“Skipton The Town house”
Review of The Town House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skipton
The Town House
Ranked #20 of 33 Skipton B&B and Inns
“Skipton The Town house”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Who ever wrote a good review for this place must live in a parallel universe!! Certainly not good value at 100€ a night for a pokey room with no shower. Situated in ,what can only be described as an industrial parking lot.breakfast served 7-9 on the weekend was the worst yet, certainly no reason to get up so early for on the Sunday . Reading previous reviews he hasn't learned any lessons , his horrendous cheap & anaemic sausages to his snot like fried eggs and well , the mushrooms!! How can he get it so wrong?? Burnt cheap bread toast .. You know the really cheap cheap paper like bread..
All in all an awful experience .

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Stacey M
Mick C, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Obviously it must be this reviewer who lives in a parallel universe and there was me thinking ROI was a nice place. 100€ sounds like a lot for one night, which is probably why we don’t charge that much. The rate for one of our double rooms is £70.00 including breakfast or £80.00 through a third party agent, (in order to cover their commission charges), which is what these particular guests chose to do.
This lady described the room as pokey, but most guests seem delighted with its size which is comfortably adequate to accommodate the double bed and furniture. The room doesn’t have a shower in the en-suite, which is why we clearly state the same on our website. It does however have a wonderful modern invention called a bath, which many choose in preference to a shower. Where possible we give people the choice between the two.
There is private car parking at the rear which is shared with a car garage and one of the local shop businesses.
The breakfast is normally one of the features guests comment very positively about. The comments in this review are quite baffling. The “Cheap, cheap paper” was either Kingsmill or Hovis as these were the two bread types used over the weekend I question. Perhaps I should complain to their Quality Control Officer; although nobody has ever raised such a concern before.
It’s very easy to say these things but I am able to back it up and prove my point by the great comments written by some of our wonderful visitors in the guest book showing the latest comments from very satisfied guests at and around the same time as the above complaint.
We take pride in our service and find such comments hurtful, but more concerning, fear they may influence potential future visitors. It amazes me that people can be all smiles and pleasantries to your face and then snipe at you like this from the comfort and safety of their own home. They are in the extremely small minority, probably in the region of 0.01% of guests I sincerely hope never to see again. Most guests, 99.99% are more than welcome to return at any time. Fortunately I feel pretty certain they will never darken our doorstep again in view of the above.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cumbria
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Ideally situated in the town centre the Town House B&B ticks all the boxes for a good value short stay. We were allocated the ground floor room right by the main entrance and my initial concern that if may be noisy was totally unfounded. The room was clean and comfortable and we both had a wonderful nights sleep. The bathroom was clean with a simple to use shower and plenty of hot water. There was a decent cooked breakfast with plenty of choice and good hospitality. In my view the only area that needed a bit of tlc was the exterior. It would look more welcoming with a lick of paint and replacement hanging baskets containing living plants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here on the 6-8th August with my husband.
We found the premises easily enough and spoke to owner who said we were more than welcome to park there but the room wasn't ready yet (we were supposed to book in at 4pm but we arrived about 12.15pm) and to give him an hour, this was really nice of him as we didn't expect it.
Town centre is 30 second walk.
We went back a few hours later, we shown to our room which was room 5, room was immaculate, hairdryer in room, extra chairs, make up mirror and even sky tv, the only down fall for me was that the bedding had not been pressed which i would of liked it to be but again this is personal preference.
Breakfast was lovely and cold not be faulted.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 5 which was a loft type room so no good for really tall people.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Malcolm C, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
While we can never guarantee that rooms will be ready earlier than expected, we are happy to accommodate wherever possible, It's good to hear that everything was in order. As for pressing the bed linen, this is just not possible with the sheer volume of work involved in running the business on a daily basis as we do all the laundry in-house to ensure quality of service and control.
warsop, mansfield,notts
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having travelled to Skipton from Mansfield area we found the hotel was hard to find. The Hotel is in a central position though opposite the bus station but up a side street. Once you are near the hotel there is a large sign on the wall for the hotel.
Mike the owner was most pleasant and helpful. Our room, a twin, was room1 on the ground floor very spacious with on-suite and a separate shower room also with a sink.Tea / Coffee making facilities are in the room and plenty of storage for clothes. The beds where very comfy.
The large breakfasts are cooked fresh with ample supply of toast and tea /coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank brianbradley3141
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My mother and I stayed here for one night as she was attending a craft class in Skipton and I was joining her so we could do some exploring the day after.

Things that were good: I found the beds were ridiculous comfy, the room was basic but clean, great location (centre of town but no nice views or anything), the owner seemed friendly and helpful when he showed us our room which was nice.

Things that were bad: the bathroom was ok but there were bits of paint missing and the shower cubicle had orange mould all in between the tiles. The shower itself was also bad as it was very weak and was difficult to find a comfortable temperature as it was either scoulding hot or cold. It was also impossible to move the shower head up or down so it was stuck at the highest level. It was hard for me to get to sleep as we were on the ground floor and until probably about 1am people were constantly walking up and down stairs and talking, this was a Saturday night however.

