“Great dive centre - way too expensive”
Review of Euro Divers

Euro Divers
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Ok I know its the Maldives where everything is expensive but I think this company may be exploiting their monopoly too much with their costs. I paid for 10 dives in advance which cost $440 and this was just for unaccompanied house reef dives! I had my own equipment and was diving without a guide, so the cost was for the hire of a tank, weights and air fill and this was $44? I find this hard to accept as reasonable and I've dived extensively. After this basic cost everything else was addition, boat trip, equipment etc so if you required equipment and wanted to dive other than the house reef the costs just keep rising. I write this in the hope that Euro Divers will read it and not put the costs up next year as they intend, as I said exploiting their monopoly on the island.

Which is a shame as the centre and the staff are excellent; I was very impressed by their setup, their equipment was first class and their organisation of the diving exemplary. I was mostly impressed by their safety regimes as well; I was particularly impressed by Roman when he had to deal with a diver who had a problem with her ear underwater yet didn't indicate the issue preferring to just not descend causing confusion. After the dive I overheard Roman firmly yet very politely reminding the diver that she must use the universal hand signals.

My only issue with safety was when in rough seas I went onto the boat vomiting after a dive; I know that this is caused when I bob in rough seas (happens all the time!) and I was not concerned however the boat staff do not know me and they did not react as I would have expected, this can be a sign of DCS yet not one of the boat crew approached me to check what was going on, they me oranges and hot tea! OK I'm being picky here but someone should have asked me if I was OK, the dive leader was also not informed by the crew when he came on the boat and only after I told him was he aware of the incident. Sorry but you can't assume that vomiting is sea sickness AFTER a dive the crew should consider DCS.

That said I have no real complaints about this company and would dive with them again, if I could afford it and perhaps in a location where competition forced them to price equitably.

1  Thank BigJW

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My fiance and I have just returned from Vilamendhoo. Whilst we were there we went diving with Euro Divers. We found the setup professional. The rental equipment BCD's and Regs were in good condition. We dove mostly with Michelle and Mel (my fiance did her advanced open water with Michelle). To be honest they were stars and made the experience for us.

The diving was a mixed bag. There were plenty of fish, but the area didn't seem to have that much pretty coral. However, you can't complain too much after seeing a Whale Shark!!

In terms of cost it is quite expensive, however it is the Maldives and everything costs more. The one thing that pushed the cost up weres the additional boat fees (charged by the resort), that is something to bear in mind. However, you can just dive on the house reef with no extra charge.

The house reef is pretty unspectacular, but there are quite a few fish there, trigger fish, parrot fish, lion fish, sting rays, eagle rays, lion fish, clown fish, morays etc.

2  Thank Grant52
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The house reef is very good on this island and the dive operator and their team top notch! Since we already did the dive safari we only dove and snorkeled the house reef but there are many excursions to choose from.

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Had a really pleasant 2 weeks diving with eurodivers at Vilamendhoo. Every single instructor (we dived with all of them over the course of the holiday) was knowledgeable, approachable and helpful. After our orientation dive we were informed of which of the dive sites we should start with, but that it might be best to do some more dives before we ventured onto the house reef on our own. Despite some poor vis and dodgy currents we had some beautiful dives, including several Whalesharks, rays, and even underwater dolphins! Overall, would thoroughly recommend diving here, though not having to settle the bill until the end can come as a nasty shock ;-)

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have just returned from scuba diving from the island paradise of Vilamendhoo Island, Maldives and I have nothing but praise for Euro Divers who just made the experience wonderful and relaxing.

The first day was the usual looking at log books and certification cards, allocation of dive boxes and getting to know the dive centre and staff. The staff were all friendly and efficient.

Our first dive was on the home reef so Hussein, our dive guide for the week, could see what he was in for. At 105 dives I was one of the least experienced divers within the group but we still gave Hussein a hard time by turning up to dive briefings late and asking difficult questions.

The diving they planned was superb, the list of fish we saw and the sites we visited was excellent. Some of the things you will be happy to hear we saw are:- Turtles, Whale Sharks, Manta Rays, White Tip Sharks and of course the usual reef fish of Morays, Blenies, groupa, angel etcetera.

The diving itself was sometimes quite hard as the Maldives are famous for their currents but the sites chosen never had a current greater than a medium, you are still able to finn against a medium and make headway. Above water the service was excellent. We only used the boat Marina all week so I am not sure if all the crews are the same but what we experienced was getting up onto the boat there would be someone already turning your air off and getting the water out of the BCD before you sit down to have help getting the kit off. They would then change the tank for the next dive and as we were on enriched air the analyser would be brought over. Tank analysed and then the rest of the kit was put together for the next dive. It made for a very relaxed morning of diving on a two tank morning all you had to do was dive and drink coffee.

In the afternoon we could either sign up to go boat diving or dive the home reef. I did not get to see as much of the home reef as I would have liked for one reason and another, all my own fault, I only made it from exit 5 to exit 3, but at about 15 metres below the boat jetty I did see a massive Moray eel bigger than anything else I have seen and a turtle getting stuck into the coral. The home reef was a bit kicked up in places but was still teaming with life. In the shallows there were Rays swimming with Black Tip sharks, do not worry they were all very young and very small but still fantastic to see whilst snorkelling or just walking along the beach.

After the days diving was done the dive centre would rinse all the kit in fresh water and then place the box back into the dive room the the next day. The wet suit was also rinsed for you and hung up. The only task you have to do in the morning is find your own wet suit from all those hung up, best to put your name in it, and make sure you have your camera everything else is done for you. You get on the assigned boat and there will be your box waiting for you.

Even diving on the home reef is easy, put your name on the board, kit up, they will then transport your kit to your chosen exit. Dive and when you get out leave the tank at the exit you get out at, write on the board where you got out and the tank will be found by the diving fairies and brought back for you.

Great people, great diving and a really easy diving experience, if work would let me I would be back there now for a months visit but bills have to be paid so back to work it is.

5  Thank Saaby665