“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The restaurant is in a lovely setting in Skipton and very clean. The starters were ok, the sauces for the main meals tasty but the chicken was really tough and bland and included lumps of skin - a real turn off for me.

There are newer reviews for Aagrah

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I regularly visit the Aagrah, but that will change now. The poppadoms at the start come with spices, which on previous occasions I have questioned as they do not always look 'fresh'. On this occasion they had bits of poppadom in them - floating around, presumably from the last person who had used them!

I complained about this and was given some different spices and sauces - no apology or recognition that this was very poor.

On a previous occasion I have been hit with rice that was thrown from another table ... again no apology (in fact, the staff pretended that they were not aware of it, when everybody else in the restaurant was)!

I think the location is very good; staff pleasant enough; selected dishes nice. However, there is a standards issue at this Aagrah - it is more about turnover than the quality of food. There are much better restaurants in Skipton.

2  Thank Gowser100
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Superb tasting food with lots of meat and fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection. Superb service and great nans. Don't bother with the Lal Tufan lager though, it's a bit on the week side. Stick to the stronger, tastier Tiger beer. Superb food though

1  Thank britishSheffield
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I'd start by saying that we booked for the upstairs buffet option and that we've had and very much enjoyed the same a couple of times at the Shipley 'sister' restaurant. Secondly The restored canalside warehouse(?) is superb both as a fascinating and tastefully adapted building and in terms of its quaint location beside (and above!) the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.
We parked right outside, walked in........ and then...........................
Firstly, the guy who greeted us had that slightly flustered attitude which I'm sure he intends to convey the idea.... 'look how busy and hardworking I am?' but which actually transmits the message.... 'I'm inefficient and not up to the job'. We were eventually ushered to a beautiful galleried waiting area overlooking the canal..... and left, I would have expected a drink order being taken, but no. Eventually we were shown to our table and, well, abandoned!
Eventually we ordered drinks and after some time and a reminder, they arrived. Nobody offered us any guidance so we wandered off to get food.
Now the food quality was excellent I have to say, the lamb dish was as good as I've had anywhere, as was the chicken korma, of which I'm not usually a major fan. But here comes another downer..... the range of dishes available was nowhere near as extensive as the Shipley restaurant. The top up frequency was poor too, several dishes were low.
Following another mildly amusing incident in which the couple at the next table received our bill... we eventually paid it ourselves, upped sticks and left. Nobody spoke to us on exit, I would normally thank the head waiter/maître d person but there was no-one in sight.
Back to Shipley next time I think!

2  Thank Mick B
Reviewed 23 August 2014

1st visit . Found the staff and service to be poor . One member of staff just grunted at us whilst serving . My major gripe was being served a chefs special ££££ wild mushroom and potato dish that had no mushrooms .

I questioned the waiter if we had been given the wrong dish . I was told that these were special mushrooms that did not look like ordinary mushrooms !!! .so there you are . This restaurant serves very expensive invisible mushrooms .then insults you .

This created a bad atmosphere for the rest of the meal . The rest of the food was pretty average and decidedly poor coinciding the high priced menu .

3  Thank Mark R