The breakfast was alright, no more or less than what I expected, a basic full english that anyone could've made but much better than just cereal or yoghurt. The following reason is why I have decided to leave the b&b an average review and was tempted to leave a poor one. I didn't eat much of my breakfast as I was feeling slightly ill and had lost my appetite. A few seconds after my plate had been taken through to the kitchen, I heard the owner, who was preparing breakfast and washing up, sigh loudly and start scraping a plate which I suspect was mine. I then heard his granddaughter who was maybe about 9 or 10 (and who had been helping take tea and coffee orders) loudly say, 'why did they even bother?', to which the owner replied, 'just go and see if they want anything else', she then came out and asked if we wanted anything else, which is how I know the comments were probably made about me.

Not great to moan about your own paying customers when they're only in the next room really, is it? Especially as my mother paid £80 for the night which seems pretty expensive for what we got.
My mother was also disappointed when she overheard the owner complaining about the woman who runs the crafting class my mum went to that day. Apparently, he also made some negative comment about some Canadians, who stayed in the b&b because they were going to that class, along the lines of, 'why can't they knit in their own country?' I don't understand why you would complain about people who are making you money, that seems really stupid.

Overall, all was ok and as expected, very average, apart from negative comments made by the owner about his customers. Wouldn't stay again because of this reason.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Vobro
Malcolm C, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
this reviewer has left me bemused to say the least. I would like to put some of her comments into perspective. First of all neither I nor anyone else who works here moan about guests in front of them or behind their backs.

When her mother overheard HALF of what I believed to be a PRIVATE telephone conversation with my brother, I relayed what I had said to the faces of my paying guests. In September of last year we had a group of ladies stay with is who were visiting the first "Yarndale" event to be held in Skipton which was very popular and as a result is back again this autumn.

One of the ladies, Oukje loved it so much at our B & B that she came back in March with her husband and two children, staying with us for a further three nights. My granddaughter that the reviewer alluded to played with her children and they all got along so well, that she now wants to visit them in Holland.

Oukje explained all about the Yarndale experience and told us about the different fabrics etc. which were on display and for sale. I stated that "Although I am sure wool is very exciting, I cannot imagine flying in from Holland for 2 nights to go and look at a few balls of it and pay £25.00 a time for it! She advised me that her group had met with some Canadians who had also flown in for the event. to which I JOKINGLY replied, "Why don't they have sheep in Canada?" and we all had a good laugh about it. I think perhaps joviality and good spirits bypassed some of the residents of our capital city! In my telephone conversation with my brother which as stated, I thought to be PRIVATE, I relayed the bones of our conversation.

To the point about the price, I agree £80.00 is a lot to pay for one night and as I repeatedly point out to our customers, they only ever pay that much if they use a third party booking platform as those companies charge us a minimum 15% commission on the price of a booking. Therefore as a small independent business we have no choice but to pass the extra cost on to the customer. If they book direct it is noticeably cheaper.

Whatever this lady thinks she may have heard in the kitchen or elsewhere she is either mistaken or again has misconstrued the meaning as we never complain about guests who do not completely finish their breakfast. That at the end of the day is their choice.

The vast majority of reviews on here and the number of returning guests we are fortunate enough to cater for bear credence to this and our efforts to ensure complete customer satisfaction wherever possible. I am making nu assumptions about this lady or her mother, though she seems to have made plenty about me and my business. It's a shame as to all intents and purposes she seemed to have enjoyed her visit which is always my goal.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent 2 days in Skipton and I am glad I chose Town House b&b as my accomodation. I found the place very clean, quiet but central...perfect. Mick was fantastic, very professional and friendly. If one day I went back to Skipton, Town House would be the only place where I'd stay!!
ps the cherry on the cake was the skylight in the bathroom...perfect to relax while having a bath.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Malcolm C, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hi Marco

Thanks for the glowing review, it was very much appreciated. Good luck with the dissertation and job hunting. The TDF was a great success, but you probably know that by now anyway as it's been all over the news for days. I think my assessment of the impact was correct as we've seen a definite increase in interest and bookings. It certainly seems to have showcased Yorkshire in a glowing light!
Leeds
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were a family of four, making it sometimes hard to use B&Bs without taking two rooms. At the Town House, though, we were given one in the converted attic that gave us just enough space, and so saved us quite a bit of money. Also, the owner stayed up until after midnight to let us in, although he had to get up again at 6.30 to cook breakfast. (I mention this to show how helpful he was, not to encourage other guests to arrive late.) Talking of breakfast, we had the "full English" and it was very tasty and filling.

Our room appeared to have no air conditioning, but there was a skylight providing adequate ventilation. The internet in the room worked well, and there was a TV (which we didn't actually use). The bathroom was certainly big enough, with a full length bath as well as a shower. As I say, the room was in the attic and so needed us to climb some narrow stairs.

We were right in the centre of Skipton, yet not troubled by traffic noise. Having travelled quite some distance to reach the area, we appreciated being able to walk around this agreeable town, without needing to get back in the car as we would if we'd been further out. That said, Skipton is a great centre for exploring the Yorkshire Dales and Moors: we went to Malham and Haworth, both of which are nearby.

I'd certainly stay in the Town House again, if I were lucky enough to have the chance to return to this delightful part of the country.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Malcolm C, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
At Town House we always do our best to be accommodating and it's nice to hear it's appreciated, so thanks very much for that. As you say, we don't wish to make a habit of being up late to let guests in, but in this particular case there were unavoidable delays, so it was an exception rather than the rule. It's good to hear you enjoyed your stay and like so many of our great guests past, present and future, you are welcome back at any time!