“Birthday lunch”

The Old Bridge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Had informal lunch in lounge area for 3 people
Service a little slow but nye not always the easiest of times
Food quality excellent
Staff pleasant and polite
Comfortable seating
Didn't feel hurried at all

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Really pleased you enjoyed it Sue and we will work even harder - to try to ensure we get a five start report from you next time!
With kind regards
John Hoskins, Proprietor

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in the four-poster room (see main photo) which is one of the most expensive rooms for 2 nights at £150 per night when I was in Huntington doing a case (I'm a Barrister). The room was lovely, and the bathroom was huge. I'm afraid the food doesn't match the standard of the room.
The waiters were really friendly. At dinner on both evenings I ordered a 3 course meal from the fixed price menu. The first dinner was ok but the side order of rocket salad with kernels was rather disappointing - basically it was a bunch of rocket on a plate with no kernels for £3.75! The second evenings dinner was even more disappointing. I ordered the trout as a starter which turned out to be two thick chunks of raw trout. Had I known it was going to be thick sushi I wouldn't have ordered it.
But the most disappointing thing was the check-out experience. The hotel had basically overcharged me for both dinners on my bill. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she appeared to take offence. There was no apology for the overcharging and she told me abruptly it was up to the customer to check their bill - with respect its the hotel's responsibility not to overcharge me! When I came back later and was given the revised bill, I understandably checked it again. The receptionist appeared to take offence again and abruptly asked me if I wanted a calculator with no apology for the initial mistake again. Because of the receptionist's behavior I asked to see the manager and was told she wasn't around but the receptionist promised that the manager would contact me at lunchtime, but she never did.
So not only did the hotel overcharge me but they were rude about it when I pointed this out. This was appalling customer service and I won't be staying again.
Maybe I'll get a response from the manager after reading my comments...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Tariq S
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

I of course am sorry - and apologise personally - that you were unhappy with your stay.

But your criticisms are, I feel, a little unfair.

if for some reason the rocket, parmesan and pine nut salad was missing the pine nuts, then you only had to say and we would have added them. Our fault, of course, but not a crisis. And the trout dish you refer to is described as 'Cured rainbow trout'. Cured means 'marinated' in salt (and in this case herbs and spices) so that the raw product stays raw, but is preserved and takes on extra flavour. I am sorry you didn't like it and of course we will always replace any dish that someone doesn't like.

We were indeed wrong to give you an incorrect bill. But the discussion between you and the receptionist was described by an inspector from the Tourist Board, waiting to pay her bill, as "extremely well handled" by the receptionist. The impression was that you were angry and not to be reasoned with. Your anger seems evident from the fact that you have chosen to write this on Trip Advisor rather than contacting me directly about it.

Once again my apologies. I am sorry to lose you as a potential customer. We do make mistakes of course, but I really am confident both in the general quality of our food and the pleasantness of our staff. We will do whatever we can to keep our guests happy.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Several colleagues recommended that I stay here and their recommendations were well founded. The staff is exceptionally nice, the room was lovely, and the shower is the best shower I've ever had in a hotel. You "could" stay in the big box stores in the area, but why when you have this wonderful establishment to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you ThereBeBears - the showers are certainly powerful and we're grateful for your endorsement.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have been here two times now and at both occasions I was impressed by the friendliness of the employees, the quality of the kitchen and the friendliness of the hotel. Stay in Huntingdon and stay at "Old bridge". You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank H S
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Many thanks HS, your support is really appreciated.
We are indeed making the food more traditionally "English" at present - glad to see it has been noticed!
Kind regards

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been visiting the Old Bridge Hotel for a number of year now and it never disappoints.

From the friendly staff to the rooms that all decorated in a different without losing any of them losing their charm and quality.

Most of the rooms and I have been in most over my various stays are really comfortable with the most fantastic pillows that are from New Zealand and stuffed with Lambs wool providing a great nights sleep. the bathrooms are large with rolled top baths.

For the first time my wife and I stayed on their package that includes and evening meal and the food was excellent.

I cannot possibly find any fault with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

A splendid experience !

Room Tip: I doubt if you will find a bad room, as I mentioned I have stayed in quite a few but not all so chec...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John A
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear John A

Thank you for your enthusiastic and very kind words.
We really appreciate it - and your continued business.

John Hoskins

PS Our normal pillows are goose-down; hypoallergenic versions are lambswool - both very comfortable, we hope!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We had a great Sunday lunch here yesterday (15 of us). The food in general was superb, although there was nothing on the starters menu that tempted me others in our party enjoyed theirs. I had fantastic roast beef with all the trimmings followed by sticky toffee pudding - all delicious. The service was friendly and polite, could have been a little more attentive as we had to keep calling over our waiter when we needed something. Overall very very good and would definitely go back again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Really glad you enjoyed it - almost made up for the disappointment of Lyn below, apparently on the same day! It was a busy lunch, but we will speak to the team to work harder on the 'attentiveness' issue.
Best wishes

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Having read previous reviews, this was the perfect place for us to drive from Norfolk to meet friends for Sunday Lunch who were driving down from Leicestershire. The hotel itself looks lovely with its setting by the river and plenty of parking spaces! However, when you are charging premium prices, everything has to be right. I started with the parsnip soup which was thick and stodgy but worst of all luke warm. The other starters seemed to be OK. We all ordered beef which was OK, but again everything was luke warm (including the plate), so a few minutes into us eating meant everything was stone cold. The sweets were fine except my Husband ordered syrup sponge pudding and custard. Well the custard just about covered the sponge thus making eating very heavy going. No where near enough custard.was served.
Finally the dining room was so noisy the four of us couldn't hear ourselves speak. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyn2507

Sorry to hear of your disappointment Lyn.
I have checked the soup and I have to admit that I do like that rather 'rustic' style. But I have spoken to the Chefs about the heat of the plates - we must try harder to make them as hot as is reasonably possible.
Unfortunately I can't change the room - it is indeed a very noisy atmosphere when busy.
I do hope you will give us another try one day.
With best wishes
John Hoskins, Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#5 of 9 in Huntingdon
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!