“Very pleasantly surprised!”
Review of Herriots Hotel

Herriots Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skipton
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Really enjoyed our stay here - the staff were very friendly and helpful, the location excellent, and our room was comfortable with 2 sinks in the bathroom which is great when you have a husband like mine! We ate in the restaurant as it was part of our package along with chocs and fizz in the room and the food was delicious - we will certainly be back!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2009

I came across Herriots by accident, I was away on business and was required to stay an extra night, the hotel were I was staying was fully booked and could not offer me another nights stay, luckily they managed to find me a room at Herriots. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. I also eat in the restaurant, the steak I had was excellent , they was also a friendly atmosphere in the bar. The next time I’m in the area on business I will defiantly be staying at Herriots.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel on 28th January - I had already stayed at the hotel a few years ago for business & specifically requested to stay at this hotel again as it was very good.
Once I got to the hotel I went to my room - which is probably an optimistic term for it!. I stayed in room 20 & it was tiny. It had a single bed (when a double room was requested) and wasn't very well lit. The TV was put so high on the wall that I got a sore neck from watching it!
I wanted to order room service w'hile I worked & had to call reception for a menu & the wifi password. I ordered steak & it was delivered very quickly. The portions were huge but I had asked for my steak to be well done - unfortunately, it was still bleeding!
I tried the wifi which worked for about 5mins then I couldn't connect for the rest of the night.
The bathroom was also tiny & being quite tall, the shower being positioned under the beams of the roof proved a problem & I Had to wash my hair crouching down!
Breakfast was ok but it took a while to be seated even though there were no more than 10 other guests in the room. The staff or should I say one waitress didn't tell me or my boss whether we had to help ourselves or antyhing and I had to ask twice for my tea.
The biggest problem was that my boss had booked to stay as well but arrived late. This shouldn't have been a problem as when I checked in the receptionist told me that there was a night porter & the paperwork that we had said that late arrivals were guaranteed. Unfortunately, this wasn't true. I had to come down in the night to let him in & then we found reception was locked up for the night! In the end he slept in his car - not good when you have day of meetings ahead! He finally got inat 7am & the receptionist told him that there was no night porter! She said that our copmpany would not be charged for his room & he could take a shower & also have breakfast! Not much of a consolation to him.
I will definately not be staying here again for business nor pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LouiseK78
Reviewed 11 January 2009

I stayed here for one night whilst in Skipton on business. The location is relatively convenient being right opposite the train station, but its a 10 minute walk into the town centre.

The hotel is also well priced, offering decent value.

I stayed in a 'classic' room, i.e. in the original building, an old house. To be honest, the room wasn't particularly nice with dated decor, draughts from the window and an average bathroom. You also get the traffic noise from the main road. If you stay in this hotel, I'd therefore recommend you request one of the 'contemporary' rooms at the rear of the building. These are in a newly built extension and I understand that they have been more recently decorated.

One other thing to note, staff were lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Very disappointed in the deluxe room was expecting deluxe suite but got a normal standard room!
When I booked for my special occasion I expected a deluxe room which is shown on the website, instead I just got the stardard travel lodge room but paid deluxe prices (£110).

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank karenc12
Reviewed 29 October 2008

I have stayed here over 10 times now for business and nothing really is too much trouble for David and Viv, the Managers. Now the refurbishment is complete, I stay in the most amazing rooms whose decor I would love in my own home. Whenever I arrive late they arrange for me to have dinner immediately either in my room or in the restaurant. I have read some other review that state the floorboards creak,I would be more surpirised if they didn't considering the age of the building!

All in all I always look forward to my return and am there on Tuesday night .

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Webb-Family
Reviewed 10 October 2008

The day before I left for this hotel I read some of the reviews here and was horrified. I was prepared for the worst but found nothing but the best.

Firstly location, right opposite the station, near to the main town and with a lovely canal walk behind, leading to a small park. I was there for a conference so didn't get much opportunity to look around but the first night when I got lost in the town I asked someone for directions and it turned out he worked at the hotel and escorted me back.

That was typical of the friendliness of the staff, with special mention to the breakfast waitress who remembered to ask how the conference had gone. Breakfast itself was lovely. I didn't want the cooked breakfast but the buffet was more than adequate with wonderful freshly baked croissants on the Sunday. In the evening the portions were so large that the second night I had soup and salad and planned to have one of the many delicious puddings but I was too full. As a vegetarian there did not seem to be a great choice of main meals but I got the impression if I had asked something would have been arranged. The cappucino was lovely too.

My room was extremely comfortable and well appointed, beautifully clean and crisp white duvet cover, nice full length mirror, tea making equipment. The bathroom was clean. The room was on the main road but noise was never a problem.

Little quibbles.......breakfast does not start until 8.30 am at a weekend and this was too late for me so I ordered room service which did not arrive. When I went down to find out why they could not apologise enough and I was invited to go into the dining room early. There was someone else's wet towel left hanging up in the bathroom, easily overlooked, and when I found the cleaner had left my plug stuck in the plughole and the lever to lift it was missing, the receptionist herself came up and unjammed it.

I found this to be a really lovely, comfortable and friendly place to stay and I would not hesitate to return, in fact I wished I had been staying for longer.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Petalle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skipton
Rendezvous Hotel
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burnsall

Been to Herriots Hotel? Share your experiences!