“Could be better”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
East Anglia, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Called in for afternoon tea recently. The dining room is pretty, and there is a cosy bar area. The outside terrace looks nice for the summer. However, the tea they do is rather limited as although they have a range of teas/coffees, food is limited to scones with cream and jam, or biscuits. What a pity they do not do little afternoon tea sandwiches or cakes. What we had was good, but the scones are huge. It'd be better to have more but smaller! Service was a bit disorganised but the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for the review and I am (at least) glad you enjoyed what you had. You are right, we keep our tea very simple. Much better to do something well (we feel) than try to do a lot and do it badly. Our scones are hugely popular and come out the oven around 2pm every day. If we made them any smaller there would be a riot!

John Hoskins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our wedding was on the 1st June 2013 and we could not have chosen a better venue!
Nina (the hotel Manager) coordinated the wedding and she couldn't have been more helpful, full of wonderful ideas and suggestions.

On the day the staff made me feel like a princess, nothing was to much trouble, everything I mislaid was looked after (and i kept putting things down all day) my glass was never empty and they knew exactly what needed to be done next to quietly prompt me (otherwise I may have even forgotten to cut the cake).
Everywhere I looked I was smiled at by a member of staff.
The food was amazing, i dont think there was a empty plate in the room and the service was faultless. When my husband was about to give his speech he asked where the gifts were and our waiter pointed out they had already placed them under the table...how organised!
The same staff worked through the evening reception and again the attention that the whole party was given was perfect! My Dad asked for a few more chairs and this request was promptly seen to!
At the end of the night I did get the opportunity to speak to Nina and her staff and say a huge thank you for helping to make our day so perfect, but I want to take this opportunity to say it again, as 9 months on all your hard work and dedication is still a topic of conversation when talking about our wedding memories!
We have been in once or twice since and are planning to make a visit again soon for our one year anniversary and with our latest edition (due in just over 3 weeks) as we would like to show her where our where our married life started!!
Thank you all again for helping to make our day so perfect!!
Rachael and Matthew Jacklin

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachael J
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you so much! We don't do hundreds of weddings but we hope that those we do host are very special indeed. It's great to have your positive feedback.
Best wishes
Alconbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Yesterday had lunch with 3 friends and it was SO disappointing. We had all eaten there before so were aware what standard to expect. Firstly car parking was almost impossible and after the second trip around we managed to wedge in a space! We received the normal courteous greeting and were shown to a very pleasant round table by the window. Drinks were ordered and when delivered to the table were unfortunately spilt over one of us and her handbag! Our lunch orders were taken and at this time only 2 or 3 other tables were occupied. We waited about 30 minutes for our food and it was disappointing. Two ladies had crab linguini, which they both said was flavourless, crab deficient and barely lukewarm! Another had the belly of pork, which was delicious, but the vegetable and rosti were very overcooked and almost stuck to the plate. My fish was tasty, but the chips were very over cooked! The waitress was very attentive and passed our concerns back to the kitchen who agreed about the pasta and chips (although I had only left one for them to test!) but not the other vegetables.

We did not give up and went on to desserts! The Bakewell tart, ice cream and the expresso with ice cream were wonderful.

We were not charged for the pasta meals, but our ladies lunch was certainly not what we expected from The Bridge.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JudithAylott
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
I certainly apologise - without reservation - that the food took 30 minutes and that you felt disappointed with both the crab dish and the belly pork.

However, although it's dangerous for me to 'protest', I feel I should make a couple of points in our defence.

I am assured that the drink was not spilt actually onto any of the guests.

We did check with your table when you had started eating - we would of course have replaced anything you didn't like, without question, at that stage.

When you had finished you mentioned your disappointment. We agreed with you about the crab and the chips and we took them off your bill. We then also gave you complimentary coffee and chocolate truffles as a small token of apology.

In our business we must accept that we make mistakes. We have to think how we can avoid any repetition and also try to win over the disappointed customer. In this case we removed both the cost of your food and gave you something complimentary. I am sure that didn't completely make up for your experience, but for you then to tell the world how disappointed you were seems a little harsh.

