“Dog Friendly pub”

The Royal Shepherd
Ranked #38 of 151 Restaurants in Skipton
Price range: US$8 - US$9
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Frank & Sue would like to welcome you to The Royal Shepherd. The Royal Shepherd takes its name from King George III. He was aptly nicknamed the 'The Royal Shepherd' because of his passion for sheep breeding. He introduced many new breeds to the country, famously the Merino sheep from Spain. Unfortunately the King died insane, immortalised forever as 'the madness of King George'. The Royal Shepherd is the only pub with this name in the country!
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Dog Friendly pub”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Sat here now in this "Dog Friendly pub". Staff are friendly both to humans and dogs (Dog biscuits available).
Not eating today so can't rate on the food but will defo be back. Thanks and see you again soon x

• Visited April 2014

Grassington, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent Beef Sunday lunch, extra jug of gravy too. Spot on. . Tried the Theakston Lightfoot,.. Well I could have drunk that all afternoon....

1 Thank Issie H
Wimbledon, London
“Skipton Canalside”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A lovely warm welcome on a chilly day. Wonderful prawn sandwich in thick, brown bread with Marie Rose sauce on the side, as requested, and salad garnish. My friend had homemade lasagne which he thoroughly enjoyed. Superb Guinness, just the right temperature. We were reluctant to leave, but were on a day trip from our stay in Leeds and planned to visit the Castle, having 'done' the market before lunch (go on a market day, as this gives a buzz to this lovely little town). Thoroughly recommend this cosy pub.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank luxurylover28
“Management skills”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We visit Skipton alot but have only been in the pub once before. My husband and I started the evening at this pub. My husband ordered a pint and half of lager. I passed my husband a £20 note and he got change of £5.10. I told the manager it was a £20 note. He said it was £10. He said I will have to check the till. He did this and still came back with the answer I had given him a £10. I reiterated it was a £20.00 he said I will check again, so I said yes do. He came back with the same answer. The difficulty of this is that he was saying his float was correct and therefore I was mistaken. But I wasn't mistaken, I had got £40 from the train station cash machine in Leeds that day in two £20 notes back. My husband asked if they had CCTV to which he replied no. We were in stalemate. We just stood there in shock. There were three other people at the bar, who were vouching for this man. The fact of the matter is that I will never visit there again. We ended up leaving the pub not even having a drink and all this cost us £10. The management need to instill some CCTV as who is to say he is not being diddled by someone who works for him and genuine people like us end up footing the bill. Where do people stand when it's one person's word against another!!!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Janene H
John O, Owner at The Royal Shepherd, responded to this review, 27 September 2015
I have recently taken on the running of the Royal Shepherd. I am sorry to read of your bad experience. If you are passing again, please pop in and we will put things to right and will endeavour to make your visit a pleasant one.
“these guys deserve success”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Called in for a drink and snack. Superb atmosphere. The Licensees are doing a brilliant job, pulling this pub up from a terrible problem, ie the short term previous licensee, took it over from an amazing guy who had run The Royal Shepherd for many years as a very successful establishment but, sadly didn't in my opinion, come up to scratch. I believe this is the only pub called The Royal Shepherd in the UK. So please guys give these guys a chance, you won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2014