“Huge Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #36 of 149 Restaurants in Skipton
Price range: US$8 - US$9
Cuisines: Fast food, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Frank & Sue would like to welcome you to The Royal Shepherd. The Royal Shepherd takes its name from King George III. He was aptly nicknamed the 'The Royal Shepherd' because of his passion for sheep breeding. He introduced many new breeds to the country, famously the Merino sheep from Spain. Unfortunately the King died insane, immortalised forever as 'the madness of King George'. The Royal Shepherd is the only pub with this name in the country!
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Huge Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Called in last Sunday following a local recommendation. My daughter in law and I were not disappointed. Sat outside for our meal, ordered two Sunday lunches, beef and chicken. Just before our lunch, my granddaughter who is 3 months old decided to wake for her feed, we asked if they could keep one of the meals for us. Not a problem for this pub, so helpful and friendly and a refreshing change to find, well done The Royal Shepherd.

Lunch was simply huge, couldn't eat it all just because there was so much and tasty too. Felt guilty returning some food on the plate but just too much for us both.

I would recommend anyone I know to pay them a visit if in Skipton for the day. Even if only got a drink, a real pub for a change.

• Visited July 2014

Co. Durham
“Excellent dog friendly pub”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Always given a warm welcome with treats for our dog. Food is very tasty with plenty of choice. Would definitely be our local if we lived in Skipton. Well done Ben and Natasha and all your team and congratulations on your new arrival!

Visited June 2014
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“What a pub should be!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner came on an impromptu visit to Skipton so didn't have time to research places in advance. We were walking down the high street with our dog, looking for somewhere to eat where we could take him inside, and saw a blackboard advertising the Royal Shepherd, saying they were dog friendly and served home made food. We decided to give it a go.

We walked the 150yards to the pub down an alley. It's set next to the canal, it's really pretty. A bowl of water for dogs sits at the entrance, always a good sign! The welcome was warm, not the 'you're not from round here, what do you want?!?!!!?!' approach you can often find in local pubs.

My husband had a pint of York Guzzler and I had a coke, drink prices were really reasonable. We ordered from the two meals for £9.95 menu, a lasagna and a sausage and mash, the food was absolutely lovely and clearly home made, so rare to find pubs that can make good in anything other than a microwave these days without doing thorough research!!! When the food was brought out they also brought a plate of dog biscuits for our pooch was such a cute touch!

I'd definitely come back here if I found myself in Skipton again if I was after hearty food and a warm welcome! Keep up the good work!

“Great hidden treasure”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in after eating elsewhere , but will be back to try this . Hidden behind the hussle of Skipton high street is a family run hidden treasure . Fantastic husband and wife team . He runs the bar ( Bill or Ben I think his name is ) and his wife Mandy who's food was talking to me even though I was full from eating elsewhere I had to talk myself from sampling some Yorkshire delights again . Keep up the good work guys from the 4 pubs I've been in today u guys up north are doing a great job . Cheers

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Brill pub”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is a must pub to visit , great beer , cider etc etc , they let dogs in which is ace as we always have Ruby with us . It is still an old fashioned style pub with lots of character .