“Good stay.”

Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed whilst on business in local area. Ticked all the boxes for a quiet and refreshing stay, a great night's sleep and good breakfast (although wasn't included and on the upper end of average price-wise). Hotel was obviously new and in the first weeks/months of opening; whilst staff were a tad inexperienced this was more than made up with good service and a smile, and check in staff were welcoming and friendly - thank you.

Very comfortable room, clean and decent décor - nice to have a desk and easy chair. Wifi was available and air conditioning in the rooms was a definite plus. Hot water pressure in bathroom was very low, great bathroom appliances but could not use to full potential!

Good bar, usual drinks and comfortable seating. Did not take dinner so can't comment.

Thank you for a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the car park, not noisy though but a consideration when busy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read your stay was an enjoyable one and that our team were welcoming. I have asked our Maintenance Engineer to investigate and take corrective action as required with regard to the shower pressure.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, should your travel plans bring you back to the Huntingdon area.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Good hotel but let down as not recognised as platinum member no upgrade no free drink or points nothing !!!! Great location pity the above let it down
Would have definitely stayed again but for the above
Food excellent nice concept normal holiday inn drinks

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew300

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel. My apologies that your Platinum membership status was not recognised, it is our standard to do so. Your comments have been brought to the attention of the Front Office Manager, and steps taken to ensure that our valued IHG Rewards members are recognised, as we appreciate the loyalty to our brand and hotel.

I do hope that if your travel plans bring you back to Huntingdon you will choose to stay with us again, to allow us to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My company had pre-booked my room with breakfast several weeks in advance. The original quote including breakfast was good in comparison to alternative hotels in the area; and the tripadvisor reviews were good therefore this hotel was chosen. The email confirmation then said that it was room only. My company checked with the hotel, and it was confirmed that breakfast was included. I had my doubts.
On arrival (don't use the postcode, it takes you the wrong side of the A14) the barrier lifted to enter the car park, but the "take your ticket" is a confusing message because no ticket is provided on entering.
The front looks directly onto the racecourse, so if you are here for the races it is perfectly situated. The open plan reception/lounge/dining/breakfast/bar/tv area is airy if somewhat unusual.
Plenty of staff waiting to assist you. The young girl took all my details, asked me to wait until she checked if my room was ready, no problem, that's fine. Yes she confirmed my room was ready, gave me a piece of card with my room details on and directed me to the first floor. I found my room, but the card I had been given did not give me access to my room so I had to go back down to reception. "Sorry Sir!", ok no problem, we all make mistakes. This time I was given a proper keycard which worked.
The room was nice, king size bed and looked clean. View was the rear carpark but I didn't expect "herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains", so no problem. Room was very cold so I had to turn the aircon right up and waited till it kicked in.
The tv was housed in a purpose built wooden surround, it looked nice but unfortunately it meant most of the sound went into the wall rather than into the room.
Tea and coffee sachets were in short supply and 1 of the 2 teaspoons was dirty.
The towels were reasonably clean (if you ignored the red spots, which hopefully were not the previous occupants blood). The power shower was very good, but those swivel plug holes are not my favourite. The towel rail was cold so I searched for the on switch, and eventually found it outside the bathroom and at ceiling height, which is ok for a 6 footer like me, I can stretch up and turn it on, but if you are under 6 foot either bring a ladder or accept your towels will remain cold and wet.
Went down to the "open" area for my evening meal. After waiting at a table for over 5 minutes I approached the bar and asked if I could order food, "if you take a table sir, someone will come and take your order"! strange, I'd been sat there waiting and the bar staff had ignored me for at least 5 minutes.
The menu had 1 vegetarian option - vegetable chilli. 2 fish options - salmon or fish & chips. I went for the latter at £9.95. It tasted okay, and the neatly stacked four by three chips were novel, but the "crushed mint peas" were just mushy peas with mint. A regular glass of coke £2.20.
Service was reasonable with passing waitresses asking me every 5 minutes if I wanted anything else "no thanks". After the 5th time, it got annoying so I assumed they wanted me to move on.
Back in my room, just settling down to do some paperwork and the room phone rings "Sir, its the reception, we need you to sign for your meal"! That would have been a useful comment during the 5 times you asked me if I wanted something else. The waitress knocked at my door 15 minutes later "Sorry Sir!"
Couple of hours later I threw up. Was it the fish - I don't know, but it was a strong suspect.
Settled down for the night, thought the bed linen was a bit itchy, but assumed it was just my skin getting used to the new environment. You will hear doors banging all night long, the walls are thin, but there we go.
Woke up in the morning and had several itchy red bite marks!
Breakfast buffet was good although service was a bit hit and miss. I was asked if I wanted tea/coffee; "coffee please". Small jug of coffee and milk delivered promptly. 5 minutes later I had to go and ask for a cup so that I could actually drink out of something. "Sorry, sir" An easy oversight?
At check-out, found that despite being told the opposite, breakfast was not included in the £99 cost for the room.
Sorry but for £100 a night, there are a lot better places to stay.
The receptionist asked if everything had been ok? "No", I replied, but thinking what on earth could the manager do about food poisoning and bed bugs other than say "Sorry Sir!" (and/or have a discount next time you stay here) I said "There is nothing you can do about it now".

