“Very busy but good fun”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
North Yorkshire
“Very busy but good fun”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Took the children (7 and 9) for an ice cream and a play this afternoon. We all loved the ice cream - definitely try the Key Lime Pie flavour; it's amazing! Kids quite enjoyed the play barn though it was very busy (not surprisingly it being the school hols) and so they struggled to get much of a go on the rope swinging. Left quite happy but totally covered in straw, even inside their socks which they'd kept on the whole time! A very prickly experience! Will definitely return for the ice cream but might not bother with the barn next time. Youngest enjoyed the free playground just as much anyway!

1 Thank teachernorthyorks

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fun half day out with restrictions for families.”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We visited the parlour on a week day during the school six week holidays. We were one adult and three children.

Having been advised on other reviews that bringing your own food and drink inside the grounds is not permitted, we ate our picnic lunch before going in. I stopped at a lay by on the A59 and we ate there.

On entry to the site, there are signs telling you that eating and drinking of your own foods is not permitted even down to fruit shoots for children and bottled water. We were directed to the car park where I parked but I did notice that the carpark attendant who was quite young was checking new arrivals to make sure they were not eating in their cars. The site was quite busy with visitors.

Entry to the parlour area is free and there is a small playground outside. The parlour serves varied types of flavours of ice-cream and also contains an American themed restaurant. We didn't eat at the restaurant though we did buy ice-cream and it was OK. Not the best Ice-cream I've ever bought but by no means the worst either. You can sit anywhere, there are no allotted tables. The restaurant food looked nice, well presented.

There is also two play barns outside, for which entry of £1 per child is required. One play barn is for under sevens, and the other is for older children. These are great fun and for younger children very secure as they can only get out via the entrance to the barn, there is no exit out through the rear. The floor of the barns and thereby the fall protection is scattered hay. The children's clothing gets covered in it.

Food can also be ordered and eaten at these barns, using a number on table system, though I questioned to myself the hygiene of eating in a barn where hay was floating in the air.

All in all a reasonable day, visit time was three hours. Make sure you obey the rule about your own food and drink purchases.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank ChristopherHarrington
Whitby, United Kingdom
“So glad we came”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

After reading some of the reviews about Billy Bob's I was in two minds whether to go. I am so glad I ignored them. I visited here with my 8 year old son and elderly mother. We arrived at about 10 and went straight for something to eat as I had read how busy it got. There was a lovely choice and not bad prices. The staff were very polite and helpful. As soon as you finished they cleared your plates etc away which is good as sometimes you dont want to sit with your empty plates on your table. As soon as someone left they cleaned the tables thoroughly for the next people. All staff were very busy making sure everybody was ok with everything. Afterwards, we went out and sat at a table outside while my son played in the wooden adventure park. We then went over to the play barn which was £1 for 2 hours. He was in there for ages. It is split into two parts,one part for under 7's and the other for over 7's. There were some children who were definitely under 7 but still in the older part, but there are signs everywhere saying that it is up to the responsibility of the parent to make sure there child is ok. Also, I can understand why Billy Bob's don't want you taking your own food or drink as you wouldn't take them to a restaurant. If you want a picnic go to Bolton Abbey which is 5 mins away. After a couple of hours we decided to try the ice creams. We were totally spoilt for choice. I had the blueberry cheesecake and my son had the cinder toffee one. Absolutely delicious. All in all I cannot fault this place. If you go later in the day prepare yourself for a wait for the diner but going early we were straight in and served within 10 minutes. A very happy day out for us all and will definitely go again.

• Visited August 2014
YDIC, Manager at Billy-Bob's Parlour, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thanks for your review Lynneem1, we're so glad that you decided to come along and see for yourself what Billy-Bob's is all about. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time here, both the food and the play, and thank you for your feedback about the team - they'll be really pleased to hear your kind words. It's a good tip about Bolton Abbey - there really is something for everyone in this area - whether a picnic and a day out at Bolton Abbey, a farm experience at Hesketh Farm, or a meal and a play at Billy-Bob's!
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great day out!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic day out! My top tip would be to make sure you check the waiting time at the diner and then plan round that. We arrived at 1130 went and checked and was told it was an hour they take your mobile no and ring you when it's ready. We then went to the indoor barn where my 5 &7 yr old had a great time! Bring a jacket though as it's an open barn.
We then had some food which was really really tasty , the South Carolina chicken was so light and tasty. Really good value don't order sides unless you are very hungry ! Time for ice cream then and again great choice and tasted how ice cream should!
Out to play in the outdoor play area which again was brilliant.
Everywhere was spotlessly clean including the loos, the staff were incredibly helpful I cannot recommend it enough.
Yes you can't take your own food or drinks but when you are visiting somewhere as good as this make it a day out and enjoy the whole experience

Hello nicky c! Thanks so much for your review - we're delighted to hear you enjoyed the Carolina Chicken, ice cream, service and play here so much, it really makes our day to hear that. We agree that especially at busy weekend or school holiday lunchtimes it's a good idea to come straight inside when you arrive to get your name down for a table, or to arrive allowing some time for the kids to play before you want to sit down and eat. Also, we're open from 9am for breakfast and last orders aren't until 6pm, so there's lots of quieter times of day to come and enjoy Billy-Bob's too. We hope to see you again soon, and thanks again for taking the time to write your review!
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
“Great food and quick service!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I went to Billy-Bob's parlour recently with my family. We have been about three times before and were drawn in initially by the brilliant reviews. The service has been really quick all the times we have been as there is always lots of staff. We have found the food to be very filing, for example when ordering mains you only need to share sides like two portions of chips will easily feed a family of four with two hungry teens! They offer a good variety of meals at reasonable prices. The theming is really cool, with there American school bus being both different and providing more space for people to eat inside.
This place is obviously not targeted at being formal and is aimed at being an experience. It can be quite loud at times, but it's not too bad. It 's usually pretty busy especially as they have very limited seating inside but they have a well managed seating system where they call you on your mobile once your table is ready, meanwhile for £1 each your 'younger' ones can go in the play barn-this occupied our teens for over an hour.

• Visited August 2014