“lovely room and friendly welcome.”
Review of The Cawdor

The Cawdor
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Llandeilo
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Friendly welcome. Lovely room in the courtyard. Breakfast very good. Freshly cooked to order each day. So much better than the usual help yourself buffet where you items have dried up under a lamp. Unless you have to, don't stay on a Sunday night as Llandeilo shuts soon after lunch and unless you want to drive you will struggle to find a meal on Sunday evening. Staff were very friendly and helpful. If you are in LLandeilon Monday or Tuesday evening when the Cawdor restaurant is shut go to The Angel just up the street for Dinner.

Room Tip: Lovely room road traffic noise at the front of the hotel could be a problem for some

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here with our 9mth old son and found the staff very helpful indeed (especially the young man who helped carry our pushchair to the car park at the end of our visit). Our room was quiet and the travel cot was large enough that he settled quickly! We were in Room 6 - very spacious and a decent bathroom. The lounge downstairs was a good place to grab a coffee and we loved our breakfasts.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, rooms have names not numbers which immediately feels more personal (even though I couldn't pronounce the name of our room and just had to whip out the key card every time I needed to communicate it to a member of staff!). The bed was comfortable, with proper fluffy pillows and the bathroom was amazing - what a wonderful shower!! We were 2 couples and had been assigned adjacent rooms, but there was a problem with the key to my sister-in-law's room and so they were moved to another room on the same floor - which turned out to be even more luxurious than our room and had a four-poster bed and an enormous bathroom. The staff were friendly, the breakfast was delicious, the lounge area was very comfortable to sit in and have a drink and there are a few tables to sit at outside and watch the world go by. The hotel is ideally located, being right in the centre of the pretty town and a convenient base for visiting the Brecon Beacons and the many castles in the area.

You need to be aware, though, that there is no lift, and you have to be prepared for a lot of stair-climbing. And, although there's a drop-off area directly in front of the hotel, there are a few steps up from the street to the hotel entrance - and the car park is behind the hotel on a much higher level, so there are many many many steps down to (or up from) the hotel.

We loved the Cawdor!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cawdor last night and had a fantastic evening, the room really was lovely, all the staff were friendly and made us feel really welcome. The breakfast was also pretty much perfect, lovely quality meats and well cooked scrambled eggs, the coffee was also very nice!

In terms of value for money I really think the Cawdor is spot on, I've stayed in better but have paid a lot more for the privilege, the Cawdor seemed to strike the balance between not being posh and pretentious yet still offering an element of indulgence and luxury, we felt really comfortable there.

The only negative, is that the wifi was terrible, I couldn't get any signal in my room, and even in the lobby it wasn't brilliant, as the owner of an internet business this caused a fair bit of stress!

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here several times over the years and it's always our first choice for a break. The hotel is perfectly located on a parade of quirky shops and quaint pubs and has a large private car park to the rear. The hotel itself has classy decor and has a very calm and relaxing ambience. Service is first class and very friendly. The rooms are amazing and so reasonably priced for the standard they are. Bathrooms are luxurious- first thing I do on arrival is have a Molton Brown bubble bath with a glass of something bubbly!

This time we took advantage of the Sunday half price rooms offer- a fabulous room and bathroom with flat screen telly, bathrobes, DVD and breakfast included for £42.50. Ridiculously good value. We arrived early and our room was ready for us. We had booked in for lunch and had a gorgeous two course meal piping hot and great quality. Again, super service. After a wander around Llandeilo ( not much open on a Sunday) we had a drink in the lovely little pub opposite the hotel- the White Horse. We then had a bar meal in the hotel- salad and chips on the side. As it was a Sunday the restaurant was closed in the evening and the bar stopped serving food at 8 and actually closed completely at 10 so worth double checking if you are staying on a Sunday what time things will be open til.

Breakfast was great- proper toast, cereals, sausage, bacon, smoked salmon and eggs to name but a few things. Definitely worth a stay- we will be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna0
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Ok I have stayed here previously on about 10 different occasions and I don't think I have left a review before so here goes. Its a lovely typical old town centre hotel, right on the main road through Llandeilo. As you walk in through the front door you are greeted by quite a dark lobby area with lots of dark wood panelling and one of the smallest reception desks for a hotel of this size. Next to this is a much lighter lounge area with a wonderful open fire place and always lots of people having afternoon tea. There is a bar area, which is quite austere in appearance but has a very well stocked bar and also a large separate restaurant area. Be advised the restaurant does not open on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, but they do some very nice bar snacks so its worthwhile staying in to eat. The hotel has two floors above of rooms and no lift (that I have noticed anyway) and then we come to the rooms which are the main plus for the hotel as the bathrooms in the main are wonderful and beds and bedding are lovely. One downside is the TVs don't have the full range of Freeview channels, but if you are not bothered about watching the tv and are more interested in a lovely bed in comfortable surroundings then this is the place. One thing to be aware of is the car park which is above and behind the hotel and it is quite a number of steps down the outside of the building to get to reception, no I know I am not fit but when I walk back to my car in the morning with a suitcase and a laptop I don't half know about it. There is a loading zone right outside the hotel which you can stop your car in and unload/load you cases there, it big enough for 2 to 3 vehicles. Oh last point, I know I always have a big moan about having to make my own toast in hotels at breakfast, but at least this place has proper bread and a proper toaster rather than one of those conveyor belt machines that can never do toast properly.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the road noise then go for one of the rooms at the front
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon G
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my first time staying at The Cawdor, and it won't be my last.
We were checked in within a few minutes, and a wonderful man called Jake explained all of the necessaries we needed to know (breakfast, newspapers etc) and offered to help with our bags.
The rooms are named after local castles, which is a nice touch, and we were staying in the Talley. What a lovely room! Big, wide bed, beautiful antique furniture including a vintage style wardrobe, and a lovely dressing table. The bathroom was a real show stopper! Probably the most impressive and luxurious shower I have ever seen! We were so impressed, I cannot rate it highly enough! I must also mention breakfast - very nice indeed. Good choice, good portions and very tasty.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I hope to visit again soon.

1  Thank Susannah B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandeilo
The Plough Rhosmaen
Travelodge Llanelli Cross Hands
Emlyn Hotel
Emlyn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newcastle Emlyn

Been to The Cawdor? Share your experiences!