“Great pizza let down by poor service and overpriced drinks and desserts”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #103 of 150 Restaurants in Skipton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Great pizza let down by poor service and overpriced drinks and desserts”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Not sure why this fairly new restaurant was understaffed and badly organised on an early Friday evening but it was,and we will not be visiting again.Pizzas when we got them were very good but the desserts were underwhelming
(not much for the money!).Drinks very expensive.

• Visited August 2014

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing visit”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We'd not been to the Skipton restaurant before but have visited many other Pizza Express's and always enjoyed our visits.
My husband ordered a fiorentina pizza on a romano base and I ordered a calzone. My calzone was a little overdone but my husbands pizza was quite charred in places. The waitress agreed and said she'd get a fresh one with no issue. When this came it wasn't burned but the white of the egg on top was not cooked. Unfortunately it was so uncooked my husband had to return it again. The manager asked if he wanted another and my husband said he wouldn't bother because it had been wrong twice and I had actually finished my main course at this point. The rather rude manager said it was my husbands fault because the fiorentina is hard to cook on that base! If that is the case then it should not be offered.
At this point we just wanted to leave so we asked for the bill before receiving the dessert and drink from the childrens menu.
We hadn't been charged for the pizza but had been charged in full for everything else. We asked our waitress if the manager had anything else to say and she said she thought we'd been treated badly and things had been handled poorly.
The meal was to celebrate my birthday and we were with our 2 year old and newborn son - the treatment we received was very upsetting.

1 Thank TrishandNeil
Skipton
“Lacking flavours”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Four of us visited Pizza Express last Sunday. It was very quiet and the service was good, very pleasant staff. That's about the best I can say about the place. The food is very expensive for very average tasteless food. It all reads well on the menu, but delivers bland. I'm amazed it gets busy with this in mind, but I guess people go with lots of voucher offers to make the prices more sensible. I wouldn't even go again on that basis as I like my pizza and pasta to have flavour. The bill has a 10% service charge automatically added, always a great annoyance of mine as surely it's up to the customer to make that decision, or not. Also the halal chicken issue is definitely something people ought to know about and reject. We should patronise our local eateries which we have in town instead of these big chain groups.

• Visited August 2014
“Oh my god”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Well I have never waited so long to be fed we went in with the grandchildren after one and a half hours waiting the food arrived .The children's menu not even half the choices were available then told 2 out of the 3 desert choices not available utterly disgraceful never going into pizza express again disgraceful .

Skipton, United Kingdom
“All chicken on the menu is Halal but they'd rather not tell you.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

As a couple we visited Pizza express a few weeks after it opened. They'd run out dough (seriously) so our choice became rather limited but the food was good if a little expensive. When I subsequently learned that Pizza Express only use Halal chicken in their food I was appalled and disgusted that there was nothing in the restaurant informing customers of this fact. How many millions of other customers continue to eat meat slaughtered in such a barbaric manner, without even knowing it? I won't have anything to do with any business that supports Halal slaughter - including Pizza Express.

• Visited April 2014