“what has happened to this hotel”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Sadly this Hotel has lost its zeal...i generally stay here once/twice a month but i think i will make alternative arrangements in future. There is decidely a rougher element staying here now. I did notice a troublesome element on my previous visit but put it down to a one off. However this time there was a real unease from some of the guests and staff due to a large group of loud agressive people in the bar. The Bar seemed bereft of any locals or other hotel guests. I ate my dinner and quickly left for my room even though there was a Premiership game on the TV. I decided to go back to the bar later on that night, again just this large group now quite inebriated had taken over a section on the bar. It seemed all the other hotel guests had gone to their rooms by 9:30pm and left this large family group to themselves

3  Thank Carraiglodge
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience. In regards to your experience the Granary Bar is a public bar and we regularly advertise football games, sports events etc that we are showing. I appreciate that you may feel that with a large crowd forming they were perhaps disturbing other guests within the bar. Our Bar Management, Security Staff & Senior Management monitor any person causing a disturbance, inappropriate behaviour, foul language or complaint from other guests and this would result in the accused being asked to leave the premises.
We pride ourselves on being a family friendly venue and a place where anyone can come & relax to enjoy a meal or quiet drink without feeling harassed or uncomfortable. It is not our aim to ever refuse business but were this jeopardises the comfort & safety of others we cannot compromise however we do try our best not to cause offence & to alleviate any inconvenience to anyone.
I hope that your previous visits will show the relaxing & memorable stay that you have come to enjoy. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future & If myself or any of the team can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime on johare@canalcourthotel.com.

Mrs Janet Bagnall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

have had many meals in the Canal court. Both the carvery downstairs and the restaurant upstairs serve very well priced meals. Staff in the restaurant are very attentive . There is a good selection and most times there is a two or three course set menu with good choices available.
I will visit again and use this as a "girls treat " with some of my pals.

Room Tip: parking can sometimes be difficult but there is normally available spaces at the shops near by.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your rcent visit & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

just back from a great weekend with my family the hotel excellent food was to die for would highly recommend this hotel staff very friendly rooms spotless and the entertainment over weekend brill we had no children with us but seen young familys there so i think every age group covered

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments and detailed review. We offer a variety of entertainment, from live bands in the Millers Suite to Traditional Irish Music within the Granary Bar.
It is nice to learn you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Had a meal with friends in the restaurant upstairs. The food was superb..beautifully presented..piping hot and tasted wonderful. The staff were attentive and friendly..the waitress couldn't do enough for us. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank GeeByee

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Old Mill Restaurant & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel deserves its 4 stars as everything is top of the range.
Huge room, beautifully decorated (third floor facing canal) and excellently maintained; hospitality ay WITH biscuits and also bottled water (I prefer still though); useable toiletries; very comfortable bed.
Lovely lounge areas and bars; tastefully decorated in keeping with the canal/warehouse theme.
Good live entertainment on Sunday night, which starts at a reasonable time.
Food in dining room excellent and huge portions; reasonably priced wines and extensive list.
Very comfortable, well appointed dining room with booth like privacy but not totally cut off from the ambience around.
Service throughout excellent, from walking in through the door to leaving.
Breakfast excellent.
Excellent value for £90B&B.
Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Front facing onto canal. Top floors in case of bar moise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your detailed review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is our aim to try and recreate a "home away from home", a place to relax & enjoy your time. I am glad we were able to provide you with a relaxing stay and we look forward to your return.
If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Canal Court in Newry.Brought my husband this time as previous was my Mothers 80th.All I can say is cant wait to come back.Staff are the friendliest people I've ever had in a hotel nothing is too much bother no matter what you ask for.Always smiling and have always time to ask how you are.The room was a great size with the biggest bed ever.I think it is a queen size.All the amenities you need in the bathroom and is of he best quality products.The breakfasts have good variety and fresh produce.We went for a evening meal and my Sirlion was the best I've eaten and of a very large portion .I could not put anything negative about this hotel as its got the whole package.What a wonderful stay we had and will definitely book again.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here while at a wedding. The rooms are well thought out. From a bottle opener at the end of the table to a decent hair dryer in the drawer. The beds are comfortable. I had a slipped disc when I stayed so I normally get up a few times during the night but I thought the bed was great. I was also very impressed with the breakfast experience. They have a continental buffet and also a cooked breakfast. I will defiantly be staying again. I had a look at the spa menu which is the price list. The spa treatments look expensive and don't really have simple back, neck and shoulder massages. (I never tried anything from the spa so can't really comment on spa experience). But the hotel itself is very nice, friendly staff and clean. Would recommend to anyone who's looking for somewhere to stay in Newry.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor, at the front overlooking the canal and it was fine. No disruptions or noises...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Mourne Country Hotel
The Whistledown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint
10 mi away
Ballymascanlon House Hotel

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!