“Paradise, tranquility and a wonderful holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Scotland
“Paradise, tranquility and a wonderful holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were looking forward to this holiday for some time and had high expectations; Vilamendhoo lived up to them all and in many aspects exceeded them. We stayed for 10 nights in July, the weather was really good despite being the rainy season. The service provided by staff was excellent and they were always willing to help and advise as necessary, our room was seen to twice a day and was kept very clean, together with a well stocked mini-bar. We were on the all inclusive plus plan and would certainly recommend this to anyone as the costs of drinks would quickly add up, especially when you have children.
I was and still am amazed at the wonderful fish I saw on and around the house reef, to see them in their natural habitat is a memory that I will always have, we took the complimentary snorkelling lesson provided to those on the all inclusive package and this gave us additional confidence in the water. We took the whale shark trip and the crew really worked hard to give us the opportunity to see them, thankfully, we did get a quick look before they moved on.
The restaurant staff were very attentive and because you were allocated a table at the beginning of your holiday, there were no choices to be made where to sit each day. The food on the whole was very good and because we were there for 10 days it gave us the ideal view of the selection over a wide timeframe.
Our room attendant was Abbas and he was so helpful and always did his best for us, the staff work very hard to provide an excellent experience for the guests.
It was just phenomenal to open the door of our villa to such scenery, which was so unspoiled and crystal clear waters.
Would I return? - Well yes and intend to do so in the near future.

Room Tip: Try and get a Villa on the opposite side of the island from reception.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank katask
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear katask,

Greeting from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you so much for taking your time to give such a detailed description of our facilities and services.
In addition thank you very much for the rating and your recommendations.

It is so pleasing to read how thrilled you are by staying with us and that all your expectations were met.

Thank you for your great comment on the variety of marine life around us and the pure nature.
As you have experienced, Vilamendhoo offers great value for money and AIP package is a big bonus to the guests. It is as convenient and regarded as high value to 70 to 80 % of our guests.
Thank you for highlighting delicious food in the restaurants and our executive chef will be more than happy to learn you loved it. I am thrilled to read you appreciate the great service we have provided during your stay.

We really appreciate your kind words and I will share your marvelous feedback with Abbas and the whole team for their continuous effort to amaze all our guests with the dedication and commitment and consistency in service.

On behalf of the entire team, we hope to welcome you again. For further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or the Reservation team and we will be glad to assist you.

Mohamed Solah, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

All info I gathered was correct. Excellent reef, free cruise, whale shark, great accomodation in "adults only" area, great food, amazing restaurant, no shoes. Reef. Reef. Reef.
One side of the island there is a wider beach, other is great reef exit, with your feet in small reef sharks hunting small fishes. Crazy cool!

Room Tip: Adults only is the best part of the island, especially JBVilla.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 011-family
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear 011-family,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for sharing your holiday experience with us.
We are delighted to hear that your expectations were met after a thorough research of choosing your holiday island.

Vilamendhoo is very popular for the amazing house reef, consistent service and located in perfect place to snorkel and dive with Mantas and Whale sharks thorough out the year.

I wish to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for a week for the last leg of our honeymoon. Both my wife and I are avid divers, so we decided this would be a great spot to experience the legendary wildlife of the Maldives. In that respect its second to none. The scenery is perfect, the ocean is unspoiled and the dive-trips were phenomenal.

We weren't disappointed with the hotel either. The food, the service, the room and pretty much everything else was as we expected it to be, nothing was exceptional (although our waiter exceeded all expectations, he was friendly and likable, on the other hand, our room's cleanliness left a lot to be desired). All in all, if it wasn't for the extortionate prices for consumables and other tricks pulled by the hotel, it would have felt like the perfect holiday.

As we hardly drink alcohol (we didn't even finish the complimentary bottle of wine), we opted for full board. This means that a 3 deciliter bottle soft drink will cost you 5$. I don't pay 5$ for a Coke on a general principle. We prepared for this, so brought a water purifier, but this meant that we had to carry our water with ourselves all the time and we couldn't have cold water, as the minibar is not a real fridge. Be advised that they will try to rip you off as much as they can, including the shady practice of not providing toothpaste (can't remember the last time they didn't provide that in a hotel) so that they can charge you exorbitant sums for it in the shop. Don't forget to bring _everything you need with yourself_ or you're left at their mercy.

We paid for the candlelit dinner, thinking it would be a great idea to have a romantic dinner by the ocean-side. We were eaten alive by the mosquitoes until one of us went back to our room for the repellent (they must know that during the rainy season mosquitoes are everywhere at dusk). There was a 45 minute gap between meals being brought out (even though our plates were taken away fairly quickly, so they knew we were waiting). Also, there were no candles involved. They did, however give us a large glowing egg, that changed its colour every 10 seconds, so after maybe 10 minutes I was thinking that my mind was slipping away from me. Unfortunately, as there was no other way of illuminating our table, we had no choice but to soldier on for another 2 hours.

