“Still excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 147 Restaurants in Skipton
Price range: US$10 - US$27
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The restaurant is founded in 2011. It is new to this town but Thai restaurants are not new to our experiences. We are a group of people who are passionate about food and have an overwhelming desire to create our own family restaurant where we can cook a good quality of food in a good atmosphere. We started our dream by renting a restaurant in Shipley, and then stepped forward to found our own restaurant in Skipton, the small historic market town in North Yorkshire with beautiful scenery, this makes it a perfect place for us.---Our Promises--- We promise to prepare and cook every dish with pride, using the finest ingredients and vegetables sourced locally, to create not only delicious but also healthy food for our customers.The tasty food is cooked by a chef of vast experience who worked for many years in a 5-star hotel in Thailand and in Thai restaurants in the UK. Not only do we aim to make tasty food we also strive to provide a friendly and excellent service in a smart and intimate dinning atmosphere.Our high standards of cleanliness are proven by achieving a5-star rating in Food Hygiene. We also have an excellent reputation given by our customers on Trip Advisor which ranks us amongst the top restaurants in Skipton. You can trust us to ensure that you will spend a wonderful time here, and you will want to come back again and again.
Yorkshire Dales
“Still excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We returned to the Thai Basil with two 'foodies' to see if they thought the restaurant was as good as we previously experienced. They agreed with us that the meal and service were first class. the food is delicious and the atmosphere delightful. How lovely we have this place in skipton.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank LostInTheHillsMouse

telford
“authentic thai cusine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

i visited thai basil over christmas with my family and was really impressed
inside is surprisingly nice as from the outside it looks like your average terrace house
the staff were friendly and helpful
the menu was varied - we picked a few dishes from the specials and they were all very nice so i would recommend those dishes over the normal menu
the food was really tasty and reasonably priced
my only negative comment would be that of the 5 main courses we ordered 3 were wrong - the dish was right but the meat was wrong i.e. salmon instead of sea bass - they corrected the order and everything was lovely

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank iceland_poppy
“One word SUPERB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Absolutely outstanding, the staff were lovely and the food was absolutely amazing!!

2 Thank nic1803
Lancashire
“Authentic Thai food in a cosy setting with great service and good prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I found this new Thai restaurant on Trip Advisor and being a lover of Thai food could not resist a visit. Four of us booked a table for Friday night and we found the place quite easily, although the website is not fully functional at the time of writing and there is some issue over the correct postcode.

The restaurant is located in a converted large Victorian terrace and has previously been a Greek restaurant. The layout is brasserie style, but not too cramped.

On arrival we were please to see the place was almost full, always a good sign and we were welcomed in and offered drinks at the table, as there is no lounge.

Another reviewer said that prices were too high, but we all thought that the food and all drinks were very reasonable and we chose a bottle of Chardonnay at £13.95 which was very acceptable and enjoyed Singha Beer. Service was very friendly with our questions being answered knowledgeably with a smile and good advise given on food choices.

The starters were all wonderful and we swapped plates to enjoy a selection of each, BBQ spare ribs were declared the finest, but all were good. Nothing too spicy at this stage.

Main courses are marked with red chilli icons to denote heat, with 3 chillies being hottest and we ordered a selection of 1, 2 and 3 chilli mains, with duck, beef, chicken and sea bass. None were too spicy for us although the difference between 2 and 3 chilli only becoming apparent after a few minutes, so I'd stick to 1 or 2 if spice is not your thing. We ordered egg fried rice and egg noodles as an accompaniment.

All the food were obviously home made and each very different, with individual sauces and garnishes for each. We shared a little of each others food and I could have eaten any of them, so deep was the flavor and well balanced in spice and acidity, wonderful!

I particularly enjoyed the steamed Sea Bass (1 chilli), fresh tasting and finished with lime juice. It was refreshing and delicately spiced. Though I would recommend sharing with someone else or enjoy as an intermediate course, if you prefer a spicy curry, or are greedy, like me.

Another pleasant surprise was the intricately carved vegetable garnishes on both starters and main courses, beautiful, very attractive and mostly edible.

Sweets were only taken by two of us, as we were full, but the orange and mango ice cream and bananas in coconut milk (hot) were wolfed down.

Total bill for all the food, a bottle of wine and 5 bottles of Singha beer was £111.00, which we though very good value.

All in all a superb Thai dinner with fantastic food, good efficient service and friendly staff. We'll be back. Soon!

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank DashDave
Skipton, United Kingdom
“It's a hidden gem you have to find in Skipton - and I'm the Town Manager!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

I wanted to start writing reviews about restaurants in Skipton when I decided after trying them all, most were good quality and others were excellent. So here goes, my first review.

I am the Skipton Town Manager and do see myself somewhat as a bit of a foodie. I also take no notice of what people write on these trip advisors myself...but here's hoping some people do read and take in my views - and they are exactly that...my views and not that of the Town Council where I work.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand...the Thai Basil restaurant.

This restaurant is located a very short walk from the centre of Skipton, just past the famous Bizzie Lizzies Fish & Chip restaurant. If you have come to B&M's and Morrissons, you have walked too far!

It has lovely decor which is in keeping with the lovely Thai Family that run it and their heritage.

The food is amazing and I have been back many times since it opened just a few months ago. It's well worth a visit.

I would chose the mixed starter, so that you get chance to try a bit of everything and then I am partial to a good Red Curry - so this tends to be a first choice of mine, and it doesn't disappoint.

Prices are reasonable - expect to pay around £10 for a main. After a starter for two, two beers, a bottle of red, two mains with rice and two desserts the total bill was just over £60. Some would say on the expensive side, but the food is so nice.

Try it once...see for yourself.

• Visited December 2011