“Nice central Hotel”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed here on business, on a week day eveing. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the court yeard rooms(only 3 yrs old). Clean, well furnished and quiet. The hotel is an old building but has been done up very well. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the town centre, which was ideal.

Did not eat here in the evening but the menu was comprehansive and well priced. Only had toast for breakfast but again the choice was good and from what I could see lokked fine.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked a for a ground floor room and got the court yard, I would recommend this
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at The George Hotel from Friday 24th January until Sunday the 26th. We arrived late Friday evening and checked in around 9.15pm. The receptionist was very welcoming and very helpful and we even managed to eat in the restaurant and they were very accommodating by even serving a desert well after 10 o'clock when it was supposed to finish. We found the room very clean and well equipped. The staff were very pleasant at all times, especially those on breakfast duty. We also ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and found the food very pleasant. It is an old building and the floors do creek a lot but it is all part of the charm of that age of building. We would definitely stay again and found it very good value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 6 and 9. They were both superior rooms and room 6 where our friends stayed had...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

My team and I are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here with some friends,we met up between Christmas and New Year,it was a central location as we all had to travel and Huntingdon fitted the bill.
The George is well located at the end of town with easy access to the town centre and some lovely open areas all within walking distance,it has a public car park adjacent which is pay and display but as a guest parking is free,just inform reception of your reg.
The building is old and when we were there the Christmas decorations were still up which added to the overall festive atmosphere,we were quickly booked in by the lady on reception although her manner was a bit brusque!
Our room was large with an en-suite,very clean if a bit tired,with plenty of storage space but no safe,the bed was comfortable and we both slept well
Breakfast was very good with a large choice of cooked food and cereals,fruit etc.,the staff were very friendly and our cooked breakfast arrived hot and fresh with endless tea and coffee.
We had the evening meal that night with what promised to be a varied menu but unfortunately some of the dishes were of as provisions had not been delivered,but what was available was again well cooked and served with a smile.We did not eat there in the evening of second night as the menu hadnt changed and subsequently the choices were even less! instead we chose to walk into town and found an excellent Italian restaurant.
In all we enjoyed the George and are planning to all meet there again in the near future

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am glad you enjoyed most of your stay. I have reviewed the amount of food we keep in with the chef so we do not run out of any other items. Thank you again.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The George Hotel is in a great position in Huntingdon with ample parking. I have been going to the George for more years than I care to remember, the staff are a true benefit to their company and are always incredibly friendly and helpful. I have on occasion had dinner here with friends and for business meetings I have arranged, the food has always been really nice and a good alternative to the other places in and around Huntingdon. It's an obvious choice for weddings etc and I have been to a few of my friends weddings here. Live music is nice and is always of a pretty good level. I'm afraid thats where the gleaming report ends. As ive said i have been coming here years, i have seen staff come and go, managers come and go. Nowadays, the George is slipping, yes they have had a refurb but my goodness you would never know it. The level of service is deteriorating, and rudeness has crept in with the staff. Its almost like they have forgotten they are there to serve us as paying customers. The "locals" have changed and not for the better. The George needs to be careful here, if levels of customer service fall, and I know it sounds awful but if the local clientelle becomes worse they will lose there hotel bookings and it will spiral from there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Simps656

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I only took over the George at the beginning of January, I am building back the team spirit and focusing on build the restaurant business so hope that in the forth coming months you will see a pleasant change. Thank you again for your comments. Jason Chappell General Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Booked with friends for New Year festivities at The George Hotel.Greeted with warmth & courtesy at reception and given advice on car parking,hotel services,meal times and full details of New Year arrangements.Staff always smiling and attentative nothing too much trouble.Room was spotlessly clean as was all areas of the hotel.Tea tray and cups always clean and items replenished as neccessary or required.the New Years' Eve buffet was superb including hot & cold items and served with real enthusiasm and charm.The entertainment too was first class.It was only by seeing the same staff on duty the following morning that I realised all was not well.
Apparently some staff had not appeared for the New Years' Eve festivities and left the staff in the lurch.This was not noticed at the event because the staff that were there all pulled in the same direction,an effort that I hope will be appreciated by the hierachy at Greene King.Mention must be made of the effort Kris put in but he marshalled a magnificent team to make sure our stay was all it was meant to be.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a great view of the courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I have been told on many occasions that the News Year party was very good. I am glad to hear you agree. The team at the George worked very hard to make sure you had a good night. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 December 2013

As I live abroad I had a need to travel back to the UK for ten days to visit family and friends over the Xmas period and booked myself in to the George Hotel at short notice.

Having lived in the local area for a few years I have often visited this Hotel for food and drink and have always found it a welcoming place to go.

The Bar Manager is always friendly and greets you with a smile whatever time of day you go.

When I checked in the lady on reception was relatively short with me and when I asked if there was someone available to take my bags to my room she looked at me as though I had two heads.

The room was very basic but it was what I asked for, very quiet and well ventilated. Let to my own devices all day when suffering from the worst hangover known to man and always very quick with room service.

If I have to stay again I will, I liked the place before and I still like it now. All the staff are friendly (apart from reception lady) and they even tended the bar for me when I came stumbling in at 6am asking for more alcohol.

Food is average here but portion sizes are ample.

Lovely.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

It is good to hear that you had a good stay with us at the George, well other than the hang over. I was sorry to here that one of the team let us down with their attitude. Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online and hope to see you when you are next in the country

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I normally stay in the usual chain hotels and it was nice to be staying somewhere with some character. The George is an old coaching in with all the creaky floorboards and winding corridors you would expect. My room was warm, clean and comfortable with exposed timber beams although the sloping floor could be a little disconcerting. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty.

I didn't eat in the restaurant as the Christmas party season was in full swing and it was full. I was going to eat in the bar but the overpowering smell of B.O. from a fellow customer drove me out so I cannot comment on the evening meals.

The hotel enjoys a prime spot in the middle of town with free parking but this makes the bar very busy as it is used by the locals. All in all a refreshing change and a hotel In would use again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for putting your comments online. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I totally agree that the slopping rooms can be disconcerting especially after a couple of drinks. We do hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
The Old Bridge
#8 of 9 in Huntingdon
The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel
#2 of 2 in Buckden

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!