“What a treat!!!”
Review of The Priest's House

The Priest's House
Ranked #36 of 153 Restaurants in Skipton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Priests House is a function venue specialising in weddings, medieval banquets and other family celebrations, together with being an occasional fine dining establishment especially catering for Sunday lunches. The Priests House is set on a grade 1 site in he shadow of the ruin of Barden Tower in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales. The house itself was originally built to be the chapel and accommodation supporting the 100 or so residents of the Tower. It is truly medieval building and retains many of the original features. The House itself can only dine up to 34, but for larger events we have two marquees which can be set up alongside. The views and scenery on all sides of the house are fabulous.
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Everything about this experience was excellent! The staff are friendly helpful and efficient. The food was delicious and good sized portions and locally sourced. A good choice of wines at reasonable prices! We can,t wait to go back!!!!

There are newer reviews for The Priest's House

Reviewed 17 March 2013

One of my favourite places, love the atmosphere and the staff are great. Always local produce on the menu and reasonable priced, good choice of wines. Absolutely fabulous setting used for a lot of weddings as a great place for photo 's etc. we will be back, would recommend to any one.

1  Thank Parosgirl1
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We came across the Priests House by accident while out at Bolton Abbey. Deciding to try somewhere new to eat we headed over towards Barden Tower where we came upon this wonderful restaurant (not sure where the previous reviewer had eaten) our experience was great.

The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. As it was a Sunday the Sunday Lunch menu was the only option but there was a whole host of specials to choose from. I had the salmon parcel to start - that was delightful. My wife had the baked Camembert cheese - equally as good.

For the main course my wife opted for roast turkey and as I am a greedy guts I opted to try a little bit of each meat (Turkey, beef and pork).

My wife was too full for desert so just had a coffee - I opted for the apple crumble!

The dining was not huge but not small and just right. The decor and atmosphere was jsut right with a separate bar area and real fires!

The price was a very good price at £13.95 for 2 courses or £16.95 for 3 courses. I think the restaurant is open Thurs - Sun.

They also cater for lots of weddings - so the standard has to bee good and it was! My wife has already picked this as our preferred venue for our daughter!!!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We came across The Priest's House by chance on a drive back from Appletreewick after a romantic walk out for Valentine's Day - we phoned on the off chance and managed to book a table due to a cancellation. The actual setting was idyllic, the building and interior had medieval charm in abundance but this wasn't enhanced by the 'generic' decor. On a positive note, the staff were warm and friendly and there were 2 fires burning (a small log fire in the reception area and a smouldering coal fire in the main dining room) but this did little to heat up the place - it was so chilly and we spent the whole time tensed up, hunched forward trying to keep warm however, another positive aspect was the attention to detail that had clearly been paid to the Valentine's decorations and romantic table lighting. The menu sounded very promising but we suspected, and it tasted like mass produced/bought in products were being used as substitutes for the more flashy components and at times, they were missing from the plates. A few examples for you - my partner ordered the 'Charred Venison Loin' which was dry, chewy and tasted overall like a standard beef roast from a carvery, this dish was further complemented by what I can only describe as Aunt Bessie's Frozen Roast Potatoes! I had a warm Pear & Almond Tart for dessert but it was more like a flat sponge cake with what tasted like a sticky reduction of fizzy apple lace sweets sold as a 'Chef's green apple coulis'. I had to ask for the accompaniment of the roasted figs, I noticed that these were also missing from the same dish ordered by a customer on a neighbouring table! We realised towards the end that the black peppered tangerines were missing form my partner's scallop starter and his pudding apparently included 'caramelised tuille curls' but this was clearly a tube wafer for ice-cream. As you can tell, we were really disappointed as it wasn't cheap and cheerful either at a cost of £29.95 a head. All I can say to the 'chef' is be honest about what you can do well, cook it, sell it and serve it to your customers without trying to impress with the high end chef terminology!

4  Thank TRAVELAPPLE77
Reviewed 13 December 2012

What a fantastic place, nestled in Abbey ruins, views across Bolton Abbey and surrounding area. We found it quite by accident, the food is beautiful and great value, everything from refreshments, light lunch / large lunch / traditional Sunday lunch and of course a varied evening menu - the proprietor Debbie and her staff are friendly, welcoming and accomodating. Home from home. You can eat, chill and relax in an intimate atmosphere steeped in medieval history, warm up against the real log fire in winter, or sit outside in the summer next to the old ruins, overlooking Bolton Abbey. What a gem. And for those who want something a little different they even do Weddings. Best to check out the website for opening times. This place is a must!!!

1  Thank liz2108