When we reserved the hotel we specifically told them that we would like to spend a day in Male (the capital) before flying to our next international destination. We went to the reception 5 days before our departure to make sure that they got the message that we don't want to leave the island too early or too late, where they told us not to worry. The night before we were supposed to leave they couldn't tell us until 10 PM when our flight would be scheduled, even though they promised to do that before 7/8/9 PM (in that order). I had to call reception each time they missed their own deadlines. Eventually, they told me that we would be on the 16:30 flight out of there, which would have meant that we would have had to sit 5 hours in the (world's most expensive) bar and lounge. No access to a shower, the beach or even your own stuff, since as soon as you leave the room, it is collected. Having reminded them about my request 2 months earlier, they tried to sell me that they have no way to influence the schedule of the planes. After I explained to three different person how this is impossible, as the airlines operate on the information they give them, eventually they put me through to some manager who sorted things out for us.

I don't appreciate these sort of tricks being pulled on me, especially when I'm paying this much for a water villa.

Room Tip: If you get a water villa, ask for one at the start of the pier. Bring everything you might need for...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SeafoodSauce
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear SeafoodSauce,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for your time taken giving us insight of your holiday with us.

I am glad that you loved the island and the unspoiled nature.

Unfortunately, your overall holiday experience is not an experience that we want our guests to have.
I would like to apologize to you for the feeling that you had that hotel puts tricks on guests to make money. I would like to assure you and other reviewers who are reading this to be sure that Vilamendhoo is an international standard hotel where the service is focused and this is always the priority on top of every business need of the hotel and we have qualified professionals. Prices of our beverage is in line with and more value for money than most other 4+ properties in the Maldives. In fact, Vilamendhoo is popular among the guests for good value for money and I can assure you that there are no hidden cost in what so ever product that we are selling.

Regarding the pricing, Maldives is an expensive brand due to the operational costs plus importing all the merchandise from tooth pick to most expensive consumer goods.
Due to the geographic location and the hotels being self-sufficient, transportation cost, fuel and staffing, the minimum cost of items are surprisingly high. But if you compare Maldives to other Indian Ocean destinations, pricing is fairly reasonable. And I can assure you that Vilamendhoo Management works hard behind the scene to keep the pricing as lowest as possible for our guests as our strategy is to keep the guests for a long term and we are pretty successful doing so. we have 20% of our in house guests as repeat guests every year.

As you may have experienced, the concept of hotel is very different in the Maldives where most of the hotels do not provide amenities such as tooth paste, tooth brush etc because our guests stay an average of 9 days and the culture of Maldives tourism is that guests carry even their own sun lotion, however, upon request to reception, we always go our way to help the guests.
Unfortunately this doesn’t sound the experience you had and I have already discussed with the concerned managers to address the issue.

The concept of Beach Dinners are that we provide most romantic experience to our guests by giving them space and time that’s is one reason that the waiters do not interact too often to the dining table. I am sorry that you felt too much of mosquitos during your meal experience but I assure you that we do spray to the island to minimize the mosquitos and it is fairly controlled all the time considered that this is a tropical environment. Our Food and Beverage Manager is informed about your experience and we will look into the issue with candles.

There are lot of limitation for us due to the location and unique geography of the Maldives as this island nation is 99.99 percent sea. Regarding your seaplane transfer, I have investigated with our concern staff and I agree that we should have explained it better but due to the limited schedule of seaplanes on your departure day it was not possible to cater your request. Unfortunately seaplanes are arranged and scheduled in the evening of the day before your departure. Due to the heavy cost involved, Seaplane Company is not operating seaplanes to every Single Island or single guests rather it is combined with other islands and other guests. The one reason that the time consumed to provide you the time was we were working on catering for your request.

Viamendhoo extend the checkout of guest rooms whenever we can and there is day use facilities and after check out there are shower rooms and towels and beach towels are provided and hotel do provide free use of guest facilities even after guest check out from the hotel as described in your departure letter. Lunch and dinner whenever possible for the departure guest also provided complimentary by the hotel to all the departure guests.
I am sorry that we didn’t take initiative to explain you the facilities whilst you were at Vilamendhoo.

SeafoodSauce, thank you once again for staying with us and I assure you that we are working on improving the highlighted areas on your report. It will be great that if you decided to revisit us and experience the improvement in a near future.

