“Relaxing break.”

The Cawdor
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Llandeilo
“Relaxing break.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here several times over the years and it's always our first choice for a break. The hotel is perfectly located on a parade of quirky shops and quaint pubs and has a large private car park to the rear. The hotel itself has classy decor and has a very calm and relaxing ambience. Service is first class and very friendly. The rooms are amazing and so reasonably priced for the standard they are. Bathrooms are luxurious- first thing I do on arrival is have a Molton Brown bubble bath with a glass of something bubbly!

This time we took advantage of the Sunday half price rooms offer- a fabulous room and bathroom with flat screen telly, bathrobes, DVD and breakfast included for £42.50. Ridiculously good value. We arrived early and our room was ready for us. We had booked in for lunch and had a gorgeous two course meal piping hot and great quality. Again, super service. After a wander around Llandeilo ( not much open on a Sunday) we had a drink in the lovely little pub opposite the hotel- the White Horse. We then had a bar meal in the hotel- salad and chips on the side. As it was a Sunday the restaurant was closed in the evening and the bar stopped serving food at 8 and actually closed completely at 10 so worth double checking if you are staying on a Sunday what time things will be open til.

Breakfast was great- proper toast, cereals, sausage, bacon, smoked salmon and eggs to name but a few things. Definitely worth a stay- we will be back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorna0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Ok I have stayed here previously on about 10 different occasions and I don't think I have left a review before so here goes. Its a lovely typical old town centre hotel, right on the main road through Llandeilo. As you walk in through the front door you are greeted by quite a dark lobby area with lots of dark wood panelling and one of the smallest reception desks for a hotel of this size. Next to this is a much lighter lounge area with a wonderful open fire place and always lots of people having afternoon tea. There is a bar area, which is quite austere in appearance but has a very well stocked bar and also a large separate restaurant area. Be advised the restaurant does not open on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, but they do some very nice bar snacks so its worthwhile staying in to eat. The hotel has two floors above of rooms and no lift (that I have noticed anyway) and then we come to the rooms which are the main plus for the hotel as the bathrooms in the main are wonderful and beds and bedding are lovely. One downside is the TVs don't have the full range of Freeview channels, but if you are not bothered about watching the tv and are more interested in a lovely bed in comfortable surroundings then this is the place. One thing to be aware of is the car park which is above and behind the hotel and it is quite a number of steps down the outside of the building to get to reception, no I know I am not fit but when I walk back to my car in the morning with a suitcase and a laptop I don't half know about it. There is a loading zone right outside the hotel which you can stop your car in and unload/load you cases there, it big enough for 2 to 3 vehicles. Oh last point, I know I always have a big moan about having to make my own toast in hotels at breakfast, but at least this place has proper bread and a proper toaster rather than one of those conveyor belt machines that can never do toast properly.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the road noise then go for one of the rooms at the front
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jon G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my first time staying at The Cawdor, and it won't be my last.
We were checked in within a few minutes, and a wonderful man called Jake explained all of the necessaries we needed to know (breakfast, newspapers etc) and offered to help with our bags.
The rooms are named after local castles, which is a nice touch, and we were staying in the Talley. What a lovely room! Big, wide bed, beautiful antique furniture including a vintage style wardrobe, and a lovely dressing table. The bathroom was a real show stopper! Probably the most impressive and luxurious shower I have ever seen! We were so impressed, I cannot rate it highly enough! I must also mention breakfast - very nice indeed. Good choice, good portions and very tasty.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susannah B
Battle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Cawdor and found all the staff to be warm, helpful and very welcoming. Although I arrived a couple of hours before the usual check-in time I was able to access my room early and relax after a long rail journey. My room was very comfortable with a pristine, recently renovated bathroom. Breakfast was delicious, the locally sourced bacon and sausages were high quality and well-prepared. I will certainly be returning to this gem of a hotel in the heart of a lovely Welsh market town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Maggie C
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Tripadvisor to the fore again and we found the Cawdor to be all we expected.
The bedrooms were a treat with really comfortable beds and perfect bedding for a really restful sleep.
However, the main road runs through Llandeilo just inches from the hotel frontage and my room shook as huge wagons went past all but shaking the cups! Luckily I had packed my ear plugs so I did get my kip, but my colleague said he was woken early by the traffic, and he was on the side of the hotel.
If you're a light sleeper, do yourself a favour and ask for a room at the back.
The bathroom was beautifully kitted out with a powerful twin headed power shower, large basin, fluffy white towels, and good toiletries.
Also a fantastic car park at the rear with plenty of secure off street parking.

