“Full English”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had planned to eat here at lunch time after researching local eateries on trip advisor but the time of my appointment meant we missed breakfast and so it was about 10:00 on the 20th when we arrived. We had a hearty welcome from the lady behind the counter and she quickly took our order for tea and full English breakfast. Our brews soon came, a nice large pot of freshly brewed tea. We waited a short while for our food which was freshly cooked to order, a fabulous plate of bacon, sausages, beans, black pudding, waffle, mushrooms, tomato, egg and a doorstep slab of toast. Everything was of good quality and perfectly cooked. The café is clean and bright with outdoor seating for the nicer days. We would be happy to come back next time we are in Skipton.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Lovely little café with owners who like to please, Had an all day breakfast and a cappuccino asked if I liked my cappuccino medium or strong, nice to be asked. Had to wait a short while for food but when it's made to order you can't expect anything else, food fine, cappuccino so good I had a second cup. Place clean and service outstanding.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I may be totally wrong in this, in which case I apologise to the owners, but I reckon this is the story. A fiercely-patriotic career serviceman is serving overseas, meets and marries his wife while abroad, and then when they "retire" from service life, they set up a little café/restaurant in Skipton. They love the Union Jack and all it stands for, so the décor for their investment is patriotic red, white and blue. Call me a romantic, but that's how I'd like the story to be!

We chanced across Union Jack's by accident, Skipton just happened to be on our way from A to B - and there was easy parking by the side of the restaurant. But what a welcome we received when we entered: it was a quiet day midweek, but even so the Oriental lady behind the counter made such a fuss of us! Our needs were modest, but that made no difference: she set about making up our order and bringing it to our table with great enthusiasm.

When we had finished, I approached the counter to ask where the loo was, only to find the lady had disappeared - it was school-run time - and in her place was a man (the husband?) What a character! Military courtesy and bearing filled every pore of his body: if he had been a soldier, clearly he was proud to have been a soldier; now he was a café proprietor, he was proud to be a café proprietor. (The toilet, incidentally, was immaculately clean and well-serviced. Of course.)

This is a restaurant that it's worth making a detour to visit, not just for the excellent food and drink, but also for the amazing welcome you'll receive from a lovely couple. Thoroughly recommended!

1  Thank RadioGuyNottingham
Reviewed 2 June 2014

First of all, this is not a restaurant - it is a simple unpretentious cafe that punches well above its weight. The place is bright and clean and weather permitting there is outside seating. However what really makes this place stand out is the tremendous quality of the food on offer and the fantastic value for money. All of the hot dishes are freshly cooked to order, portion sizes are generous and the friendliness, attentiveness and cheerful dispositions of the proprietors is a joy to behold. When in Skipton don't bother with any of the other tea/coffee shops or cafes - go straight to Union Jacks!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the Union Jack logo perhaps gives a first impression that this cafe doesn't deserve. Whereas the outward appearance is of a cheap n chearful caff, the reality is of a well decorated and lovely place to eat. The Oriental lady who served us is absolutely charming and a most friendly and welcoming hostess. We never saw the other half of the partnership, confined to the kitchen no doubt, but our bacon butties were absolutely delicious.

Service was very good and the lady made sure that we were pleased with our food and offered extra hot water to top up the more than ample tea pot. I spotted someone having the full English breakfast and, suffice to say, I am determined to revisit to have one as it looked fantastic.

This cafe has everything that you could possibly want: it is well decorated and comfortable; the food is of excellent quality and reasonably priced; and the service is exceptionally friendly and caring.

Highly recommended.