“Lovely Pub Grub”

The Bull At Broughton
Ranked #9 of 150 Restaurants in Skipton
Price range: US$13 - US$24
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Bull at Broughton has long been one of Yorkshire's landmark pubs...famous as much for its hospitality as it is for its beautiful location. We harvest the finest, freshest seasonal ingredients from the pick of local artisan suppliers, and create a menu inspired by tradition but influenced by contemporary twists. Menus are inspired by Nigel Haworth using only the freshest ingredients harvested by our local food heroes. Enjoy regional Cask Ales and an award winning wine list specially chosen by leading wine expert, Craig Bancroft. The Bull is full of atmosphere, character and charm, but above all its relaxing, with al fresco dining in the summer and crackling log fires in the winter.
“Lovely Pub Grub”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Having visited all the outlets in the Northcote group, my boyfriend and I agree that the Bull is our favourite. We have visited on two occasions for lunch and both times we have been greeted by friendly and competent staff. Service is very important to me, and a smile goes a very long way. The food is of good quality and there is plenty of choice to suit everyone. We will definitely return.

GM_RVI, General Manager at The Bull At Broughton, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your visit to The Bull and leaving such lovely comments.

We pride ourselves on our service and are pleased to know you enjoy visiting us.

Myself and the team here at The Bull very much look forward to you returning soon.

Llanfaethlu, United Kingdom
“Pleasant lunch”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Found the pub through the Good Pub Guide. The girls had the fish platter, which was excellent, especially the shrimps, and I went for the fish and chips, which was very good. The beer paddle (selection of three one third pint ales) was a great idea. Service was good, too.

Visited March 2014
Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Bull.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your food and were well looked after. I agree that the beer paddle is a great way of trying our different local ales, so I'm glad you liked it.

Blackpool
“Almost....”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Visited on Saturday night, not expecting to get a table but luckily we did. We opted for pork croquettes ith rhubarb chutney which came beautifully presented and were really tasty but a touch greasy. Unfotunately our main course order got overlooked, and we had a long wait for mains (just under an hour). We spoke to our lovely waiter Aaron, who immediately sorted out the problem, located our mains, and offered comp drinks without hesitation. It was his swift and professional attitude that redeemed the meal! The main courses were ok, my flat iron steak was tasty but I wouldnt have it again, chips were very good it has to be said. Couldn't manage puds, and to be honest it was that noisy at this point due to a large party on the table next to us, we went without them and skipped coffee too, which we would have had had it been quieter. I presume it was the manager that also came over to apologise for the delay, and we appreciated that gesture, they seeme to be genuinely sorry they had forgotten us. I dont mind having a problem as long as its dealt with the right attitude, and these guys ha it. Thank you, we will be back.

Visited May 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to The Bull.

I'm very happy to hear that you were well looked after by Aaron and I will pass your comments on to him personally. I am however sorry for the delay with your main courses, and hope this does not put you off visiting us again sometime soon.

If, in the future, you wish to have a particular table then this can be arranged for you when booking, as I can only apologise for being placed next to a larger party.

w yorks
“Knock out trifle but overall not bowled over.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was our third visit to the Bull at Broughton in recent years. We arrived for Saturday lunch. Outside was sunny (pleasant beer garden back on to pretty hillside) but the decor inside lends itself more to cosy winter days. Without a log fire burning away, the stone floored dimly lit bar feels a little soulless. The restaurant was fairly quiet so we were seated quickly and asked for our drinks orders. In addition to the standard menu, there was a celebration of asparagus menu.

We decided upon the flat iron steak (with onion rings, watercress, mushroom and chips cooked in dripping), the medium fish and chips with peas (which we requested to be served with the skin off) and the fish pie.

We were advised that the fish pie would take up to 25 minutes to cook from fresh which we were fine with. The waitress suggested we might like to choose some nibbles whilst we were waiting. We opted for the bread and dip. Our mains arrived around thirty minutes later (the bread never having been brought to us).

My sons said the fish and chips and fish pie were very nice. The fish looked lovely and flaky and the fish pie looked to have plenty of salmon and prawns in it. The steak was ok (I had requested rare and it was served rare to medium rare) but heavily over-salted for my taste. The green peppercorn sauce I had ordered to accompany it was different to what one would usually expect. In fact, due to the thin red consistency and lack of peppercorns, I thought perhaps I had been given the red wine sauce instead. The server explained that the peppercorn sauce didn't have cream or whole peppercorns in. The mushroom that came with the steak was a little miserly and again very salty. The chips were nicely flavoured from the dripping.

For pudding we ordered the chocolate cake with chocolate fudge ice-cream and the sherry trifle (from the special menu). The chocolate cake was very dark and rich with the texture of a ganache. My sons found it too heavy but would appeal to a real dark chocolate lovers palate. The sherry trifle was outstanding with a deliciously sherry and amaretto soaked fruit topped lovely light cream and custard layer.

The English Garden cocktail was also very pleasant.

The meal overall was nice enough but I have eaten better for the same price.

Our bill came to £74 for the three of us (including 2 cokes, half a golden pippin and two teas).

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank summerdays12
Thank you for your comments following your visit to The Bull.

We're sorry to read that your dining experience wasn't up to our normal high standard. We always aim to provide our customers with first class food and service; we are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I have passed on your comments about the food to our chef for him to take on board. I would also like to apologise for the bread not being delivered to your table and the confusion with your sauce.

We hope this does not prevent you from returning to The Bull sometime in the future.

Standish, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Visited with a friend late afternoon and only lunchtime menu was available.The service was fine and the food okay.Large fish and chips but why do some restaurants insist on serving the battered fish with skin on.It isn't really pleasant to eat that way.
The place itself was cold and could do with some TLC.Marks on wall and surprisingly shabby and grubby furniture.
Certainly not up to the standard of The Highwayman in Kirby Lonsdale.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Steve M
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on your visit to The Bull.

I apologise about the fish and chips with the skin, this is our chef's personal preference but we can skin the fish on request for future reference.

I appreciate your comments about marks on the wall and furniture, these are things we are continually trying to improve on.

Myself and the team at The Bull very much look forward to seeing you again soon.