I had no idea what to expect -
Very nice food. They provide a large buffet which has different offerings each day to keep it interesting. The reef fish is delicious. The island set up and layout is brilliant - you can walk around or through the island and it is large enough to have different scenery when you wander through the internal paths. On inclusive packages, you get some watersports lessons included and hire of kayaks - these are great fun to paddle around the island and get some new views or have some gentle exercise. There's two pools, and the island is segregated into adults only and family sections. The family side has it's own pool (which I think is nicer to swim in) and you can still access many other of the resorts amenities - games room, beach volleyball court etc.
The reef is great - lots of tropical fish and wildlife to see. Easy to access and swim to, even for those with lower water confidence. The range and frequency of excursions seemed good to me - but I have little to directly compare it with.
Relaxation-wise, the pools are lovely as is the service from the friendly staff. The annual staff party occurred whilst we were on the island and it's clear that they had a good time and enjoyed interacting with the guests. They had an excellent eye for detail, delivering service, food and drink with an efficient style and I never once felt that they were over intrusive.
What could be improved?
Very little, some of guides when swimming/snorkelling swam too fast for some members of the group. I think expectations should be set appropriately for your chances of seeing things like manta rays, whale sharks and turtles - they are rare things. One thing that struck me was how poor some other guests were at adhering to the rules about no touching the house reef - they may need to reinforce this message when people arrive to safeguard what is (at the moment) a beautiful reef. This isn't the resorts fault, but to protect what they have... guests should take more care.
It's a wonderful place, with great hot weather (expect the odd tropical storm and overcast day), lovely staff and a relaxed atmosphere. Recommended to those who want to unwind, try some watersports and who enjoy snorkelling in tropical waters.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Ctrip TA, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island