Mohaemd Solah, Director of Operations
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We visited for a week in July and could not have asked for more.
Water villas are amazing and would recommend them if budget permits.
There are two restaurants, one catering for the Jacuzzi beach villas and water villas and the other for the garden and simple beach villas. Although they serve the same food, the former is definitely better situated. The food in general is fantastic, plenty of choices and amazing indian corner if you like such dishes.
We had the all inclusive package and it works better as you don't have to worry about cash.
Service was very attentive, the room was seamlessly cleaned twice daily.
Dive centre although pricey was ver professional.
Already planning our next holiday there!

Room Tip: Water villas are a must
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Manolis1975
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Manolis1975,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for choosing Vilamendhoo for your recent holiday destination.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed staying in our Jacuzzi Water Villa.

Jacuzzi Water Villas (85 sqm) are located over-the-water, in the lagoon…a short walk along your private jetty to this secluded hideaway featuring a larger bedroom, wood floor, an iPod docking station/sound tower, a tea/coffee/espresso machine; a spacious bathroom with a private, walled-in outdoor area featuring a Jacuzzi for two “under the stars”, a wooden sundeck with chaise lounges, a shade umbrella, tropical plants, a private sundeck with stairs into the sea and the most magnificent views of all...
Vilamendhoo All Inclusive package is very profitable to the guest and also good value for money, many of our guests enjoy the privilege of AIP. I am pleased to hear that you took the full advantage of AIP.

As I always mention, real beauty of Vilamendhoo holiday is that warm, friendly and kind – hearted local hospitality is delivered by our multicultural team. I feel and appreciate how lucky we are to have this pool of team together and as they produce genuine hospitality. We all are pleased to hear your appreciation which is also the biggest motivational factor to Vilamendhoo team.

I have shared your compliments to the EURO Dive team and they are delighted to know that you enjoyed the service.

It thrills me to read that you are planning to visit us again. Should you need any assistance, please contact me directly on reservations@vilamendhooisland.com

Sunny Regards,
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Well sorry for the brief review but all I can say about this place is it was absolutely perfect. On leaving our rep asked if we would go back and we said no..... The reason is it was so perfect that if we went back and one single thing wasn't right it ruin our perfect honeymoon. Yes it really is that good. The food is also some of the best food we've ever eaten and we've tried to cook it ourselves since and failed miserably. If you go and you love something ask how to make it before you leave

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paulowoo
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Paulowoo,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon paradise!

Thank you very much for choosing Vilamendhoo as your honeymoon destination. I am so glad to hear that you had a perfect honeymoon with us.

The one thing I can assure you is consistency in our service. Vilamendhoo is very proud to be one of the leading resorts in South Ari Atoll for return business. We entertain 50 repeat guests on weekly basis.

Thank you for highlighting the food. Our guests regard Vilamendhoo food same as you have “ The best we have ever eaten”. We serve food in buffet style to our guests in two of the main restaurants. Of course, if the guest prefer to choose À la carte restaurant, we have an Asian Wok and a Hot Rock with very unique two concepts.

Paulowoo, I would like to recommend to visit us again in a near future and test us. It will be great to welcome you back to the paradise.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Firstly I am writing about our honeymoon at the end of March 2013. Yes it is late but I thought I had posted a review and I hadn't! This is my second visit to Vilamendhoo and as such I am quite confident that my review is still relevant, albeit a little late...

This island is paradise, pure and simple. Yes, there are lots of islands to choose from but I don't think I would look any further if I was fortunate enough for a 3rd visit. Here are the reasons why:

Food - Lots of variety, including theme days, and all great quality. You can sample Maldivian food as well as lots of other options from around the world. You should try one of their curries at least once during your stay. I was a very fussy eater on my 1st visit and I didn't struggle to find anything to eat, not once. Yes it is buffet, but we are not talking cheap all inclusive European buffet. The Asian Wok is advisable for a treat, especially the Tepanyaki which is food and entertainment in one!!

Accommodation - We stayed in a beach villa. Yes the water villas are very nice (we were allowed a little look inside one) but there is something about walking out onto the sand for me. The mini bar is a blessing allowing you to sunbath on the beach and just pop back the very short walk to your villa for an ice cold drink. The room was lovely and comfortable and very clean. The room boys and beach boys do a great job in keeping everything spotless and topped up. The aircon was certainly a lot quieter and barely noticeable compared to my 1st visit. Whilst again, the water villas are lovely, I do not think that you can go wrong with any of the accommodation on this island. It really is a matter of preference. To be honest, I would rather pay less to stay in a beach villa. The food is the same in both buffet restaurants so it is just the accommodation you pay the difference on.

