“wonderful, family friendly”

The Royal Shepherd
Ranked #30 of 161 Restaurants in Skipton
Price range: US$9 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Frank & Sue would like to welcome you to The Royal Shepherd. The Royal Shepherd takes its name from King George III. He was aptly nicknamed the 'The Royal Shepherd' because of his passion for sheep breeding. He introduced many new breeds to the country, famously the Merino sheep from Spain. Unfortunately the King died insane, immortalised forever as 'the madness of King George'. The Royal Shepherd is the only pub with this name in the country!
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We took our 10 year old Granddaughter to the Royal Shepherd for tea. Granddad and Granddaughter had the Shared Platter, I had chilli.
Comments from 10 yr old as follows:
"Could live off these wings"
"Barbecue sauce to die for"
"Thumbs up for the Goujons"
"Bestest chips ever"
She then went on to follow with triple flavoured ice-cream, while the oldies enjoyed a very good Gaelic coffee!
Granddad and Grannie thoroughly enjoyed too. Ben, Tash & Mandy looked after us extremely well. I think this will fast become our place in Skipton for tea out.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Looking for a dog friendly place to eat, we looked at the information we were given by Silsden Boats. The Royal Shepherd does not just say it's dog friendly, it welcomes the dog as part of the family, with a treat and a drink - very important part of our holiday, hence we returned on our way back down the canal. Oh yes, the humans were also very welcome, received good friendly service and good hearty food.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

While planning our Easter canal boat trip I was put in charge of our meal on the first night. Guessing we would be in Skipton by dinner time I researched various options and decided that the Royal Shepherd looked just the ticket as it was only a few minutes walk from mooring sites and can actually be seen from the canal. I called in advance to check that 8 tired boaters, 4 dogs and a 2-year old child would be welcome and Tasha and Mandy were more than happy to oblige. They offered to reserve the 'Snug' for our exclusive use which was a God send as little Oliver could spread his toys out and play as the dogs lolled about unhindered. We even had our own little hatch into the bar so didn't need to leave our seats even to order anything!

The food was traditional pub grub and very tasty, my portion of breaded garlic mushrooms was huge and my sherry trifle very alcoholic (Mandy did warn me that she'd 'slipped' with the sherry lol). I think all that my main (Ploughmans) was missing was some apple and pickles ... but with the huge side order of chips I had, I certainly didn't go hungry.

Lovely place and actually felt like personal guests of our hosts, will definitely call in again when next in the area.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Always quiet. Just the way a pub should be. Avoid on bank holidays when it's full of drunk students and Lancastrian boat people. Other tjan that a top pub.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Searched Skipton for something to eat and stumbled on this pub. Menu was good basic stuff and what a difference when you walk in and people say hello and are warm and friendly, filled our boots on chicken wings and fish and chips and a couple of pints for me - lovely ! My 11 year old said can we come back here again . Enough said