“family gathering”

Bay Horse Inn
Ranked #45 of 151 Restaurants in Skipton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Bay Horse offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“family gathering”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The table was booked in advance. When shown to the table, the floor was covered in food and only half laid up. We had to ask for it to be cleaned . Service slow. food for some of our party was lukewarm. I'll never use this place again and don't recommend it to anyone .

1 Thank Val R

Silsden, United Kingdom
“Not Brilliant”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have been over to this pub a few times and all visits had been enjoyable but this time, not awfully good. We went for lunch on a lovely sunny day and sat outside for a change. I ordered Southern Fried Chicken and I think it was drowned in Chilli, so hot was it to taste it that it verged on inedible. For Dessert, we had an Eton Mess that truly was a mess. An Insipid, tasteless bowl of meringue with a single strawberry. They wanted over £5.00 for that and I should have sent it back. What has gone wrong here? Have they changed the chef or the staff or what. I don't think we will go back in too much of a hurry based on what we had.

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Canal Side Pub”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stopped for a very pleasant pub lunch at this pub alongside the Leeds Liverpool Canal. A wide range of good "Pub Grub" style food is available at very reasonable prices. Portions are generous and the quality of the food and service was good. The only small draw backs I would mention were the batter on the fish I had was too thick and was thus a bit soggy on the inside and the chips were over cooked. That aside a very good meal. A reasonable range of beers are available and there is plenty of external seating if you are lucky enough to get the sort of day we enjoyed.

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Lots of visits here... always good...”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We are always visiting Bay Horse either for Special Occasions we have never yet had a bad experience here.. we have always found the waitresses so friendly and there is always something on the menu to choose from... lovely to have somewhere near with such a wonderful setting

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank karen s
Sowerby Bridge
“Slow service and poor food”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We ate here on a Sunday evening. We had to wait quite few minutes before anyone acknowledged us and were then shown to a table. Drinks were ordered and arrived promptly then we ordered food. The food took a long time to arrive, more than 30 minutes and yet the pub was quiet. My husband had the chicken, leek and ham pie but when the usual flaky pastry lid was taken off there were 2 small pieces of chicken, no ham and some sauce. The pie dish was barely half full. I had the sunday platter which had 3 minute pieces of meat- beef, pork and turkey. The potatoes, parsnips and carrots looked and tasted as though they had been kept warm for a long time. There was also a pig in blanket and the bacon blanket was hard. Everything was swimming in gravy. My daughter chose just to have the pate and the dish was only half full with a thick layer of butter on top, 3 tiny pieces of toast and no salad garnish. Whilst we had waited for the meal my daughter went to the toilet and came back to say the ladies was dirty. We called the waitress over and told her that the toilets were unflushed and there was toilet paper not only on the floor in the cubicles but also on the floor outside. She went to the bar to report this and we saw her go into the toilets but we both went after the meal and they were just the same.
I asked to speak to the manager but he did not seem to be available so the young man behind the bar came and spoke to me. He apologised and assured me that the veg were not kept warm but I can assure you they were unless the chef has a very peculiar way of cooking them. He also told us the toilets were checked but as I pointed out, we had reported the toilets on our arrival and they were in the same state when we were leaving so no-one had done anything at all.
This place is overpriced for what you get and the quality is poor. The manager needs to take responsibility and ensure that the staff do their jobs properly.