“Great for price”

Mourne Country Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were down for a hen party. The cost was £55 and that included our over night stay, entrance into the dance, dinner and continental breakfast. The dance was not my thing.....the hens choice...but all in all great atmosphere and great craic. We stayed in the refurbished rooms which were well presented and clean. The food was excellent. Great choice for the evening meal and plenty to eat at breakfast time. We could have a fry at an extra cost and some of the girls did. They said it was lovely. We couldnt fault the staff who were very friendly and helpful. If people are interested in country music and looking somewhere to stay this is a great wee venue for budget prices. Also handt to newry!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank noni1Belfast
There are newer reviews for Mourne Country Hotel

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was staying here to go to a wedding. Staff very friendly and allowed me to check in early to accommodate the wedding time. Check in was easy and quick. My room was on the ground floor and the corridor to get to it was a bit bare with 3 or 4 sets of doors to go through. A room on the first floor might have been better. The room was generic of a business hotel. Clean and comfortable. I missed a proper sofa or armchair though and I would have liked blinds or net curtains on the windows as the room looked onto the main road. I was impressed by the VERY comfortable bed and nice biscuits along with the tea/coffee. Breakfast was excellent, as was the service. It's not within walking distance of Newry but a taxi was only £4 and being a little out of town meant it was nice and quiet at night. I also had lunch in the restaurant and yet again the service and food was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Silveroscar
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having stayed here before we always said we would go back, and having seen a wonderful offer in the Belfast telegraph's Newry supplement a few weeks ago we decided to avail of this offer (£55 per person with 2 course dinner Bed and Continental breakfast and entry to their country dance where could you go wrong with that?) we thought this was an offer we couldn't miss out on! so off we went to stay in the Mourne Country Hotel and we were so pleasantly surprised when we arrived to see the improvements which have been made to this hotel since we were last here.

Having spoke to the manageress she informed me that since the start of this year they have under taken a quite an extensive refurbishment programme, (she even gave me a tour of the areas which have been refurbished) starting with their reception area which has been modernised with a beautiful polished porcelain tiled floor which really brightens up the area, and the bar/lounge has also been given a face lift with new wooden flooring, and new stone wall behind the bar and a fire place also made with the stone with an electric fire to 'cosy up' the bar in the winter, I have to say to looks fabulous.
She then showed me to the bedrooms where with in this first phase of works 50% of the bedrooms (the ground floor) have had a complete over haul some of which will have double walk in showers instead of a bath/shower (which I most definitely prefer) the rooms now have one king size bed, with lovely white bedclothes with purple throw and cushions, a work / vanity area, welcome tea tray, wall mounted TV's, they have great curtains which are completely black out to allow you that much anticipated Sunday morning lye in without the sun waking you up at an ungodly hour :) the bathrooms have been stylishly retiled and refitted.

Donna informed me that some of the conference suites have also had a facelift, and that the restaurant is at the moment undergoing its refurbishment, Donna also has informed me that this is only the start of things for the Mourne they are really working at getting this hotel back to where it was 10 yrs ago they are bringing it back up into the 21st century, and I have to say they are going about it in the right direction, it looks fab, its stylish but retains that comfy feeling and as for the food it was very tasty we had starter and main course with the only disappointment being that I wasn't fit for dessert!!! for the main meal I had the stuffed chicken breast and my husband had the steak it was all cooked perfectly and was so delicious full of flavour and you just knew it was cooked fresh to order.
The staff are so friendly and it speaks volumes to me that there is a lot of same faces still working there as were there the last time we stayed, and added to the fact that they remembered us from having been there before, this made us feel valued.

This most definitely is one place we will be happy to go back to again and again infact we are already booked in again in a few weeks when they have Derek Ryan playing... thank you for a lovely break away we cant wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CloverBelfast
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Hi just returned from a lovely weekend in Newry, Co.Down visiting the mountains of mourne and was surprised by all the negative reviews which left me feeling compelled to give my review. We stayed in the hotel and had a lovely stay. The food was excellent the room was comfortable with décor that was tastefully done. Our enjoyable stay was helped in no small way by the friendliness of the staff Breege and Aine and their colleagues. Thanks also to their chef from Annalong who prepared such beautiful dinners for both of us and also the desserts which were just delicious! All in all a pleasant weekend was had, finished off with a great nights dancing to Robert Mizzell, we will, hopefully, be going back again.

Eileen and John, Co.Wicklow

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank EODonnell34
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Stayed here with my hubby and our children last week a little xmas treat for them.we arrived at d hotel and were greeted by the assisant manager she said the room was a 100 pound for the nite which i thought was good as there was the 5 of us.including breakfast.everything seemed pretty quiet which i thought was strange for a weekend and xmas around the corner. We went up stairs after payin big mistake. room was cold the cot d gave us for d baby was hanging together sheets wer dirty bare wires in the bathroom .no oil heating which they gave us an electric heater which went in fire after my hubby put it out we realised there was no fire alarms.we wer given a camp bed which was also broken.the plug wer d kettle was. was over loaded tv hairdryer and long lead from kettle which a child cud pull. totally unsafe for adults never mind children. after a night of stay we got up for breakfast which was tea and toast. i complained in the morning about our stay and got bad manners from the manager. i was told the manager of the hotel died and i saidni thought you wer the manager she said oh i mean d owner.wat an excuse this hotel is so not safe or clean stay clear from the mourne country dump.

• Stayed: December 2012
8  Thank coolnasillagh
Reviewed 14 February 2012

After a long day of traveling from cork to belfast we decided to stop in for dinner. As we were with a tour group it was all pre-arranged. I have to say the service we received at dinner was poor at best. The plates were basically thrown at us, no please or thank you. between courses i went to the bathroom and when i returned my mother (who was noticeably sick at the time due to illness) informed me that the waitress clearing the table just looked at mother and said 'Id want very long hands to get that wouldn't I' she said she looked at her in disbelief and that waitress went on to say 'well? ' and my mother as quick as she could reached for the plate! i think this is disgraceful i would mind as much if my mother wasnt ill! and so noticeably so!! I was asked not to make a fuss so i didnt. then i was informed that desert would be apple pie and i honestly have no idea what we received. Im guessing it was some sort of meringue. I would never recommend this hotel. From past experiances i have never seen such poor and inattentive service

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Linda R
Reviewed 5 February 2012

After having read reviews before we stayed in this hotel we were expecting a lot worse than what we got. Room was warm, clean bedding, (Maybe just a bit dated) but overall room was grand. Bathroom clean also and plenty of coffee etc for room faclities. Bit short staffed and continental breakfast was okay with us but maybe some people might lke the option of a fry up. Hotel just needs a bit of attention and could maybe pick up again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bluebrazilwta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Ramada Resort Dundalk
Ramada Resort Dundalk
#5 of 8 in Dundalk

Been to Mourne Country Hotel? Share your experiences!