“Large room, helpful staff, but noisy”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We checked in for one night - a Saturday - and were allocated a room on the first floor close to what turned out to be the venue for a wedding reception. The hotel is to be commended on the levels of insulation achieved with the glazing as we could not hear anything from outside, however, the noise levels from the corridor and room next door were significant. The corridor noise was not helped by the door to the room having a full one inch gap under the door so every conversation that was had by guests of the wedding in the corridors could be heard, as could the closing of every door - the door assisters could do with adjustment perhaps? We had a very disturbed night in a large well appointed room! There also seemed to be a perennial issue with the car park as the hotel is also a night club (of which nothing could be heard from the room). The staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding or function and if so get a room as far away as possible! A view over the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very pleasant attentive staff, from the warm welcome at reception, the chamber maids, the waiters & waitresses at dinner and the extremely efficient bar staff it doesn't get much better.
The evening meal in the old mill restaurant simply delicious and the breakfast the following morning as good as it gets. My wife and I stayed here several times and will definitely be back.
Credit where credit is due the management of this hotel run a well oiled machine and this is reflected in the great frontline staff you have.

Room Tip: Just ask staff they will look after yourvrequirements
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Mr Woods,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments and detailed review. We do aim to provide a relaxing & comfortable "home away from home" for guests and It is nice to learn you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay.
johare@canalcourthotel.com

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for one night with my husband on the shop till you drop deal, it was fantastic value, one night in a gorgeous double room, an evening meal, bottle of wine on our arrival and to top it off a £50 voucher for the nearby buttercrane shopping center! We had a brillant evening and would stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Roisin,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while visiting family in the area. I will return next year. Room was clean and staff was exceptional. It does get quite busy with a younger crowd on Saturday nights in the bar but it's not bothersome. Hotel is very convenient to bus station (shuttle bus runs from newry train station after every enterprise train). Close to shopping and restaurants.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank thomasjmcginnis1
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed in canal court last weekend with 5 other female friends on the one night spa break offer and came away feeling completely satisfied with our night away. The offer itself was great value for money, we experienced great food, with a fantastic menu to suit all tastes, helpful and pleasant staff and a very relaxing treatment. The lovely ladies that work in the spa even went as far to set up a surpise cake and fizzy strawberry wine for the twins birthday. A unique touch which made the girls day. The hotel itself as a welcoming,friendly atmosphere, I myself have stayed in quite a few hotels across the north and this is one of the best I have stayed in, so good I am booking another stay for next month. Canal Court should be boasting a 5 star reputation!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments. Delighted that we could make the birthday celebration even more special! I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We where awakened at 7:45am Saturday morning to the lovely sound off workmen shouting at each other and sawing block, if you are getting a room here do not take a room at the front off the hotel. I am sure the new walkway will look nice when finished but until then we shall be staying clear off this hotel..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anthony m

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review & I am sorry to learn of the noise issues that could be heard from your bedroom. Unfortunately road works & pavement maintenance are out of our control but we certainly could have offered you an alternative bedroom at the back of the hotel. Hopefully this experience will not deter you from revisiting and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Deputy General Manager
johare@canalcourthotel.com

Reviewed 4 March 2014

my partner and I had a meal in the restaurant the food was just fantastic , the staff where absolutely brilliant , they could not do enough for you , but where not in your face . just to finish a perfect evening they had a piano player in the upstairs bar , yes just unreal . well done to all the staff in the canal court

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable visit and hope to welcome you back to The Canal Court Hotel & Spa soon.
Deputy GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
Ramada Resort Dundalk
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Ballymascanlon House Hotel

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!