“Disappointed”

The Rafters Cafe & Bistro
Price range: US$16 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Rafters has takes pride in serving delicious home made food to both visitors and locals, and providing excellent service. During the day, The Rafters Café serves traditional, home-made food. In the evening, The Rafters Bistro serves modern British, seasonal cuisine, with a selection of fine wines. The romantic, first floor bistro enjoys view over the canal and is situated in Skipton’s oldest, medieval quarter.
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband and I stopped in at The Rafters on our way to Stoneyhurst. We only had 45 minutes and it wasn't busy plus we wanted wine but not pub food. I enjoyed an average tuna sandwich but my husband ordered the ploughmans lunch with ham not cheese. He was told that there was no granary bread and it would just be a roll. He thought that would be fine however what came was a tiny white roll that you can buy in any average supermarket for about 7-10p each. I cannot remember the cost of the plouhgmans but it wasn't cheap. He pointed out the tiny roll to the waitress who brought him a second one, still woefully inadequate. The only redeeming feature was the very nice ham. However we were disinclined to order a dessert. We live out of the area but would notrecommend this overpriced cafe/bistro

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My wife and I were on a two day 'check out Skipton' visit.
We visited Rafters after walking along the canal tow path.
Service was friendly and efficient. We just wanted to have a sit down and cup of coffee so cannot comment on the food. We just had white coffee, don't believe in paying through the nose for the cappyfrappymochswhatsit coffees.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Terrefic atmosphere and excellent friendly staff and owners.The food is first class and there is little chance of leaving feeling empty.Good value and the Sunday lunch just blows you away,cant praise Colin and his Chef enough.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

After reading all these positive reviews me and my friends have decided to give this place a go,
A relly nice sunny day so we took a seat outside. The waitress was pretty attentive and came to see us almost immediatly.
We have ordered our drinks and asked to see the menu, when she informed us that was on the table. It consisted of a couple of salads, toasties, ...etc! Strange for a Bistro!!!, dont you think?, bearing in mind we had 1 menu to share between the three of us!!
So we have asked if there is an other menu, then she brought that to us (only 1 again) which consisted of 2 strarters and 3main corses!
We were struggling to decide what we actually fancied, and thats not because of the good choice on the menu!
At that point the waitress came back to take our order, we told her we will give it a miss and asked what time does the place open till
She has said only lunch, because they are not busy enough for night time service. Which again just makes me wonder how some of theese reviewers saw 'the saturday night buzz'
Im sorry for keep going on, but this place has the number 2 spot out of 70 restaurants in skipton & area, And let me tell you....It does NOT deserve it!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Andrea P
TheRaftersSkipton, Owner at The Rafters Cafe & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

We are sorry to hear you were not happy with the 1 menu provided for your party of 3, if you would have mentioned you would like a menu each, we would have been more than happy to provide another 2 menus. (easily solved!)
You commented on our lunch-time menu which you or your party did not sample and only had drinks. It was a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. 2 course £10.95 or 3 course £13.95, which you would find is excellent value. Please remember a wide choice is not always a good choice, we pride ourselves on quality and not quantity, which is reflected in our other reviews.
You are correct we had to make a difficult decision and close the Bistro for the moment which is under review. We did not want to compromise the quality or standard of the food in these difficult times.
As mentioned in another of your reviews on tripadvisor, you are in the industry and should understand more than most that things need to be reviewed on a constant basis.
I feel your rating for something you haven’t sampled is harsh and maybe you should review your review!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Myself and my sister both thoroughly enjoyed our two course meal deal at Rafters, which was cheap at half the price for the taste, presentation and service.
All staff were informative and friendly and made us feel relaxed and comfortable.
The food arrived quite quickly, even with a party of 20 upstairs, and was hot and delicious. Puds were scrummy – only problem was I couldn’t eat it all.
I couldn’t recommend this Bistro more highly – the food was absolutely gorgeous.