I am sure you won’t be disappointed to find out the pasta is now better than Italy 

Once again, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us and we look forward to welcome you back in a near future in Vilamendhoo.

I hope all going well with your work and everything at home. Stay in touch.

Mohamed Solah, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,401)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just came back from 7 days in Vilamendhoo and this is my second visit in Maldives and i have to admit that although Maldives in general is a paradise, i was slightly disappointed. But that's not to say that the stay was not good, it just was not great ! i would probably won't be going back and probably tried somewhere else.

Where do i begin? -
1st - Seaplane transfer - although this has nothing related to the hotel, i thought the price for a seaplane transfer from the airport to the hotel was quite expensive @ $680 for two pax. Well we were well aware of this so cannot complain too much of this. However, instead for this price, i would expect a straight transfer from the airport to the hotel. However, we did two stop to two hotels before going to our resort. The welcome by the hostess when we landed was ok with no smile at all from her. We were told that our luggage will come from another plane, which we were ok with it. However, while we were checking in, my luggage arrive. but my gf's one was missing. They reassured us that it happens and that it will come in the next one. So while i was in the room with my stuff, no signs of the other luggage. I had to call them a few times to enquire and it was only 5 hours after we were on the resort that we receive the missing luggage. AGAIN not the hotel's fault, but i think a bit of update would have been better.

2- Welcome and Orientation - Well i work in hospitality and i can tell when the service is good and when the service is ok !! this was the most boring orientation i had. The guy was talking as if he was reading a book to us. In the end, i had to stop him to let him know that i thought we would be able to manage. No smile, no joy at all. I was given a room next to the reception, which i was not very happy about, as there was always plane coming in and lots of kids running around so i requested a room on the other side of the island. The guy said it was not possible and that i cannot request any room. I said that i did not care and that he needed to find me something else. so he said he will check and come back, after a while , someone else came in, introduce herself and was very polite, explained to us that the hotel was full and it won;t be possible to move us on that day and that they could move us the next day. We were happy with that. My point was not about getting what we want but how they handle the situation. Advice - request room from 153 - 190. this side of the island is much nicer and quieter!!.

Now i know there is a lot of negative there, but trust me, everything else was fantastic.

Room - Clean, spacious, and nice view to the sea.
Room boy - did his job every now and then but no consistency, i had to call a few times for a refill of the mini bar or for some fresh towels.

Snorkelling - nice but not amazing. I stayed in Bandos last time which is a 3 star hotel and the snorkelling over there was so much nicer. Although we manage to spot a few sting ray and very small reef shark.

One thing that i would credit the resort is how much effort they put in ensuring the island is clean. I was very impressed with how clean the island was and when we went to see the sun rise, there was a least 10 staff cleaning the island on the beach and inside the island. Great job there!!!.

Restaurant - where do i start? negative- ridiculous system that you need to sit at an allocated table, we were sat in the middle of the restaurant with no views whatsoever and the way the woman talked to us just pissed us off. Our main waiter Hussain was fantastic though, we was not very bubbly in the first few days, guess he wanted to know us better but he manage to get us a better table. i have to say that as a Restaurant Manager myself, i was very impressed with his work throughout our stay. he was working tirelessly and was always doing something compared to the other lazy waiter who was just standing around doing nothing and just chatting. Hussain was very very good and i believe this place need more people like him.

Food - food was great throughout the whole stay, and good variety as well. The only minus would be the lack of seafood available during our stay. Going to an island where seafood should be the main attraction, we had some boring fish every day. We did have a shrimp salad one day though!! i understand that it might be expensive to have seafood, but at least once is 7 days would not be too much to ask ??

Overall it was not too bad as my review, however, i believe there are other places that would more worth it. The first thing that the resort needs to invest is the customer service, and how to deal with guest as their body language is horrible!!!!

Room Tip: 153- 190 on the other side of the island! beach villa should be enough but if you have the means, ja...
3  Thank Vicky_Jon

Dear Vicky_Jon,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you so much for writing about your holiday experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that you felt island was very clean and well kept. I am glad that you liked the room and the service by your room attendants.

I would like to apologize for the points raised on our facilities and services where we failed to deliver to your expectation.

Regarding your room request, we encourage our guests to inform us if there is any preference in terms of location and we try our very best to change the guest as soon as the requested area is available. I am truly sorry that it took us sometime to get this sorted and the way this was dealt certainly didn't meet our standard.

