“Theft causes disappointment”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skipton
Cambridgeshire
“Theft causes disappointment”
Reviewed 16 April 2006

We did have a pleasant stay at this hotel, but did experience a few problems.

I booked the hotel (directly) and was told that only one executive room was available for the night I wanted - in the new part of the hotel with canal veiws. We were slightly disappointed when we arrived to be given a standard room in the old part of the hotel, but in fairness this room was still clean and comfortable and we were only charged standard room rates. We had been in our room for about 30 minutes when a kettle arrived, the milk for the tea never did turn up and there was only one set of towels.

We had a meal in the hotel restaurant on Saturday evening, which was delicious... and the breakfast was excellent - definitely worth waiting for everything to be freshly cooked to order! Both the bar and restaurant staff couldn't be faulted for their friendliness & helpfulness.

Our biggest disappointment, was that our motorcycles tank bags were stolen from the hotel car park, despite the CCTV. The reception staff called the police, who arrived within the hour. I know this isn't the fault of the hotel, but it did take the shine off our stay.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank HelenCambs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Reviewed 24 March 2006

The Herriots Hotel in Skipton is a four storey hotel with a 'traditional' section and a 'modernised' section. Certainly the building is nice and the conservatory looked gorgeous, combining new with old. The bar was very comfortable and pleasant. The decor was okay, if a little odd looking - somehow dark and bright at the same time, and the bar had a good atmosphere early on the Saturday night as locals filled it up pre-pubcrawl.

The staff were lovely, in the main - in particular the young woman on night reception and one of the breakfast servers - but when we reported the broken flush on the loo on our first night, the Manager promised he would have it mended the next day (we were staying two nights) and then didn't (I suppose we only mentioned it twice); when the batteries in the TV remote were found to be dead, the Manager had to go through 9 different remotes behind reception, eventually resorting to pinching batteries out of the remote for their fancy new projector (why didn't they just have a pack of batteries behind reception?) He also needed to be asked twice for a wakeup call. Overall the Manager's response to anything asked for was always to give the impression of him going to a lot of trouble whilst attempting to cover up the fact that he was totally disorganised. He couldn't even find our booking-in form when we first arrived, asking us just to write down our name and address on a post-it note. No credit card imprint, no nothing. We could have easily done a runner (though we didn't).
The food was inconsistent - the dinner dry, the breakfast quite reasonable and satisfying, but LOUSY LOUSY LOUSY very weak instant coffee (they should be ashamed of themselves).
The room was nice, if a little small, with the creakiest floorboards ever walked upon and again this strange dark bright decor - but everything was clean and we certainly had a pleasant stay, though we came away feeling that it had been a slightly bizarre experience.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2005

I have booked into Herriots for quite a long period as I am currently working in Skipton.

The staff are wonderful, warm & friendly & as I am a lone female & away from home 5 nights per week this is much appreciated.The room I have stayed in is huge & comfortable with a great view of the canal. It is in the old part of the hotel & parts of it look a little tired but still excellent.

Another review has stated that the breakfast service is a little slow & I have to agree with that but this is because the food is cooked to order & not mass produced. I personnaly do not mind waiting a little longer as I know the food is fresh.

I cannot reccommend the staff too highly & as they are all friendly & make you feel part of a little family. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Skipton.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank stuffedface
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2005

The room was booked a brithday present for myself. We arrived early and were allowed to check into our room early. The staff were extremely helpful and provided information when it was needed. Our room was neat, tidy and well presented. The views over the canal were nice to wake up to.

When we arrived back in the evening, the bar satff were nice and served us late drinks. We had a lovely visit and would definately return.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank Danielle D
Reviewed 25 May 2005

I found the location of this hotel very sweet and the hotel itself was immaculatly kept. The room I stayed in was exceptional. It had a large television with DVD player and reception loaned me some DVDs to watch, after i enjoyed quite some time in the whirlpool bath! The bed was enormous and i had a wonderful nights sleep. They provided tea and coffee, a hairdryer and quality toiletries, not just sachets of shower gel like most hotels. The view from my french windows was very pleasant and i enjoyed looking at the canal boats and overlooking the park also.

The staff were smiling and friendly and i felt very welcome. The management, Viv, Dave and Pete, were really helpful and despite the hotel being extremely busy with a wedding party had plenty of time for me and my friends and made us feel at home. They made us laugh and felt like i'd known them for ages. They were very well presented and they all knew procedures and had all the information i needed, and by the time i went to bed on the first night, they all knew our names.

The bar was very modern and the staff knew exactly what they were doing. Everything was clean, the chairs were comfortable and i could have spent hours in there. The food was wonderful and service; flawless.

The conservatory was beautiful, helped by the weather i'm sure as the room was very warm and the chairs almost as comfortable as the bed in my room.

I would go back there any day and would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2005

We were staying here to attend a family party in a nearby village. My husband had made the bookings for a large group of us. When some of our party arrived at 2.00pm they were told they could not check into their rooms until 4.00pm by the gentleman on reception which was to say the least inconvenient as we had to leave for our party at 4.30pm.

We met the family there and decided to walk into Skipton for a drink whilst waiting for our rooms. It is a lovely walk along the canal however beware the dog mess which is plentiful!

We returned to the hotel at 3.30pm hoping to pursuade them to let us check in a little "early" which as check out time is 11am did not seem to be unresonable and were told rather brusquely that of course our rooms were ready. We were then told the required number of rooms were not available and as they had a wedding party in no other rooms were free. After around 10 minutes and some confusion over names the relevant rooms were found after all. However when the last of our party arrived later that evening they were again told they did not have a room booked and had to go through exactly the same confusion.

Our room was part of the old building and not one of the rooms overlooking the canal. It was tired, musty and very old fashioned. The "double" bed was tiny and so uncomfortable we managed only a couple of hours sleep. We had a very small portable televison, a shower and no bath and when the toilet was flushed it felt and sounded like the whole thing was going to explode.

The bar was nice although a little impersonal. I was stunned to learn that just as for non residents it would close at 11.00pm for residents although when I pushed this point they said they might be prepared to serve until 12.00. When we returned at 11.50 the bar man would not serve us without consultation with his manager. We had a rather hurried drink and then left not wanting to disturb the staff.

The next day only half of our party received the newspapers they had ordered and my sister in law had no hairdryer in her room and got no help at all from reception to find one. We went down for breakfast and the large table for our party was wedged into the other tables so if we went to get juice we had to disturb around 6 other groups of people.

Personally my breakfast was delicious as was my husbands. However the service was extrememly slow. My brother in law ordered tea which took 30mins to get to the table and only arrived after several reminders. Several of our party had fried eggs which were actually not cooked and had to send their food back.

Whilst waiting to leave the receptionist came stomping over and asked if the newspapers I had were mine like I had stolen them. When I said yes she turned heel threw me a glare and then stalked off. She was obviously astounded anyone in that hotel had managed to get a newspaper.

The hotel was a huge disapointment. I can live with a room being not as I expected but combined with the appalling service we received it was just not good enough. As our family had checked in at different times and received the same sub-standard service I can not even think this was an isolated incident. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed May 2005
14 Thank Izzyk
Reviewed 14 March 2005

We held our wedding party at Herriots for nearly 100 people, the whole weekend was perfect. Many guests stayed at the hotel and the Saturday night was superb. We had a superb hot buffet meal and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms in the new wing overlooking the canel are delightful and very comfortable and stylish. The staff were very friendly and helpful, thank you Herriots.

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skipton
Rendezvous Hotel
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Woolly Sheep Inn
The Woolly Sheep Inn
#3 of 33 in Skipton

Been to Herriots Hotel? Share your experiences!