“okay good points were good but bad was really bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mourne Country Hotel

Mourne Country Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Newry
newcastle
“okay good points were good but bad was really bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

when we first went into the hotel the receptionist tried to over charge by £120 the lady did not belive me so I had to get the printed documents out of my folder to prove I was telling the truth, she reluctantly agreed to honour the printed price, (we think they tried to over charge us because they had sold out all the rooms and had to us in the havan suite) which was no our fault it was theirs we had booked the room 8 weeks in advance, the room was lovely, big and clean beds were soft and comfortable although the remote control for tv did not work so great,
the next morning we got woke up at the ungodly hour of 7.50am on sunday morning by the alarms going off, which eventualy stopped but had woke every one up by this point, we got up and wanted to get in shower and shave ect but there was no hot water,, we rang down to reception and the lady said "well you should have it but ill go check" never heard anything else over 2 hours went by with no hot water so we had cold showers and shave ect. went down for breakfast and asked at reception who said some drunk people the night before had tampered with the gas and that was what the alarm was, we regained hot water early afternoon, breakfast was nice and plenty of it, breakfast staff were friendly and helpful, we had cooked breakfast on our 2nd morning which was £7.95 extra per person which was nice,
we stayed 2 nights 3days here and the maid service was not provided rubbish was left to build up in the rooms no clean towels or beds maid ect,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank eames762

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for a while. I first stayed in this hotel last year and my first experience left a lot to be desired. I was with a group of friends and we throughly enjoyed the dance our good experience ended there. When we went to go to the residents bar we were told by the unpleasant night porter (wears glasses) we couldn't go in but we could stay in the lobby and he would bring us our drinks. We thought this strange but decided not to argue with it. We then asked if we could get something to eat. We were met with the kitchen is closed and u can walk to the 24hr down the road. The group of us had all been drinking and some of us had traveled as far away as galway. Check out was fine.
The same group of us decided to stay here again at the start of the year, to be honest we only went back coz a favorite singer of ours was playing there. When I rang to make the booking I was dealing with a fella called cathal. He is a credit to the hotel. When I explained to him the poor service and experience we had the last time he apologised and went out of his way to help. When we all arrived cathal checked us in, and when we asked if our rooms were close to each others he quickly changed them so they were. When our night of dancing was over we retired to the lobby again for some drinks, Cathal came out to us with plates of sandwiches and tea and coffee for us. This experience left me feeling more inclined to stay in the mourne again. Maybe that night porter I had the misfortune of dealing with has had a very swift lesson in customer service, if he hasn't he isn't doing you any favours.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank KatrinaKilpatrick
ballymena. n ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is the first time I. Have felt the need to write a review because the accomodation was so bad. I stay in hostels, tents, b&b's and am by no means fussy but this was horrendous.
Whilst working in newry I decided to stay the night rather than travel home and originally considered cheap b&b but decided to pay bit more and stay in hotel. I knew it looked grubby outside but only wanted food and comfy bed. On arrival it was clear I was the only guest. I was pointed to corridor by a depressed looking receptionist and as I followed the filthy room signs I arrived in a room as depressed looking as she was. There was a small light over the door, no ceiling light and two tiny torch like lights beside bed. It was so dark I couldn't put my makeup on or read. God help any elderly person with poor eyesight.
When I went to bar for food I was told the hotel doesn't have food on a Monday! What?! So off I walked to the chipshop. The sink was dirty, tv control stuck to my hand (yikes) and the bed was like a board. Continental breakfast consisted of me in am empty room with a choice of a box of cereal, toast, a stale croissant or cereal bar. So much for the fresh fruit! The receptionshionist came out from her desk to get me a coffee then left again. With hard working people trying to run businesses I urge you not to support these types of establishments who don't give a damn!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank fantasyart

Travellers are raving about these Newry hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night...it was warm with friendly staff...nice stylist bedrooms....excellent shower....lovely bed...will definately stay again...the restaurant was lovely, good service with nice food...

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms...which is over half of them...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Had Christmas Lunch here with a group of approx 40 people who were all members of a local car club. Food and service was excellent. We had dining room to ourselves which was great as we had a Christmas raffle and we had time to have mingle with our friends

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marietmurphy
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I had the most superb bed AND it was properly made with scrumptiously cosy bed linen. I could not have asked for better. The continental breakfast was entirely perfect with delicious fruit supplied. Staff were attentive and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lynda F
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for a period of four days each month for the last two months.
The staff were wonderful and couldn't have been more helpful. The food was good. I had one of the refurbished rooms which was very comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: They haven't got a swimming pool but that wasn't important. Although it is a little out of...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank CheltenhamKate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
#6 of 16 in Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle

Been to Mourne Country Hotel? Share your experiences!