We are working hard on maintaining consistency of delivering service and I have personally shared your compliment to Hussain and his team will be trained to be more energetic and efficient like him.

Please accept my sincere apologies if any of our employees was unfriendly or demonstrated poor body posture. I have already spoken to the respective departments and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

I hope that there will still be a chance that you will consider coming back. It would be a pleasure to personally meet you then.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I spent 5 days here with my fiancee for our pre wedding honeymoon and we stayed in room 329, the absolute last room of the overwater villas.

The view of the villa that we were in were great! At an angle, we can see the sunrise in the morning. Directly facing the sunset in the evening. We were awed by the exposed corals outside our room when low tide came in about 7am. A pity we could not see the exposed corals on our last day of stay. We were glad to be able to take some lovely pictures of the exposed corals before our last day of stay.

House reef outside the room was magnificent. The rooms at the odd numbered side were closer to the reef than those at the even numbered side. Despite the distance to Amathi Restaurant and the main parts of the island, we were glad to be allotted that room in the end (proximity to reef, view of stars, privacy, feeling of exclusivity).

Staff were enthusiastic. They were running in the boat when they spotted whale shark. That upped the excitement somewhat. They were friendly too. Regardless of staff job functions, everyone greeted us when they saw us. Despite us putting a do not disturb coconut outside the door, the staff did a good job by making sure that we would not want to be disturbed.

Excellent masseuse in Duniye spa. The 1st time I fell asleep during a massage session.

We feel that Maldives gives us a surprise everyday when we were there.
1st day, the amazing house reef with the beautiful fishes and a "Happy Honeymoon" card by the staff.
2nd day best days of all. Low tide exposing the heads of the corals in the morning, dolphin and flying fish spotting on the sunset punch cruise, blacktip reef shark close to shore and the resident bird by the beach infront of sunset bar.
3rd day sting ray spotting by Duniye spa.
4th day impromptu dolphin encounter while we were on the Dangeethi trip.
5th day 2 big sting rays spotted again by Duniye spa!

By the end of our stay on the morning of the 6th day, we were too sad to leave. But alas, we would have to go back to reality and would love to take the room again.

The seaplane journey to and forth was breathtaking too.

We would love to go back there again. Ideal for honeymoon or just a couple spending some time together alone. I like the concept of the water villas whereby we can just step out and snorkel whenever we like and at anytime of the day (before sunset)

Room Tip: Overwater villas at the odd numbered sides. They are closer to the reef when compared to the even nu...
2  Thank Ryan K
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Ryan K,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon destination!

Thank you for writing such an amazing review.

It is such a great pleasure for me and my team to learn what a fantastic time you had. Our goal is to ensure that all our guests experience outstanding vacation with us.
I am glad you enjoyed the seaplane trip as this unique experience is something fond to our guests. You certainly got an amazing view from the Jacuzzi Water Villas. I am sure you were able to spot many colourful fishes to live corals right from your porch.

We are fortunate to have such a wonderful reef with a large array of sea creatures, right on our doorstep, and I can understand how this is such a highlight for many guests who visit Vilamendhoo. We advise our guests in the Water Villas to snorkel inside the reef to have a great snorkeling experience and to protect the reef.

It is great to know that our enthusiastic team managed to fulfil all your holiday dreams with local touch of hospitality and glad that you enjoyed the whale shark trip which is one of the most popular trip on the island.

You have certainly described it so well what a surprise each day brings us here on the island. It is spontaneous.

Duniye Spa team is so pleased to learn that you enjoyed the relaxing and high quality treatments that they offer. It is another credit to the hotel that Duniye Spa is a trusted brand with our guests.

It thrills me to hear that you will be returning back to stay with us and I assure you, if you visit us to celebrate your wedding anniversary, you will not be disappointed.

Ryan, if you need any assistance in organizing your next trip to us, please contact me directly.
Thank you very much for staying with us and see you in a near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We just got back from a 10 night stay at Vilamendhoo resort being our 3rd trip to the Maldives. Traveled with my wife and 2 year old son. Previously been to Coco Palm Bodu Hithi (for our honeymoon) and LUX (for our babymoon).