The sea - The house reef here is renowned for being spectacular and I couldn't justify how amazing it is. We swam around the reef at least once every day for the two weeks we were there. You can see plenty of rays and sharks (not the biting ones!) and millions of fish. If you are anywhere near as lucky as we were, you might get to swim up close with a sea turtle when there is no one else around. Our favourite memory. We also made use of taking a canoe out which was good fun.

The staff - What can I say? The staff are all amazing. They cannot do enough for you and seem to have an uncanny knack at when it is good to have a chat and when it is best to leave you in private. You never feel like you are being watched but as soon as your glass looks like it is about to be empty, they are there. We had Nawal as our restaurant server and he was a true gentleman. The way that the staff have so many people to look after and yet still give a personal touch is a real testament to them. You can tip if you wish but it is done at the end of your stay. A little bit of advice, we got envelopes from reception to put out tips in as it seemed a little more personal than just handing over cash!

Other highlights - Maldivian night is a must!! Trips are personal choice but swimming with whale sharks was something special. The gym, yes why would you, but during the hottest point of the afternoon the gym is a nice place to escape the heat. The bonthi bar. It may not have the sunset view but it is still just as good to sit in the evening watching the fish feeding and we felt that the staff here were a lot more interactive.

And finally... My husband was a little sceptical of going to the Maldives. It is a lot of money. His mind was changed completely by going to Vilamendhoo. I think this island gives you a lot for your money, especially considering it is a fair bit cheaper than others, and is well worth every penny. No corner is cut and you will not regret a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kelly M
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Kelly M,

Sunny greetings from your home away from home!
Thank you for your return visit and thank you for an amazing review.
Of course your review is still relevant and worth to us.

Thank you for your complement to our little piece of paradise and obviously I live here and still struggle to describe the real beauty of the place, this is one of its kind and the beauty is dreamlike.

It is certainly the best feeling of all when our guests like you appreciate the amazing team of Vilamendhoo. Management team and I really feel so blessed to work with them every day.

The spectacular scenery, meticulous environment and crystal clear water with such an amazing variety of fishes and corals are hard to find even in the Maldives and certainly we are doing everything we can to protect it.

Thank you for recommending the whale shark trip and other trips that we do for our guests including the Maldivian Cultural show.

Kelly, it was great to look after you both for your honeymoon and I would like to hear from you that your visiting us for the 3rd time in a near future.

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned to US from an amazing week at Vilamendoo. Had booked a JWV for whole week but arrived to hear they were all full and we would need to stay in JBV for a night. Was a little upset but they offered to refund the difference to my account and offered a $100 credit for either excursions or the Hot Wok Restaurant (we took the restaurant choice and enjoyed that meal). Once we were in our JWV we were as happy as I can ever imagine being happy. We were in 329. The walk to the end was worth it. FYI, in the month of July, the sunsets on the ODD # side of the JWV but each night there were clouds so we never really got a clear sunset. Staff were great. Other tourists were friendly and nice but overall the adult section of the island is pretty quiet and if you didn't want to have to talk to anyone, you wouldn't have to. We did 7 SCUBA dives there including trips to see Mantas, Whale Sharks and Turtles. I did the night dive which was awesome. Buffet food was very good. They vary the selections each day so even after 1 week we saw few repeats. Sun was bright... it was warm but not too hot (bring your flip-flops on the walk to the water villas as the wood can get hot. Great fish off the house reef. What else can I say?? As we never saw rain our 7 days... it was a perfect trip (I did hear it rained a few hours a day after we left).

Room Tip: In July, if you have a water villa, try to request an ODD room. But as mentioned above we never saw...
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank clintonuws
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear clintonuws,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for flying across the world to visit us all the way from US.
I would like to thank you also for taking your time in writing a great review of your week in Vilamendhoo.

I am so sorry about the room issue that you had upon arrival and it is not something that we would like our guests to experience. But due to the demand and trying to please all the guests, it is certainly a very tough task. I am so glad that you were happiest at the Jacuzzi Water Villa.
Like you have experienced, this is truly magical and there is no worries or problems when you are in Paradise.

This is a very out door type holiday and I am glad that you enjoyed the SCUBA diving with EURO Divers.

Our chefs work very hard to provide excellent choice to the guests and we have two week rotation menu to minimize the repetition of food. We also advise our guests, if you have special dietary requirements, contact to our chef / Guest Services to ensure that we customize to the guest demand. Because it is important for us to address every individual guest need.

Monsoon in the Maldives is still dry and it could go without a single rain drop for weeks. When it rains it rains at once and stop. I happy that you had a good week of weather too.

Clintonuws, I am looking forward to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo in a near future.

Mohamed Solah, Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,022 reviews

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!