“Fabulous hotel, but limited things to do”
Review of The Old Bridge

and 1 more site!
The Old Bridge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent a Sunday night at the Old Bridge - afternoon tea, wine tasting, dinner etc.

The staff were professional and efficient, although we did wait a fair while for tea and coffee at both afternoon tea and again at breakfast.when Fabulous wine tasting facility, after which we enjoyed a very pleasant dinner in the conservatory. A rather "meaty" menu, although there was one fish dish which was delicious.

Our individually decorated four poster room was very comfortable, but I would recommend rails for hanging clothes on rather than three-way hooks for hangers. We could have had a party in the bathroom, it was so big!!

I asked for scrambled egg at breakfast and got just that - no garnish in the presentation.

We had a lovely walk along the Great Ouse towards Hartford, but there were limited things to do in the immediate area, and the hotel had no real garden in which to relax (as the weather was good).

Room Tip: Try not to get one facing towards the A14 as it can get noisy. We had one overlooking the "gar...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you LouiseC and really glad you enjoyed it.
I wish I'd had a chance to talk to you about things to do - so many recommendations, depending on what you like of course!
Best wishes

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked the day before and took my partner to the hotel for Dinner last Friday evening. The bar and restaurant was quite busy and it was suggested we went to the bar for a drink which we did and a waiter came and left us with the Menu and the wine list. There was a full a la carte listed or some items were stared which meant one could have two courses for just £17.00 which was great value. The wine list was very extensive as there is a wine shop as part of the hotel. We chose a very nice Rose which was only £19.95. The total bill was just under £70.00 for a very enjoyable evening.
By the way if you are a boat owner or renter on the River Great Ouse one can moor up right outside - so no driving afterwards!

Room Tip: Sorry we did not stay - we had our own boat outside!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gill M
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you Gill M - and yes we do welcome boat owners onto our mooring! 50 yards and you are in the bar....
Regards

Reviewed 22 April 2014

y wife get round to having lunch her about once a year and always find the staff most pleasant and the Adnams beer excellent.
We generally have one of the super sandwiches off the menu which are packed full of the chosen filling
we went yesterday and enjoyedit as usual

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Brianba thank you very much. Please come again before next year!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We went for a bar lunch on a Saturday and had been advised to arrive early for lunch as it gets busy, this is a good tip. The ambience is relaxed and friendly, the interior is English country style and comfortable. We were served promptly and by a friendly waitress and the food was good and arrived quickly. All in all a very enjoyable lunch.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank CarmenLily
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Really pleased you enjoyed it CarmenLily. It certainly does get busy at lunchtimes, but we hope we can see you again soon.
John Hoskins, Proprietor

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Called in for afternoon tea recently. The dining room is pretty, and there is a cosy bar area. The outside terrace looks nice for the summer. However, the tea they do is rather limited as although they have a range of teas/coffees, food is limited to scones with cream and jam, or biscuits. What a pity they do not do little afternoon tea sandwiches or cakes. What we had was good, but the scones are huge. It'd be better to have more but smaller! Service was a bit disorganised but the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for the review and I am (at least) glad you enjoyed what you had. You are right, we keep our tea very simple. Much better to do something well (we feel) than try to do a lot and do it badly. Our scones are hugely popular and come out the oven around 2pm every day. If we made them any smaller there would be a riot!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our wedding was on the 1st June 2013 and we could not have chosen a better venue!
Nina (the hotel Manager) coordinated the wedding and she couldn't have been more helpful, full of wonderful ideas and suggestions.

On the day the staff made me feel like a princess, nothing was to much trouble, everything I mislaid was looked after (and i kept putting things down all day) my glass was never empty and they knew exactly what needed to be done next to quietly prompt me (otherwise I may have even forgotten to cut the cake).
Everywhere I looked I was smiled at by a member of staff.
The food was amazing, i dont think there was a empty plate in the room and the service was faultless. When my husband was about to give his speech he asked where the gifts were and our waiter pointed out they had already placed them under the table...how organised!
The same staff worked through the evening reception and again the attention that the whole party was given was perfect! My Dad asked for a few more chairs and this request was promptly seen to!
At the end of the night I did get the opportunity to speak to Nina and her staff and say a huge thank you for helping to make our day so perfect, but I want to take this opportunity to say it again, as 9 months on all your hard work and dedication is still a topic of conversation when talking about our wedding memories!
We have been in once or twice since and are planning to make a visit again soon for our one year anniversary and with our latest edition (due in just over 3 weeks) as we would like to show her where our where our married life started!!
Thank you all again for helping to make our day so perfect!!
Rachael and Matthew Jacklin

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael J
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you so much! We don't do hundreds of weddings but we hope that those we do host are very special indeed. It's great to have your positive feedback.
Best wishes

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Yesterday had lunch with 3 friends and it was SO disappointing. We had all eaten there before so were aware what standard to expect. Firstly car parking was almost impossible and after the second trip around we managed to wedge in a space! We received the normal courteous greeting and were shown to a very pleasant round table by the window. Drinks were ordered and when delivered to the table were unfortunately spilt over one of us and her handbag! Our lunch orders were taken and at this time only 2 or 3 other tables were occupied. We waited about 30 minutes for our food and it was disappointing. Two ladies had crab linguini, which they both said was flavourless, crab deficient and barely lukewarm! Another had the belly of pork, which was delicious, but the vegetable and rosti were very overcooked and almost stuck to the plate. My fish was tasty, but the chips were very over cooked! The waitress was very attentive and passed our concerns back to the kitchen who agreed about the pasta and chips (although I had only left one for them to test!) but not the other vegetables.

We did not give up and went on to desserts! The Bakewell tart, ice cream and the expresso with ice cream were wonderful.

We were not charged for the pasta meals, but our ladies lunch was certainly not what we expected from The Bridge.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank JudithAylott
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

I certainly apologise - without reservation - that the food took 30 minutes and that you felt disappointed with both the crab dish and the belly pork.

However, although it's dangerous for me to 'protest', I feel I should make a couple of points in our defence.

I am assured that the drink was not spilt actually onto any of the guests.

We did check with your table when you had started eating - we would of course have replaced anything you didn't like, without question, at that stage.

When you had finished you mentioned your disappointment. We agreed with you about the crab and the chips and we took them off your bill. We then also gave you complimentary coffee and chocolate truffles as a small token of apology.

In our business we must accept that we make mistakes. We have to think how we can avoid any repetition and also try to win over the disappointed customer. In this case we removed both the cost of your food and gave you something complimentary. I am sure that didn't completely make up for your experience, but for you then to tell the world how disappointed you were seems a little harsh.

We have since had a most positive review of the crab dish on the other Trip Advisor page (the one for the Old Bridge Hotel Restaurant). So I hope we have rectified that problem. I would also like to think that 60 full car park space indicates that we do get it right most (if not all) of the time!

As I said, I am sorry to take issue with your review. I would simply suggest that in the real world where things can occasionally go wrong, how a complaint is dealt with is perhaps as important as the complaint itself.

Please do come into the wine shop when you are next in the hotel - I would like to be able to apologise to you in person.

John Hoskins

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#6 of 9 in Huntingdon
Poets House
Poets House
#1 of 4 in Ely

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!