“Cool wedding”

The Crown Inn
Ranked #4 of 116 Restaurants in Huntingdon
Price range: US$21 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In idyllic grounds, The Crown Inn Broughton is a charming pub restaurant, housed in a Grade II Listed building. In a homely and cosy setting, The Crown offers traditional, hearty fare and local produce. Modern and welcoming, the bar offers a handpicked wine list, along with cider, spirits and regular guest ales. The lounge area has a comfortable seating area and a warm, cosy ambience. The traditional menu has a modern twist and uses fresh, seasonal produce, with delicious dishes that include pan Venison haunch, roast root vegetables, cavolo nero, violet potatoes or pan roasted Cod, bubble and squeak, braised leeks with a spinach and parsley sauce. There is also a list of exciting specials, while the tempting dessert menu features sweets like Butterscotch crème brulee with lemon shortbread or warm apple,blackberry, hazlenut crumble tart with clotted cream ice cream. In the Cambridgeshire countryside. The Crown Inn is close to St. Ives and Huntingdon and is just off both the A1/A14
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We held my daughter's wedding reception at the Crown, in a marquee in the grounds. About 120 guests. It was a great success. My daughter and her fiance were opposed to the conventional wedding industry solutions, and the Crown came up with the goods, very sympathetic to an alternative approach, went to great trouble to source interesting local food, as opposed to the standard airline-style wedding meal. The green outside the pub was a lovely country setting, suitable for chatting and singing and jollity, children just ran around and played. Then we sat down for the meal and after the speeches when the lights and the sun went down the heated marquee was transformed into quite an atmospheric party venue with a band and dj until 2am.
Cost was moderate -- food around £20 a head, plus £2600 for a marquee with dance floor, plus booze where we spent most of our money, ie the important bit! Then of course there was the vintage bus from Huntingdon register office, the car, the photographer, the band, the suits etc etc etc etc. Move on.
Result, happiness, a big part of this due to the diplomatic skills of manageress Colombe, which believe me you will need and appreciate! She also did the flowers, very stylish and fashionable chose exactly the same ones I saw outside Liberty in London the day before we came down.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I meet a good friend of mine for dinner half way between both houses and the usual restaurant we have dinner at was booked. After logging on to Trip Advisor I saw this restaurant logged as number one and thought why not try it for a change! I can totally see why this has been rated the top for this area. The welcome we received as we arrived was charming, the food was AMAZING and the service was even better! I would recommend booking before you go as understandably it was very popular with reviews as good as they are. We had three courses each and didn’t leave a drop! The menu was varied with all being local produce and the specials gave you something different if you didn’t find anything on the main menu. I could have chosen at least 4 main meals to eat and I was struggling to pick – rare for me! I have to say I was delighted with our dinner on Wednesday night and will certainly be changing to this establishment now we have discovered such a find! Décor was well done and had a lovely atmosphere – well done guys…couldn’t find fault with anything.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Following a chilly September morning "Hawk Walk" at the Raptor Foundation in nearby Woodhurst today (17 Sept), this was our first visit to this pleasantly situated, unpretentious pub/restaurant at lunch time.
We opted for the leek and cream soup which was excellent and came with crusty brown chunks of bread and real butter. We couldn't manage a main but couldn't resist the pudding menu. I had the 3-chocolate mousses which came with strips of brandy snap which had a kick (I think of chilli). It was delicious. My friend had the brioche & butter pudding which had a filling of apple and came with home-made creamy custard. We both left feeling very full and extremely happy to have found this gem on the internet. The staff were friendly and courteous. I have run and worked in pubs and restaurants and I found this to be a really comfortable place to be. And to top it, there was a really lovely picture in the bar of Godmanchester, by Michael Mayson, which I bought for an extremely reasonable price.

1  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Had a very good Sunday lunch at this restaurant. The service was very attentive, reasonably priced, plenty of choice and nice surroundings. Would definitely return, and recommend to all our friends.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had a delicious meal here and the staff here were all so friendly and helpful. The waitress immediately offered an alternative to the accompaniment of my son's meal when we explained he didn't like the actual combination on offer. The menu was interesting and the flavours were tasty. We will certainly be going back!