Down side, though is the remainder of the hotel. It has all been newly decorated, but furniture is dated. Lighting is appalling and the dining from felt more like a village hall, with its LED Christmas lights festooned around the dado!
Bar was dismal and unappealing.
I think I can understand the the Cawdor is a work in progress, and that as and when funding permits the common area to be upgraded to the same quality as the bedrooms, the hotel is going to be a destination of choice.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MoscowMaleEngland
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at The Cawdor hotel as my cousin and best friend were getting married there, and I was the Maid Of Honour. The Hotel is well presented and had a classy feel about it, very nice and clean.
I must say the receptionist was extremely helpful, no ask was too much, she was polite, proffessional and very welcoming. She even had mine and my mothers rooms cleaned swiftly so we could have a slightly earlier check in which was such a help. She was so kind to my mother and helped her out with her catsuit splitting! The problem was solved with help, which shes so grateful for. She also phoned me after I had left to say I had left my charger behind the desk to ask if I would like it sending onto me! It arrived the next day, she was totally on the ball :)
I stayed with the bride to be the night before her wedding in the Bridal Suite, and WOW! Its absolutely gorgeous up there, its like an apartment size! Massive bed, could have slept 4 in there, beautiful beams which added character, very spacious bathroom with double doors, which was perfect for the bride to get into her dress. It was just a fabulous room, plenty of space the morning of the wedding for us three bridesmaids, mother of the bride, the hair dresser, videographer and photographer without being in each others way. The ONLY downside was that there was no lift to get to the top floor, and given the amount of trips up and down the many flights of stairs, it makes you a little flustered and short of breath! but totally worth it.
The room I booked into the day of the wedding was nicely decorated in blue, it had a double comfy bed, dressing table and a large bathroom with a power shower, very modern, very clean, and was happy with it.
The breakfast was fresh, hot, and plentiful. I asked for beans on the full english the morning after the wedding as they dont come with the breakfast and they were happy to provide. Very enjoyable both mornings.
The Wedding Planner and the staff the day of the wedding were FANTASTIC! Again, nothing was too much trouble, and all were so helpful prepping the decoration etc.. everything went smoothly and the function room looked breathtaking. The little chapel attached to the Cawdor was just beautiful, it was such a romantic close nit ceremony, and again the registra was brill, and the staff again escorting us bridal party, up to her walking into the chapel were fantastic. They made us all feel so special, with special attention to the bride, which is how it should be :)
The food was buffet style, with a selection of hot served meats accompanied by a few side dishes incl. cous cous and pasta, it was lovely.
The day and night went great, and the service throughout was good. It was a little shame that the tables in the function room were being stripped down whilst the celebration was still going on, felt like we were being rushed to get out of there a bit, would have been nicer to be asked to move into the bar area if the time was up, and then strip down, rather than stripping down while guests are still sat enjoying their drink. My partner and I joined two other family members at the bar at the end of the night where the barman was just a gem! Very chirpy and great service. The choice of drinks were great and didnt find them overpriced at all for a wedding venue, so very happy with that.
All in all, this venue is lovely and set in the quaintest village and the staff make it even better, I would definately recommend to others :)
I think the Bride and Groom made a wonderful wedding venue choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lamp_jade
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at The Cawdor as part of a wedding and the staff could not have been more helpful before, during and after our stay. Comfortable rooms finished to a high standard (the bathrooms in particular), delicious food and a lovely ambience made for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandeilo
The Plough Inn
Emlyn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newcastle Emlyn
Travelodge Llanelli Cross Hands
Best Western Diplomat Hotel & Spa

Been to The Cawdor? Share your experiences!