We have since had a most positive review of the crab dish on the other Trip Advisor page (the one for the Old Bridge Hotel Restaurant). So I hope we have rectified that problem. I would also like to think that 60 full car park space indicates that we do get it right most (if not all) of the time!

As I said, I am sorry to take issue with your review. I would simply suggest that in the real world where things can occasionally go wrong, how a complaint is dealt with is perhaps as important as the complaint itself.

Please do come into the wine shop when you are next in the hotel - I would like to be able to apologise to you in person.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Had informal lunch in lounge area for 3 people
Service a little slow but nye not always the easiest of times
Food quality excellent
Staff pleasant and polite
Comfortable seating
Didn't feel hurried at all

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Really pleased you enjoyed it Sue and we will work even harder - to try to ensure we get a five start report from you next time!
With kind regards
John Hoskins, Proprietor
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in the four-poster room (see main photo) which is one of the most expensive rooms for 2 nights at £150 per night when I was in Huntington doing a case (I'm a Barrister). The room was lovely, and the bathroom was huge. I'm afraid the food doesn't match the standard of the room.
The waiters were really friendly. At dinner on both evenings I ordered a 3 course meal from the fixed price menu. The first dinner was ok but the side order of rocket salad with kernels was rather disappointing - basically it was a bunch of rocket on a plate with no kernels for £3.75! The second evenings dinner was even more disappointing. I ordered the trout as a starter which turned out to be two thick chunks of raw trout. Had I known it was going to be thick sushi I wouldn't have ordered it.
But the most disappointing thing was the check-out experience. The hotel had basically overcharged me for both dinners on my bill. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she appeared to take offence. There was no apology for the overcharging and she told me abruptly it was up to the customer to check their bill - with respect its the hotel's responsibility not to overcharge me! When I came back later and was given the revised bill, I understandably checked it again. The receptionist appeared to take offence again and abruptly asked me if I wanted a calculator with no apology for the initial mistake again. Because of the receptionist's behavior I asked to see the manager and was told she wasn't around but the receptionist promised that the manager would contact me at lunchtime, but she never did.
So not only did the hotel overcharge me but they were rude about it when I pointed this out. This was appalling customer service and I won't be staying again.
Maybe I'll get a response from the manager after reading my comments...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tariq S
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
I of course am sorry - and apologise personally - that you were unhappy with your stay.

But your criticisms are, I feel, a little unfair.

if for some reason the rocket, parmesan and pine nut salad was missing the pine nuts, then you only had to say and we would have added them. Our fault, of course, but not a crisis. And the trout dish you refer to is described as 'Cured rainbow trout'. Cured means 'marinated' in salt (and in this case herbs and spices) so that the raw product stays raw, but is preserved and takes on extra flavour. I am sorry you didn't like it and of course we will always replace any dish that someone doesn't like.

We were indeed wrong to give you an incorrect bill. But the discussion between you and the receptionist was described by an inspector from the Tourist Board, waiting to pay her bill, as "extremely well handled" by the receptionist. The impression was that you were angry and not to be reasoned with. Your anger seems evident from the fact that you have chosen to write this on Trip Advisor rather than contacting me directly about it.

Once again my apologies. I am sorry to lose you as a potential customer. We do make mistakes of course, but I really am confident both in the general quality of our food and the pleasantness of our staff. We will do whatever we can to keep our guests happy.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Several colleagues recommended that I stay here and their recommendations were well founded. The staff is exceptionally nice, the room was lovely, and the shower is the best shower I've ever had in a hotel. You "could" stay in the big box stores in the area, but why when you have this wonderful establishment to choose from.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you ThereBeBears - the showers are certainly powerful and we're grateful for your endorsement.
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I have been here two times now and at both occasions I was impressed by the friendliness of the employees, the quality of the kitchen and the friendliness of the hotel. Stay in Huntingdon and stay at "Old bridge". You won't be disappointed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank H S
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Many thanks HS, your support is really appreciated.
We are indeed making the food more traditionally "English" at present - glad to see it has been noticed!
Kind regards
John Hoskins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!