This was not a major scheduled holiday for us so it was important to keep the budget in check. So we needed to cap the budget but without sacrificing the things that are important to us such as good food, house reef and clean friendly surroundings. With this in mind, we were very happy in the end and had a wonderful time :)

The positives: We ate at the main buffet 3 times a day and the food was always very tasty, the house reef is very healthy and you can just swim out and snorkel whenever you wish, the rooms are spotlessly clean and very well maintained, there is an area with a huge swimming pool + kids pool + kids play area which is perfect for families with young children.

The negatives: The service is impersonal and inconsistent. You get the feeling that the staff are generally not happy with their work/living conditions. You also get the sense that the staff are not very well trained on how to deal with customers. In any case, you will be fine as long as you don't have very high expectations in this department and as long as you don't end up having any special requests (to which you will generally get a negative answer).

Overall, I would happily recommend this to anyone looking for a barefoot vacation in the Maldives and to families with young children. People looking for that special once in a lifetime luxury vacation should try LUX (will end up costing you double Vilamendhoo) or the Four Seasons (will end up costing you double LUX).

Room Tip: Rooms: Definitely Water Villa every time anywhere for anyone without children. This is the only wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HotelPro123
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear HotelPro123,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for taking time in writing “Great Family Holiday”.

I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed our immaculately clean island, with a wonderful house reef and the friendly atmosphere and great food.

However, I am disappointed to learn that the service was not up to your expectations and not to our standard. In general, Vilamendhoo is very popular with guests from all over the world for genuine hospitality and warm friendly staff. It is also our team goal that we take all our guests special and deliver personalized service. I will share your experience in further training to our staff and will make sure that we give priority to attention to details in terms of service.

HotelPro123, I would like to thank you once again for staying with us and I hope to welcome you and your family to Vilamendhoo or one of our sister hotels in a near future to experience the improvement in service.

If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on reservations@vilamendhooisland.com

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent here my honeymoon. Everything was so romantic and what I expected in my dreams.
Wonderful colourful sea, marvellous fishes of every kind and of every colour and so many all around you while snorkeling, the perfect place for snorkeling in the open sea and so close to the seaside. If you were tired you could go back on your private beach in good relax. Wonderful photos I had here, it seemed like if the place has been created to make the famous postcard of the Maldive I have always seen in internet.
Excellent choice of food, excellent room on the beach with all the facilities.
This is a real holiday and you cannot immagine. You shall go!
I found difficulty with the free wifi, I had many times to log out and log in again to let it works. For what I needed it was enough: evening phone calls. I would suggest the 2 hours wifi (not free).

Room Tip: room on beach is the best choice, starting from number 170 upto 200. I had the 185 and it was one of...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sandrina72_12,

Sunny greetings from you honeymoon destination!

Thank you so much for writing a great review about your honeymoon with us.
It gives such a great pleasure to learn that you had a wonderful honeymoon with us.
It is such a great feeling to know that you felt that everything about Vilamendhoo was very romantic and matched your expectation in every as pact.

It is our goal that we try our best to deliver exclusive, personalized service to all of our guests.
Please be assured that I will share your experience on free wifi with our IT team and will focus on improving. Right now, we are working on improving the bandwidth for guest internet. However, due to the logistics of the Maldives, it is a complicating issue.

Sandrina72_12, I would like to thank you once again for staying with us and hope to see you soon in Vilamendhoo.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was a surprise trip for the lovely bride for her 50th birthday. I had booked it in early September 2013 and didn't tell her where we were going until at the airport May 31st. I searched for resorts with overwater accommodations that also had free wifi...(oh the need to be connected).

Vilamendhoo came up...I read the reviews...I looked at the accommodations...features...and saiid..this was the place. I booked with Expedia...(be wary of Expedia). Never again.

Our trip started in Toronto on the evening of May 31st...overnight to Istanbul then after a lengthy layover, down to Male, arriving in Male on June 2nd. We flew Turkish Airlines...great service...best airport lounge in the world in Ataturk airport.

We arrived at Vilamendhoo around around 3pm on June 2nd after the short seaplane trip. The checkin process was instantaneous...and flawless. Within 15 minutes we were all signed in, indoctrinated with the features and do' sand don'ts of the resort...and we were being escorted to our room...308.

Our luggage arrived shortly thereafter...and we began the exercise of unpacking...winding down and simply looking in awe at the surroundings. The accommodations...huge bedroom seating area...walkout to a large deck that had stairs down into the lagoon. The bathroom was opened at one end to where the jacuzzi was situated. The bathroom itself was over 250sq feet...

