“Excellent”

Craven Heifer Inn
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2011

My wife and I stayed for a week whilst on a course. The food was excellent for all 7 evening meals that we had and we ate something different every night. All the staff were polite and welcoming. We did have to wait for the food to be served some nights but only on the busy nights, which is only to be expected. Personally I would sooner wait for for good food after all there is always McDonalds if you want fast food. The fact that it gets so busy shows that the food is good. We had the option to eat elsewhere but the food was so good we ate here every night.

There are newer reviews for Craven Heifer Inn

Reviewed 31 May 2011

I used to go here when I lived in Skipton many moons ago. My partner wanted to visit because she went there as a child. So we thought we would go and reminisce a bit. Went in at 5pm on a Sunday. The pub was not overly busy. Walked into the bar. The lady serving behind the bar shouted out "Can I help you!" We replied that we were just looking for somewhere to sit and then get a drink. Her charming reply was "OK, just find a seat, but if somebody comes in wanting to eat you will have to move!"

Now, put me straight if you like. Is this a pub where you can nip in for a drink or not? We would have liked to sit with a couple of drinks and then maybe order some food if the mood took us. Not be told that we may be asked to move or leave if the pub got too busy. The place was not busy and stunk of a cafe anyway. Not the cosy country pub we both used to know and love. What a shame. I don't think you will be surprised to know that we simply left. I think the owners should learn some manners and etiquette. They lost a potential £50 there!!!

10  Thank PeteBFC
johndSkipton, Owner at Craven Heifer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

I can't really see the point of writing a review when you don't actually eat here. All; Sundays are exceptionally busy and we take bookings at 12,2,4 & 6. Whilst it may look quiet at 5pm I can assure you it wasn't at 6pm when every table was full. You only need to look at the other reviews on our Sunday Carvery to see what you missed!

I am sorry if you feel that it was unfair to mention that we might need the table for people eating but we are successful business at the end of the day and try to be fair to all our customers.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We've been to the Craven Heifer many times, the Sunday Lunch Carvery is always good, fresh and reliable. It's well priced and you know what you're going to get! Puddings are all home-made (I was assured on Sunday!) and thankfully children are very well accommodated with plenty of highchairs available.

The specials board in the main restaurant (not the carvery room) always have plenty of choice listed, and the place is always busy which I take as a good sign! We've always enjoyed our food, the service is fine and the fact that it has a huge car park is a bonus too!

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I booked for a party of 50 people from our Church Social Club, Middleton St. Marys in Leeds, at The Craven Heifer on 2nd May, May Day Monday. Then I read some of the reviews on here and began to wonder if I`d done the right thing. So four of us formed an "advance" party the week before, just to try the food. Superb! A wonderful chicken curry was enjoyed by all. Before we left, I made myself known to the owners, who turned out to be very friendly people, and mentioned that they were looking forward to seeing all our party on May Day Monday.
This was our first stop, on May Day Monday, in the morning for tea/coffee & biscuits, rang ahead so as everything would be ready, and it was. The price was a very reasonable
£2-25 per person, with refills. Excellent value for money
After a day in the Dales, shopping, walking & sightseeing we left Grassington by coach at 4-30p.m. Again, rang ahead to tell the staff of our imminent arrival. As we walked in everything was ready, I booked the main course carvery at £8-95 for all our diners, at the time of booking. I was advised to book only the main course as it was a well stocked carvery. How true that was! The food was piping hot, delicious and full of flavour. In fact, many diners commented that it was one of the best carveries they had ever had.
Some did manage a dessert, and again commented on how good they were.
The staff and the owners were really helpful and very friendly. It was so good, we have already booked for May Day Monday in 2012. But, more to the point, I have not received one complaint, grumble or otherwise from any of our diners. This, I assure you, when dealng with 50 people in a party is unusual, as some-one normally has a least a minor gripe about something.
Do try the Craven Heifer, it is well worth it, forget about any complaints from earlier posts, it`s a brilliant friendly place that I and 49 other diners can`t fault!

Reviewed 15 May 2011

The best chicken wensleydales!! Will return time and time again. Wonderful