That was my experience of staying here, I accept I may have been unlucky on this occasion; the vomiting may not have been linked to the fish, the bites during the night may have been a one-off unhappy spider, but my personal experience of Holiday Inns has had few positives.
In my meeting later that day, colleagues were talking about where to stay locally, you can guess what I suggested about the Holiday Inn.
I have to stay in this area several times a year; but I will be trying the alternative hotels next time. I accept the manager will not be comfortable with my honest review; I accept some tripadvisor readers will dismiss it as "one of those negative people". That's fine, on that particular stay I may have just been unlucky. Please feel free to try it yourself and I'm sure you will be luckier than I was (have a flutter on the gee gees at the same time).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank GazBouch
MTurner2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent, honest review. Although I might not agree with all of the points that you have raised I have thoroughly investigated every one of them. I do agree that there are certain areas that we need to improve on through revised procedures and training where necessary. I have checked the bedroom that you stayed in and cannot find any evidence to support your comments regarding the issues that you reported and I have followed up with the Chefs on their hygiene and temperature controls to ensure all dishes are correctly served. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not we did not come up to standard but do hope that in the future I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review as I'm still currently staying at this hotel, for two nights with work. I feel I must write this review now however so I don't forget just how annoyed I was when I had my encounter with the chef. Arrived back from work last night, had a lovely greeting at reception and checked in swiftly. After a few hours I went to dinner, which took longer to arrive than I might have liked but they were busy and 'chef' was working alone, according to the incredibly friendly and professional bar/ waiting staff. Top notch food, just what I wanted and the drinks were superb. Our after dinner coffees were huge and very satisfying. I went to my room and remained undisturbed until my alarm at 5AM. Now, what I must mention is that breakfast on a Saturday (although it is a buffet and I have had it many a time whilst working away and staying in these holiday inn's) is not served until 7.30. My boss had made a special request for the continental to be available at 6.30am for my colleagues and I, who would be rising and leaving the hotel before the advertised time of breakfast being served. This was confirmed as being 'absolutely not a problem' by the lovely young man behind the bar Friday evening after dinner. HOWEVER. After rising at 5am and having a fight with my hair, THE LAST THING I wanted to hear from the rather snotty chef was 'breakfast isn't 'till 7.30 SWEETHEART' Once i had began to help myself to fruit. I explained that we had requested early breakfast, he shrugged it off and toddled off into the kitchen. I am absolutely disgusted that a member of staff would think it acceptable to call me 'sweetheart' in a sarcastic tone at 6.30 in the morning. Regardless of the fact that I'm slim blonde of 21, I still don't think I should be spoken to like a child. I must mention that when I then asked a member of the waiting staff if I was alight to start, he assured me it was ok. Still, not over the moon. Rest assured I'll be eating out tonight and I've bought my own bananas for the morning!!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Iamchloeblack
MTurner2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I was pleased to read that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our Front of House and Food and Beverage team have been welcoming.

My apologies for the manner in which my chef referred to you, I would like to assure you that no offence was intended, however I have taken steps to ensure a similar situation will not happen in the future.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again, should your travel plans bring you back to the area. May I ask that you contact me directly to make a booking, as I would welcome the opportunity to personally welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a very new hotel. The rooms are excellent. They are spacious clean and bright with comfortable beds and a choice of firm or soft pillows (nice touch).
The staff are very personable and eager to please.
I had pork belly for dinner which was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us and your positive comments regarding the hotel and the team, I was pleased to read your stay was a comfortable one.

Should your travel plans bring you back to the Huntingdon area, I do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, decor great clean, well it should be its new. Stayed one night, and it must be the most disorganised holiday inn I have stayed at, laughing as I watch food being taken to wrong tables. Room for improvement, as I still wait for my food, thank goodness its not busy.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1Dave_B_23
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Guest

My apologies that our service did not meet your expectations, we had a number of new employees start with us this week who are still finding their feet. However I am confident that they will prove to be valuable members of my team.

I do hope that if your travel plans bring you back to the area you will choose to stay with us again, as I would welcome the opportunity to restore you faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Open for 10 days when I stayed the hotel is very modern, good value and well appointed with an innovative open-plan design for the public areas. The menu is a bit odd - no real starters on offer, and the special for the day "slow cooked pork belly" was re-cooked on a griddle. It tasted OK but wasn't what I expected. The breakfast was part-buffet with the cooked part done to order. As it came quickly that was OK. Really convenient for the racecourse, but also close to the A1/A14. Very nice and helpful staff. I would happily stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse. I was pleased to read your positive comments regarding our Open Lobby concept, which is brand new to Holiday Inn, also that the team were helpful during your stay with us.

As a new hotel with a new concept we are constantly reviewing all aspects of our service and product, this is includes our menu, thank you for your feedback as this helps us make improvements to meet our guest’s expectations.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse? Share your experiences!