Accommodations...impeccable.

We then adventured into the restaurant. There are several restaurants on the island resort of which with your package you are assigned to one of the two all-inc buffet restaurants. We have been to any resorts that have buffet restaurants...this was special...every meal...fantastic curries...great assortment...and everything was fresh. There was not the typical hamburgers...French fries...there was real food...real nutrition...and every meal was enjoyable. We sat at the same table all the time so our dining attendant and the hostess would every meal come greet us...talk to us...and they both were always warm....thank you Fahira and Haleem.

As I mentioned..it was a special event the whole trip...and the team, whether in the dining room, guest services or Waheed our room attendant, all made the special day so much of an occasion it was incredible.

The resort is fantastic..we went whale shark snorkeling...it was fantastic...and we saw one...so special.

Overall...the trip was the most memorable we have ever been on.

I can. It thank the team at Vilamendhoo more to help make this a special day.

Room Tip: Over water...pick it...!
1  Thank mark c
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mark C,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for writing a great review about your wonderful holiday with us.

It is so special for me and the team to read that you choose to stay with us and shared with us this special moment of your life.

I am so pleased to hear that our standards were maintained upon arrival that you had a prompt check in process and everything went very well. Well done to Front Desk and Guest Services Team!

In Vilamendhoo Jacuzzi Water Villas are the highest category and it is so unique that the wonderful table corals, finger corals and colorful fishes are right next to the rooms. The view is amazing and I am sure you have described it so well.

I am glad that you felt the food is excellent and you are right it is so fresh even though we collect all our food around the world. Hard working kitchen team is so passionate to present the delicious food on the buffet.

I am glad that you managed to swim with Whale Sharks. And I hope whole excursion experience was great.

Team members like Fahira, Haleem, Waheed are the biggest asset to Vilamendhoo and it is a pleasure for all of us to be a part of this amazing team. I will convey your compliments to them personally.

It means so much for me to share your story with my team that this is the most memorable trip that you have had.

I hope we will get another chance to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo in a near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We were on vilamendhoo for the first 2 weeks in May,sadly my wife Amanda who does not keep well was unable to travel due to ill health so it was decided that myself and my 11 year old daughter Stephanie would travel,this was stephanies 6th time to the Maldives and my 7th having visited among others meeru x3 and kuredo which are sister islands of vilamendhoo. This and other reviews helped in our choice and vilamendhoo ticks all the boxes from the wonderful standard and choice of food ,the house reef for snorkeling,the family pool which was never that busy,there's plenty to do or do nothing or just relax but the main thing is that this is a very friendly island with very mannerly staff from solah(director of operations),shirzham our waiter and the other waiters who help clear up,sahana always smiling and stopping to chat in the funama restaurant, Robin and all his staff in the bonthi bar, John in the family pool bar, the island is also kept immaculately clean with the work of the room boys and gardeners including the smiling elderly gent who raked the leaves outside our beach villa 109.This is an island I would definitely recommend to everyone and I will definitely return hopefully next year with Amanda so she can also enjoy this wonderful friendly island,once again a big thank you to everyone on vilamendhoo for making us very welcome and also always asking how Amanda's health was and giving myself and Stephanie a holiday to always remember.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Evan M

Dear Evan,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for your frequent visits to stay with CCR resorts.

I am glad to hear that Vilamendhoo is your ultimate holiday island in the Maldives. It means a lot to me and the team. I am sure many guests will agree with you that having this lush green island with white sandy beach and one of the best house reef at the door step, it’s hard to find somewhere else even in the Maldives.

It is such a great scenery at the Boashi Pool that we exclusively serve for families. The palm trees where herons nest, fruit bats fly around from one tree to the other. I am so glad that you loved it like many other guests and I have noticed many couples also like to spend time at the Boashi Pool.

I thank you so much for appreciating the cleanliness of the island and the team work and efficiency of my team who puts an unbelievable effort every day to deliver excellent service.
Evan, it was so special for us to see Stephanie growing every time we meet her and I hope Amanda is doing great now and that she can visit us next time.

It was a joy for me personally to meet you and Stephanie after meeting few times in Meeru.
I am really looking forward to welcome you all back to Vilamendhoo.

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
15 mi away
Sun Island Resort and Spa
Sun Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!